Sign in to follow this  
Shayne

Latest NGX update question

Has anyone downloaded the update and run it and had success with the update without deleting everything first??

It seems there have been problems and it works so well I am worried that I am going to have to update and re-install all the liveries ect.

Weather radar is great but I don't want to have the problems.

I know its not that huge of a deal but its the time I don't have.

Thanks

Update to what platform? Update from to download installer or from box.  Sorry, there are so many permutations that you have to be a little more specific. In general, if you follow instructions there's no problem with radar or liveries.

Also, please note forum rules require full names on your post in PMDG forums. Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

Sorry I purchased Dow load version direct from the site and just wanted to update to the latest versions I think its D for FSX.

Shayne Nofts

Sorry I purchased Dow load version direct from the site and just wanted to update to the latest versions I think its D for FSX.

Log into your account on our website. Click on View Previous Orders. Find and click on your original NGX order. Click on the link at the bottom of your order.

Kyle Rodgers

Has anyone downloaded the update and run it and had success with the update without deleting everything first??

They  be  a few  but  there be even more  that  had issues with the weather  radar not  working, see if  the repair options  works  for  you  if  it  doesn't  than you have  to do the uninstall/ reinstall option

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

=====
I downloaded the latest version and this is what it says, is this correct??  Also I have the 600/700 as well do i need to re-download that as well as I am not sure if I bought that version on the site or not its been a while.

PMDG 737-800/900NGX for FSX / FSX-SE            VERSION v1.10.6461

Sorry its Shayne Nofts and I forgot it in my above post

Also I have the 600/700 as well do i need to re-download that as well

Both base and extension packages have been revised up to 6461.

Dan Downs KCRP

Okay let me update and see what I get.

Thanks and I will keep you posted

Sorry its Shayne Nofts and I forgot it in my above post

You need to put  your name in your  signature  block  it  will save  you forgetting  to put  it  in your post  in future posts  you may make :mellow:

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

With SP1d, I deleted SP1c before installing 1d by choice.. But I made sure to back up

anything I might want to restore, such as aircraft.cfg's with the various liveries, etc..

With the last update, I tried to do a "repair", but it refused, and made me reinstall from

scratch again for some reason.. No real biggie.. It won't delete your liveries, but it will

place new aircraft.cfg's, and also overwrite any old sound files that use PMDG names.

So you do need to have those backed up if you want to restore the livery entries.

But it doesn't delete any other files that use different non PMDG names that might be in

the various folders.

It's no real issue for me, as I have multiple installs of FSX on various drives, and thus

the NGX..  I still have a working version of SP1c..  But of course, I don't use it any more.

I'll probably update that install to the present version before too long.. Or at least the

one I have as my main backup to my everyday user install. I actually still have two installs

with SP1c still..  But one is not as recent as the other, and doesn't have the latest sounds

I use.

IE: I use custom nose wheel sounds, tweaked engine sounds, etc.. I still use all the PMDG

engine sounds, but I've tweaked the volumes of some of the the wavs for a few, to more

closely match a fairly hi-fi recording taken from a different real world cockpit..

To protect the innocent, I better not name the airline.. chortle..

To me, it sounded slightly different from the PMDG default. Not a lot, but some..

A little less fan drone, a bit more high pitched whine, and once aloft, as much or more

wind noise, than engine.. You still hear the engine whine, but the wind is just as loud,

or even louder once you bump over 250 knots, and go to closer to 290-300+..

I run my FSX engine sound at only about 25%, with PMDG all set to default 50..

And the wind, etc is still up pretty high in FSX.. 

So I gotta save all that mess before updates if I want to keep it.  :lol:

a fairly hi-fi recording

This is probably where you're picking up differences. It's all about the equipment used. If it "feels" better to you with the sound changed, then do what you need to do, but I've always found it interesting how much time we invest in all of this only to have someone with a semi-pro camera/audio make a recording - up front, or worse yet, from a passenger seat - and say "your sounds are off."

Not only does it need to be hi-fi, it also needs to be configured correctly. A couple of my friends have gone out and installed some pretty nice stereo systems in their homes, and have complained about how it doesn't sound as good as the demo in the store. Well...yeah...it has to be configured for the environment. After messing around with the equipment, the angles, and the mix, things start coming together. Of course, the inverse is also true: the quality of the recorder and mixer for things going into the recording is going to affect how it sounds going out later. So, my bet is that whoever was doing the recording didn't properly mix it.

All that said - and as I said earlier - do what you need to do to feel like you're more immersed, but I felt like I should put it out there that there's a lot more to it than simply grabbing a recording implement and immediately having quality proof of what things really sound like.

I'm sure Ryan could speak more to the process as he's pretty interested in music and the mechanics of sound.

Kyle Rodgers

Actually, it wasn't really hi-fi as far as really hard core audio recording gear. It was actually

a HD video cam that just happened to have fairly uncolored audio recording, and I felt gave

a pretty good idea what the actual sound in that particular cockpit sounded like from the

two seats.

It was much better audio than 95.6 % of the other recordings I've seen. Or to my ears anyway..

You could hear almost everything, and seemed very clean and uncolored. So it gave me a

good idea what the typical 700 sounded like up front as far as engine spool up, power set

engine sound, tire noise rolling down the runway, and then the overall sound once in the air,

with the appx wind vs engine volumes. I didn't use it to make any new sounds.. Just as a guide

to what one might normally hear on the average 700 flight. And what I heard sounded slightly

different than the default sound.

