Sign in to follow this  
hornet65

CTD PMDG747 on Long Flights

Hi,

I've been experiencing crashes with a similar error report as noted at the begining of this thread.  I've been experiencing this with the PMDG 747-400, on long haul flights over ocean, and particularly during the transition from day to night.  First a particular view will disappear...then most recently,  the 3D flightdeck went transparent except for the insturments themselves.  Will this FSUIPC program work for PMDG as well.  Below is the most recent error event. But it doesn't mention the g3d.dll file/module. In fact, it says module is unknown.  Any helpful comment would ber appreciated.   See below

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          4/5/2015 7:18:35 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      SCHNEIDER-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000
Faulting process id: 0x1aec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d06fac8903448c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 149b4873-dbea-11e4-9b66-74d4350b5d25
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-04-05T23:18:35.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>39459</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>SCHNEIDER-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.61472.0</Data>
    <Data>475e17d3</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>00000000</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>00000000</Data>
    <Data>1aec</Data>
    <Data>01d06fac8903448c</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>149b4873-dbea-11e4-9b66-74d4350b5d25</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Regards,

Tom S.

I split your post from the other CTD topic as all crashes are different and it only confuses me and others if you post another crash in someone else's crash topic.  All crash reports are about the same, just different faulting modules.  In your case I suspect a StackHash CTD and/or you ran out of memory (virtual address space - VAS).  This happens on all long haul flights in resource intensive aircraft like the PMDG 747.  It is caused by high settings.  Sometimes a tweak in your fsx.cfg, like the infamous BufferPool tweak causes instabilities because you have the wrong settings or you used settings used by others.

You should set up your FSX by following the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.  Those settings are conservative and work for many.  In the AVSIM CTD Guide, near the end of the document, you will see a discussion about a StackHash and Out of Memory and VAS.  Only solution is to lower your fsx.cfg settings, your display driver settings, and get rid of tweaks in your fsx.cfg.  If you have the uiautomationcore.dll in your main fsx directory, move it to a temporary folder.  You probably have a wrong version and it is conflicting with your computer systems operation.  Some recommend it be placed in the main fsx folder as they know it is the "holy grail" of fixing all crashes associated with FSX.  It is not the holy grail of all fixes for crashes.

On page one of the AVSIM CTD Guide there is a guide to the AppCrashView program.  That program gives me more detailed information about your crash.  It will also show you all of your crashes on your computer and one of those crashes may be a symptom of what is causing your latest crash.  Right now, the Event Viewer program report you provided provides no useful information other than you have FSX w/SP2 installed and you had an Application Error (Event 1000) crash which is very common.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your comments. My appologies for posting in another's topic.  I'll be sure to initiate topics on my own from here on.  I've been reading quite a bit about these crashes.  Most recently with a Captian Sim 767, FSX didn't crash; however the 3D flight deck graphics dissappeared. I was flying and invisisble plane.  Only the 2D instrument panel worked.  I have lowered my settings from the prvious higher settings. Perhaps I need to lower them further. Where exactly is the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide?  I did download the CTD guide.  It's a lot to comprehend. 

StackHash errors seem unfixible other than to uninstall windows and FSX and reinstalling. This isn't an option ( uninstalling windows that is. I've already uninstalled and reinstalled FSX and the addons).  The CTD Guide mentions the FSUIPC utility. However when you go to download the utility the provider mentions all sorts of potential pitfalls with the progam.  I'm fairly computer literate; but not a programmer.  This is where I get a bit turned around...

I'm guessing you looked at my system configuration; and have noted that my machine is relatively new with a better than decent video card.  I'm surprised that a 2006 program (and add-ons for that matter) can't be handled by a 2014 video card with 2 gig memory.

Also, I haven't made any tweeks to my fsx.cfg.  So, I don't think this is the issue.  Nor do I have any add-on scenery. It's all default FSX scenery.

Any further assistance is appreciated. I'm prpbably going to do a complete uninstall again; this time with IObit Uinstaller utility. This utililty supposedly removes files the windows uninstaller utility leaves behind in the config. and system regestry. 

Thanks,

Tom S.

Found the FSX Configuration Guide. Thanks.  I'll try the recommended settings...but I'm thinking there's more to my issues then this. 

Tom S.

I'm surprised that a 2006 program (and add-ons for that matter) can't be handled by a 2014 video card with 2 gig memory.

Dovetail fixed many problems with FSX by updating the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 w/SP1 used for installing FSX to MSV 2010 or 2013.  This is the only thing they can do to upgrade FSX and so far they have fixed quite a few things.  You cannot do this with FSX.  It still need MSV 2005 w/SP1 and it will be like that forever.  The code to FSX has never been changed and Microsoft will never allow it to be changed.  I thought the same as you did once but now understand that powerful systems, like yours and mine, render a lot faster so, when you crank up the sliders, it uses resources much more faster.  The settings in the FSX configuration guide work very well for most but I still don't like the high sliders in the scenery.  Yet our systems can still handle that.  The biggest killer is autogen.  If you are still using the default scenery, then you might try upgrading all of your fsx textures to GEX as those textures have been fully optimized.  It's an fsx upgrade that many don't use as they upgrade to photoscenery or Orbx/FTX stuff.

I have nothing more to add.  I wrote the AVSIM CTD Guide and FSX Configuration Guide so all my comments are recommendations are in those two products.  The CTD Guide, pages, 1 and 2 show how you can move files to temporary folders just to see what is causing your crashes because moving those files to a temporary folder will bring fsx back to the default.  You start moving the files back one by one until you find where the problem is in your configuration.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your feedback.  It's been quite helpful.  Ultimately, I decided to uninstall all FSX related programs, then run a 3rd party utility to clean out the registry and any leftover files.  I've re-installed everything and made my settings according to our basic guide.  The only add-on giving me issues is with installing PMDG 747-400.  It is failing to validate after I enter my details, and then terminates the set up.  Any suggestions (PS....not sure if  I should put this last question in a new topic thread)

Regards,

Tom S.

It is failing to validate after I enter my details, and then terminates the set up. Any suggestions (PS....not sure if I should put this last question in a new topic thread)

I have no solutions for this. The PMDG747 is a pretty old product and they are in the process of updating it completely. You should go to the PMDG website - http://www.precisionmanuals.com/ and submit a trouble ticket. Hopefully someone will find a solution for you.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim,

Thank you.  I have submitted a ticket.  Hopefully I'll get a repsonse from the PMDG help desk.  Frustrating needless to say.  Other than the PMDG product, everything else has re-installed nicely.  As for my original issues, I believe some files may have become corrupted when I un-installed accelerator and installed SP2 in its place....thinking this was the better product to use with PMDG products. I have a clean install now.  All I need is my PMDG747-400.  

I've read that PMDG is working on an overhaul for the 747-400. Will this be an update to the existing product or an entirely new purchase. Just curious.

Tom S.

I believe some files may have become corrupted when I un-installed accelerator and installed SP2 in its place....thinking this was the better product to use with PMDG products.

That is highly likely. Acceleration was released first and the payware version of SP2. Microsoft figured they'd wait a while before releasing the freeware version of Acceleration (which is SP2). SP2 is coded differently than Acceleration so freeware upgraders could not use the products that were included in Acceleration. So a corruption was likely.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM