Sign in to follow this  
sbclark

Where is the file that saves key press assignments?

Hi,

If I have to uninstall and reinstall either my 777 or 737 NGX in P3D to update these aircraft to the latest version, where do the key press assignments via the FMC get saved, and the name of the file where they are saved?

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

If I have to uninstall and reinstall either my 777 or 737 NGX in P3D to update these aircraft to the latest version, where do the key press assignments via the FMC get saved, and the name of the file where they are saved?

[Root Simulator Folder] > PMDG > [Aircraft Folder] > KEY COMMANDS.ini

(or something equally obvious - not at my sim comp at the moment)

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,

I looked and found files that indicated what the configuration was for a variety of aircraft, but found no file that had key press assignments. For example, a CTL+n key press assigned to LNAV in my current install.

It would be nice to have a list of assignments via the CDU, so when I re-install, it simplifies the setup process.

I'm running  P3D v2.5.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

[Root Simulator Folder] > PMDG > PMDG 777X > 777x_Shortcuts.ini

[Root Simulator Folder] > PMDG > PMDG 737 NGX > 737NGX_Shortcuts.ini

Atanas Ayarov

I looked and found files that indicated what the configuration was for a variety of aircraft, but found no file that had key press assignments. For example, a CTL+n key press assigned to LNAV in my current install.

See Atanas' post above this one.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks to both of you for your quick response,

I had looked at this file before and didn't see anything I was expecting. However, after a 2nd look, as per you suggestion, it appears like the PMDG developer found a cryptic way of coding the key press I assigned to LNAV, which is:

CTL+n = LNAV

Apparently, the cryptic way of representing this entry on my system is:

LNAV SWITCH=78, 0, 1, 0

So I have two choices, I can manually record previously entered key presses on paper by going thru the CDU as to what I assigned, or after reinstalling the A/C, go into this .ini file and modifying it using the former .ini file as a guide. I believe the safer way to do this is to manually record my previous entries by looking at CDU entries as I run a higher risk of making a mistake modifying the .ini file.

Oh well, I was hoping for an easier way of doing this!

Thanks again,

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

Apparently, the cryptic way of representing this entry on my system is:

Those are keyboard scan codes, which have been uniform for decades.  Check google for keyboard scan codes and you should be good to go.  For the programmer, kudos for picking a method that requires the least software 'overhead.'

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks, I'm not surprised this is the method used.............but as my personal preference, I'll just write them down manually as the easiest and safest for me. I looked them up on Goggle, and it would take much longer to decipher than good ol' handwriting!

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

Can't you just copy the .ini key map files out to your desktop, run the uninstall/reinstall process, and then overwrite the newly created .ini with your version from your desktop?

Can't you just copy the .ini key map files out to your desktop, run the uninstall/reinstall process, and then overwrite the newly created .ini with your version from your desktop?

That you can.

Kyle Rodgers

Adam and Kyle,

If I chose that route, which I did consider, I would have to assume that PMDG developers did not modify those particular files?

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

If I chose that route, which I did consider, I would have to assume that PMDG developers did not modify those particular files?

That's what I had initially thought, but I was talking to RSR last night and he said steps were taken behind the scenes to ensure that it wouldn't cause a problem.

Kyle Rodgers

OK, you have assured me..............I'll copy the existing files and replace the new ones with the old ones after the re-install.

It is pretty tedious to have to go thru and setup all this stuff.

By the way, I'm using a standalone touchscreen on my network PC that uses a freeware software tool. I can basically setup an almost unlimited set of icons to replicate the LNAV, VNAV, TOGA, and many other functions. When I press the icon, the key press is sent over the network to the window that is open, be it FSX, P3D, DCS, Microsoft Word, or any application...........pretty cool.

Here is a set of example of a touchscreens that were created with a graphics package and inserted into the TouchBuddy software:

http://touch-buddy.com/forums/local_links.php?s=f23ae030885c57b393a213270e282d04&catid=4

Note - Click on the images to expand them......examples are primarily combat related, but you could do any game or simulation you wanted.

My creations are very simple, but if you have artistic talent, and I don't, you can create some pretty nice screens.......there is a tab feature so you can call up multiple pages to perform different functions........been using this software for years...........set up separate profiles for each aircraft, one for PMDG 777 and PMDG 737 NGX, DCS F-86, Falcon 4.0, Flight1's Cessna Citation Mustang, etc.

Thanks for your suggestion Kyle, saves me a lot of time.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

If I had followed my own suggestion I would have saved myself some time during the reinstall a few weeks back. It was kind of a derp moment on my part and I deleted the PMDG folder before considering the key command .ini. Luckily, I only have TOGA, flaps, A/P discon, and A/T discon mapped.

Kyle,

I also saved another file called 777x_Options.ini and 737x_Options.ini which I believe stores the basic initial custom panel configuration a user makes.

Is OK to replace the unmodified "Option" files after the 737 and 777 update with the previous modified "Options" files.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2