Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

319 kts below 100

I observed this and seen both pilots select command speed on the MCP to 319 kts just prior to 100

What will this reason be? 

Photo%2006-04-2015%2012%2018%2018.png

Photo%2006-04-2015%2012%2018%2010.png

Vernon Howells

The QNH back set on the altimeter is 1013 suggesting it's not in the States so the 250 below 10 is less strictly enforced.

The reasons I can think of are:

-They're late and want to try and make up some time (although by this stage there's not much time to be saved)

-They're high on the approach/altitude restriction and need to lose energy so they're diving it off

-ATC may have asked them to (for spacing, sequencing, whatever)

Hope this helps,

Ian

To further reinforce the point to simmers that the 250/10 thing is a vast misconception.

...but really, what Ian said is more likely.

Kyle Rodgers

Perhaps the altitude is in meters?  That would be consistent with the 1013 QNH. 

Dave Wadsworth
i9 13900K 5.5Ghz 64G DDR6000 nVidia 4090 
Win 11 22H2 Pro P3DV5.4 ASP/ASCA Pilot2ATC FS2Crew/TIR5/CP

Perhaps the altitude is in meters?  That would be consistent with the 1013 QNH. 

Nope. Boeing aircraft list meters above the altitude setting (in feet) on the PFD and include 'M' to emphasize it.

Also, full names in the forum, please.

Kyle Rodgers

As far as I am aware all real-world UK  SIDs have a note:

Maximum 250KIAS below FL100 unless otherwise authorised

Maximum 250KIAS below FL100 unless otherwise authorised

Exactly... :)

If you're a heavy on takeoff and climb you are already authorized  because it is written into Section D of the regulation.  

Sec. 91.117 — Aircraft speed.

a] Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.).

b] Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft at or below 2,500 feet above the surface within 4 nautical miles of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph.). This paragraph "b" does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace area. Such operations shall comply with paragraph (a) of this section.

c] No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph).

d] If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed.

well they had no TW but that shouldn't matter because it would been delt with higher up! That range selector on the ND was set at 20 i'm sure off but i'll double check.

They did have the FLT spoilers out

They did select gear down at localizer capture before F1.

They were on G/S with Flaps up speed.

But like ian said, this could be a high TMA and ATC would like to keep everyone at the same speed and sequence?

Vernon Howells

If you're a heavy on takeoff and climb you are already authorized...

Where is  the "minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation" defined - i've been unable to find it?

Guys,

Let's not start the 91.117d discussion again. Please. It's not relevant because the aircraft is being flown in Bulgaria. Look at the chart.

Kyle Rodgers

It's not relevant because the aircraft is being flown in Bulgaria.

I doubt the intent was to limit the question to Bulgarian ops. 

I doubt the intent was to limit the question to Bulgarian ops. 

Full names in the forum, please.

Actually, the question was regarding why the specific image had a specific condition (319 under 10). If people would like to get into a discussion of the intricacies of 91.117d, then it can go into a separate thread. It's been beaten to death, and most people don't have a clue in the slightest how to interpret it, or understand it.

Now that I've said that, enter the group who will ignore that and still debate the same old and tired "but ATC can approve" (no, they cannot), "the pilot must request" (no, they do not and should not), and "well the definition of what configuration must the plane be in for 'min safe' to apply isn't defined" (no, it's not - at least in the regs - it's defined in the OPSpecs, as would the 91.117a exemption). So, if this needs to be discussed further, it can go into another thread.

Kyle Rodgers

When I flew through Middle East In DC10s, controllers would routinely state "no speed restriction below 10,000ft" when I was descending. That's the only place I have ever had this request on descent. I routinely flew above 250 below 10,000ft anywhere depending on my takeoff weight. I think the Mid East controllers knew that Western jets would slow, so they would routinely state no restriction when clearing you below 10,000. Just as Kyle said, it's been beat to death. Through certification, heavy jets will go above 250 when following AFM procedures.