Sign in to follow this  
Iceman2

P3D V2.5 Performance for Rob

Hi All, This is a question for Rob Ainscough or anyone who is finding reduced performance in 2.5. Rob I have installed P3D 2.5 on a fresh install of W8.1 on an ageing computer. (2700K OC 4.8 & Titan Black) I had 2.4 running at unlocked frame rates with only a few stutters and long distant blurries but tolerable.

After reading some of your experiences with a 4K HDTV I launched out and replaced my three 30in screens with a 4K 55in. To my surprise I was delighted to see the blurries gone and only a slight stutter with higher frame rates but the experience was wonderful.

I assumed 2.5 would be an even better improvement? Now if I run P3D with a stock aircraft the sim runs not too bad but burdens down with the likes of an NGX the stutters are terrible. My real questions is what have I bottle neck in 2.5? If I lock my frames the burries are all gone but lots of stutters, if run unlimited the stutters are gone but the blurries are bad even close to the aircraft not just in the distance.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought a FFTF tweak only worked when frames are locked. However I need to run the sim at unlimited to rid the stutters and technically need a FFTF tweak to reduce the blurs which unfortunately seems not to work because of the above reason I guess.

My CPU appears not to be overloaded although core 0 is working the hardest of course close to 100%. The GPU is not showing maxed out but not really sure when flying in "Full Screen." (fake full screen I know) Has 2.5 changed that much that I need to buy a Titan Z or X.

I know all hardware differs but I'm hoping you maybe able to explain something about my issues.

Thanks.

iceman

Your CPU is the same as mine.  I replaced the GTX680 recently with a GTX980 because I found the GPU to be the bottleneck.  I don't run 4k, but 2560x1600 as I have a 30 inch monitor.  I use the FFTF=0.01 tweak, medium graphics setting and I have zero stutters, but I also ran unlimitted.  Close to the aircraft everything is sharp for me, further away I see some shimmering on some airport but never when flying.  Did you also set AffinityMask=14 or 13?  AffinityMask and FFTF are the only two tweaks that I used.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Has 2.5 changed that much that I need to buy a Titan Z or X.

Obviously something has gone astray in 2.5 you dont have to buy a Titan X - your not the only one seeing this - lets hope LM can address this

Rich Sennett

Thanx,

I find P3d runs better on my machine with all cores running, I've tried setting the AM to 14 then selecting core 0 after the sim has started via the task manager but noticed no performance gain. Currently I have no AM tweak.

I'm still unsure if the FFTF works in unlimited (unlocked frames) as I read here somewhere that it doesn't.

Richard:

I was not aware the general consensus was that 2.5 took a performance hit over 2.4 as some ironically have reported good results. (I thought) Interesting if that is true. Means I'm not alone.

I'm fearing 2.5 is the "perfect" SIM just like FSX was when it arrived on the market many years ago, only problem was there was no hardware at the time that could run it. 

thanks for your responses

iceman

2700k @ 4.8 ghz and Titan Black equals ageing system?
What is this still april 1st?

That system would run AA games at 1440p for a very long time.

And they say P3D improves is more suited to new hardware :').

Given the graphics it displays you should get 200fps.

Obviously something has gone astray in 2.5 you dont have to buy a Titan X - your not the only one seeing this - lets hope LM can address this

Whew, I thought it was just me. I had 2.4 running beautifully smooth and have never been able to get 2.5 to run anywhere near as smooth, Really considering re-installing 2.4

Richard:

I was not aware the general consensus was that 2.5 took a performance hit over 2.4 as some ironically have reported good results. (I thought) Interesting if that is true. Means I'm not alone.

Ice no not a performance hit with 2.5 just terrible Anti-aliasing and no matter what you throw at it nothing will make it perfect yet earlier versions AA just worked with out of the box nvidia control panel settings - back to fsx tweaking days - the only thing that comes close to perfect is DSR but i should not have to do that - guess I was spoiled with earlier P3D versions

Whew, I thought it was just me. I had 2.4 running beautifully smooth and have never been able to get 2.5 to run anywhere near as smooth, Really considering re-installing 2.4

I did that ended up going back to 2.5 and deal with it until they come out with another patch as UTX V2 and preciptfx and 777 immersion does not work in 2.4 - if i were you I would just leave it and hang tight

Rich Sennett

Ice no not a performance hit with 2.5 just terrible Anti-aliasing and no matter what you throw at it nothing will make it perfect yet earlier versions AA just worked with out of the box nvidia control panel settings - back to fsx tweaking days - the only thing that comes close to perfect is DSR but i should not have to do that - guess I was spoiled with earlier P3D versions

hmm...I didn't notice any real difference in my AA settings between 2.4 and 2.5...though I did ditch NvidiaCP a while back as DSR has less of a hit than SGSS, with comparable visuals.  

Same here Dylan. I see nothing different between 2.4 and 2.5.

hmm...I didn't notice any real difference in my AA settings between 2.4 and 2.5...though I did ditch NvidiaCP a while back as DSR has less of a hit than SGSS, with comparable visuals.  

I agree DSR does help quite a bit with AA - but never had to use it up till 2.5 - I hate band aids and to me that is what DSR is - dont want to use it never had to before but now I have to - this is why I have a very basic install and addons as have faith LM will fix it - as nvidia drivers didnt change but P3D did - still think something is up with this new folder structure in 2.5 

Rich Sennett

Take a look here:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/z-fighting-on-textures-shimmering-p3dv-2-5/

I did this awhile back for a different reason, but maybe changing clipmode=normal for the VC view will help out.

Hi Jay - tried that last night made no difference - thought it would sounded good but no luck - thank you for the help 

Rich Sennett

I'm still unsure if the FFTF works in unlimited (unlocked frames) as I read here somewhere that it doesn't.

Correct, FFTF will not be used if set to Unlimited frames.

I've done some extensive comparisons with a default v2.4 and a default v2.5 using my other test PC (3960X with 970GTX 4GB) and I did find a difference, but it's was NOT a performance or AA difference (pretty close to identical in both versions within a margin of testing error).

I know Rich keeps repeating (in almost every thread) the same issue in v2.4 vs v2.5 so obviously he's pretty frustrated with it, but I wasn't able to confirm any difference at all and even offered to show video between the two. 

In v2.5 the Autogen radius will actually be a little smaller than in v2.4.  See video:

Why Rich is seeing an AA difference I have no idea ... needle in hay stack of possibilities.

Cheers, Rob.

Correct, FFTF will not be used if set to Unlimited frames.

Are you sure about that? I thought it was:

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=nn

that is disabled when running unlimited frame rates.

Are you sure about that?

Yes, 100% sure and have tested the settings myself to confirm what I was told by LM.

Cheers, Rob.