Sign in to follow this  
Guest jdu

Should we allow the use of AVATARS in the forum?

Should we allow the use of AVATARS in the forum?  

84 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

What are AVATARS? They are small images that appear next to your message, typically showing a photo of you. Were we to allow AVATARS, we would have some pretty strict rules on their use. These would include:1.) Images of the poster only2.) No images that could be construed as advertising3.) Images would only be hosted on YOUR website, not AVSIM's4.) Images would be no larger than 125 x 125 pixels in width5.) Images would be no larger than 5 kbytes in sizeWith those constraints, would you want us to allow AVATARS?

Guest ba747heavy

Nononononono! They would really take away from viewing realestate on my 1024x768 monitor even if they are so small.Just as a clarification, what is rule #1 referring to?

No,I don't really care what other people look like.

Guest Milton

Personally, I prefer NOT. It seems a waste of bandwidth and peoples time. I would also vote to eliminate signatures. :-)

Tom,To be honest, I see avatars at other forums that I visit, and I personally think that they are a waste of space.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris, that's my opinion too, in addition to them being somewhat childish and smacking of self-ego stroking, but we wanted to give the community an opportunity to vote on the subject.

Guest Erick_Cantu

They're fun to mess around with, and rarely do people use photos of themselves (I usually use a small 737 shot like this -> http://sgair.net/erick/SIGS/b733_avatar.gif). Limit them to 48x48 pixels or so and there's really no issue.

> typically showing a photo of you.We can get that done and out of the way this Monday :+ (See Signature)

Guest Tim13

"...in addition to them being somewhat childish and smacking of self-ego stroking..."You've also just described signatures. Personally, it wouldn't break my heart to see the sigs dropped, as well as not implementing avatars.Tim13

Guest ba747heavy

I actually wouldn't mind seeing signatures severely limited, meaning no images, and say only a certain number of characters/lines. Sigs are nice because they autopost my name (PMDG forum), but I really don't need this nice image in my sig :)

Guest Robert J

Also agree, NO signatures.Robert J

Guest jdu

I don't see see whats so bad about signatures. As long as they are used properly. They don't do any harm, do they?

Guest Ken_Salter

"stay on topic .... Stay on Topic!"- subtle Star Wars reference