So I tweaked a few of the wavs to get closer to what I heard on that recording. But like I say,

I'm still using all PMDG engine sounds. The only change is a few volume tweaks between a few

different wavs, and a lower overall engine volume vs wind, which I set in FSX sound menu itself.

And I didn't get it perfectly like I wanted, but fairly close. I can compare what I use now, to the

real world recording, and the pitch of the whine on spool up and power set, etc is pretty close.

You didn't hear near as much of the fan drone in the video as with the default 600/700 sounds.

Just very lightly in the distant background. The higher pitched "turbine" whine actually seemed

a good bit louder than the fan drone. So I lowered the fan drone down a bit, and slightly raised

the high pitch turbine whine. I noticed once they got up to speed, the wind almost knocked out

all the engine noise.. You mainly just hear a wind noise rushing sound.. Very little engine was

really noticed, except for a faint high pitch whine.

On most real world recordings, where I usually hear the fan drone the most is in the cabin

when ahead of the engines. It's pretty loud from that point. But I don't notice it being very

loud in the cockpit. Or at least I sure didn't on the recording I was using, and I would have

heard it if it were actually that loud.

But on landing, with the wind noise low, you could hear the engine whine again as they adjusted

the throttle..  The change in wind noise with speed up/down is quite noticeable. And my setup

mimics that pretty close.

And the nose gear sound I've been using has a lot of the "grooved runway" drone and rumble

to it. That sound is not PMDG, but instead made from another real world recording I ran across.

I actually have many different nose gear sounds, but have kind of stuck with one I like quite

a bit for the last few months.  And it's quite similar to the tire noise on the recording I used

for the engine wav volume tweaks.

Anyway, everyone is going to interpret what they hear a bit differently I suppose..

I didn't really have any problems with the sound recordings themselves. They are

quite high quality. Just maybe the mixing of them slightly.

It was actually a HD video cam that just happened to have fairly uncolored audio recording, and I felt gave a pretty good idea what the actual sound in that particular cockpit sounded like from the two seats.

To be honest, HD video equipment places more emphasis on the picture quality than it does sound. Relying on that for accuracy might get you close, but it's not going to be exact. Our recordings were made with actual, dedicated, audio equipment. There's nothing better than what you're going to get in the default sound set, with maybe a slight exception for the rolling sound, as you've pointed out.

I get that you think it might feel wrong based off of whatever random videos you've found as "evidence," so do what you please, but I don't want people to get the wrong idea here. We used a lot higher quality equipment than the rest of the stuff you're going to find online.

Kyle Rodgers

This particular cam had quite clean audio. I've done audio work for years, and I can

tell what is clean and what has obvious coloration. I agree many cams are only so-so,

but this one really was clean. It was obvious just listening to it. For a video cam, it was

outstanding for a "big picture" audio recording.. Don't have a clue what brand it was,

but it was good when it came to it's audio.

And like I say, I had no issues with the recordings themselves, just some of the volume

levels between the various wav's were providing a slightly different end result than what

I heard on that recording, and also some others I've heard.

So what I did was really nothing more than a slight EQ change when it comes down to it.

Nothing is ever *totally* perfect when it comes to simulated aircraft sounds in FSX, and

there is room for slight improvements in almost every case. But of course, it depends on the

perception of the listener to which version might be the most accurate. If I hear something

that doesn't quite sound totally right to me, I correct it.  But it's only for my own ears.. I'm not

going to be uploading any new NGX sound packages or anything like that..  :ph34r:

It's just to satisfy me and my particularly picky nature on things such as this.  :lol:

I've diddled with FS sounds for years.. Nothing new to me, and I tweak almost plane I use.

I've also done commercial FS sound packages for aircraft, but it's been a few years since the

last one. Most of my past sound projects were for prop plane packages rather than jets..

So it's not exactly like I just fell off the turnip truck when it comes to sim sounds.

BTW, my audio for my puter is pretty good too. 100w a channel JVC amp, and old Advent

loudspeakers, which are very clean and uncolored. So what I actually listen to is pretty clean

too, as far as distortion, coloration, etc.

Anyway, don't take this as any slam against PMDG.. Overall the sounds are great, and still

better than anything I've seen anyone else upload as far as new NGX sound packs.

I've seen one or two recently, and wasn't overly impressed with them at all.

I think my slightly tweaked PMDG sounds are much better than any of those I've seen. 

But I am biased I suppose, as I'm sure you all are.   :P

I apologize that I may be missing something fundamental here.  I am also attempting to update the service pack for a 737 NGX FSX version which I received in box (DVD form) from FSPilotShop.   When I enter the Service Update page on the website, the 737 Base SP1d asks for a login rather than download.  I click to login and it takes me to my Account Menu - which only seems to allow me to start shopping rather than download the update.  The only thing I can find allows (forces?) me to repurchase the entire plane - rather than looking for my previously purchased product code to validate.   737 NGX is the best aircraft add on I have by a long shot, but I'm not looking to repurchase the entire product for an update.   Apologize again, I'm sure there has to be something I missed.

Dennis Reed

Folks,  Forget my previous post . . . unfortunately you can't fix stupid - or maybe just lazy/incomplete research.  I believe I have my problem solved.   Apologize one more time.

Dennis Reed

For reference - Update is not yet available for CD/DVD customers - developers are working on solution.