Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

Another Great Global Texture Replacement for FS9

I agree on the clouds for sure. I went back to using the clouds from the Active Sky 6.5 package at 256 and DXT3 and they perform marvelously. Flying through a thunderstorm has never been so smooth.....framewise that is!

Yup default clouds are actually quite good.  Your pics look great.  Got some of them to work.  Photobucket is pretty slow right now.
You should give your clouds a try at 128 DXT3.  No joke. 
I have FEX for FSX which allow you to downgrade all the way down to 128, and at 128 the clouds have a super soft appearance very similar to REX soft clouds.  I want to try this in FS9.  I'm going to have my friend downsize some cloud sets.

This works better on clouds that trade off detail for higher contrast.  If the cloud sets are too detailed, you'll see pixelation as you fly through them.  I picked the least "detailed" cloud set and no pixelation at all.

This has been a most informative thread on trying to enhance FS9.  I am somewhat confused on the addons to try and make FS9 that much better.  I presently have UT, GE, and EVO installed and have been pleased with the outcome.  However there is much discussion concerning BEV and AFS World and Mosaic.  I assume these are simialr to EVO?  If I purchased ex BEV or AFS or both would I need to uninstall EVO. or vice versa.  Just curious before I enduge in to BEV or AFS.  Since I belevive these are all texutre files would EVO, BEV, and AFS blend together.?

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I'm using files from Maxime in the thread below. The only thing I'm not using is the water as I have found still the best water out there is a freeware mix that Holger Sandmann put together years ago (look for Holger's water). Right now my FS9 looks about as realistic as FS9 can get. It looks like FSX and Orbx now. Speaking of Orbx, I do own some region packages from them and I'd like to convert them to FS9. Once I get that done  it could be truly amazing.

http://calclassic.proboards.com/thread/6945/fe9g-v1-2-released?page=3

You could blend BEV, EVO, GEPro, AFS, VOZ, Aime Leclercq, FSX and Original textures if you like. :)

Let's just say I've increased my drinking habits after all the CTD's trying to find the wrong textures, BGL/landclass/whatever else clashes.

VOZ though has much scenery BGL files that could conflict so understandable. But, you certainly could blend them.

I can relate increased drinking habits but for me it is more like pulling my hair out, which I have very little left.  I think I will stay away from VOZ in order not to take on anymore streess.  Maybe go ahead and first give AFS a try to see how it will blend into EVO.

Yes I do remember Holger's work.  I need to go find those files since I am still in thre process of reinstalling FS9.

Thanks all for your comments.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Carl,

If you're not doing anything fancy like Jon with the custom textures (lol on the drinking), I think you should be all good.  Because you have UT/FS9 controlling the land class, and the textures are just being sent to their proper designation.

Just think of it like using FEX and REX together.  You can keep writing over the textures to change them.

The only downside to not doing it Jon's way, is that you need to install your "base" textures first (GEP, AFS), then use the feature on BEV to write over certain textures from GEP (for example) like rural areas.  This is because GEP and AFS automatically give you global textures while you can choose what texture sets to install with BEV.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  This is what I understand from reading the previous posts.

Maurice,thanks for that information.  I went ahead and purchased AFS and had no problems with the install. It appears that VEO, GE, UT, FSGen, and now AFS have blended well together (IMO).    It looks great and so far well pleased with the purchase.  FS9 is getting better and better especially when I can lock at 30 with all sliders to the right it is almost a dream compared to fSX at 10 - 20 fps and slidders all over the place. My problem now is trying to get PMGD 737 3rd party airplane textures to show up.  I have no problem with installing  PMDG liveries (using their load manger) from their site but those from AVSIM will not show up after adding textures (United) and edit aircrat config.  Trying to get that resolved soon or may start loosing more hair and will may even have to take a large drink or two.

Regards

Carl

but those from AVSIM will not show up after adding textures (United) and edit aircrat config.

Carl make sure of consecutive numbering in the cfg.

Also repainters have in the past, to ease the download burden, only included their altered textures leaving the user to add the other PMDG textures into the Texture folder.

Carl make sure of consecutive numbering in the cfg.

Also repainters have in the past, to ease the download burden, only included their altered textures leaving the user to add the other PMDG textures into the Texture folder.

I finally figured it out.  I was desparate to get a few of the United 737-700-800-900 but the aircraft config addons had severeal errors associated with the correct models.  I finally got them to work after copying the main pmdg first three setups, renumbered proper sequence  and changed the texture name with a few other minor word changes and all is well. I guess the gentlemen that wrote the configs were in a hurry.  It just takes one item misspelled etc..and the plalne will never show up.  At  least the repaints were well done.

Carl

I'm fully aware this is an old thread, but thought I'd show a comparison of FS9 with v3 of Mosaic with FSX and P3D (both of which are running ORBX global and vector) for anyone looking for more info on this product. I'm approaching Chicago O'Hare in the screens below. My apologies for leaving the gauges on screen in FS9 and FSX.

http://imgur.com/a/cEwX3

Outstanding in my opinion. Although Mosaic does cause a fairly significant frame rate drop, rather than locking my frames at 60fps, I lowered them to 30fps in FS9 which helped with stuttering. Also, I assume if I had Ultimate Terrain USA installed, the roads would match better in FS9 as with FSX and P3D.

As mentioned in previous posts, the night lighting is awful. Luckily I'm going through a low and slow VFR phase at the moment and don't really fly at night. When I do, it's an easy swap out for GE 2006, or even default textures with Ultimate Terrain lighting (I have Canada/Alaska).

Overall, I'm extremely impressed with Mosaic, well worth the money in my opinion for those still using FS9. Pretty amazing, especially when compared to ORBX. I had GE 2006 installed prior to this and was going to upgrade to Pro, but decided to give Mosaic a try. I'm glad I did.

With the UT roads in place that awful diagonal road layout in one of the pics of Manhattan will be transformed.