Hi all,

Can't seem to get anti-aliasing to work on my VC displays in all my aircraft (PMDG 777, 737, Aerosoft A32x) in FSX. I have it set at 4x and Override in nVidia Inspector. Unchecked in FSX settings. Running FSX in DX9 mode. Everything else is anti-aliased perfectly, only the VC displays which are unreadable at a distance because of the jaggies. Is there a setting I am missing?

I've tried higher levels of AA and higher levels of Anisotropic filtering (set at 4x in inspector) to no avail. All the textures, knobs, switches etc are all perfect, only the text on the displays is jagged (PFD, ECAM, FMC etc).

Edit: Tried Transparent AA to Supersampling but I see no difference, just a plummet in performance (I have a fairly low spec system, so I need every frame I can get!).

Thanks in advance.

I set AA within FSX to "anisotropic"

In the Nvidia control panel I use the following.

Anisotropic filtering = application controlled

Antialiasing gamma correction = on

Antialiasing mode = enhance the application setting

Antialiasing setting = 4x

Antialiasing transparency = off

CUDA GPU's = All

Extension limit = off

Maximum pre-rendered frames = 3

Multi-display/mixed GPU acceleration = Single display performance mode

Texture filtering Anisotropic sample optimization = off

Texture filtering Negative LOD bias = Clamp

Texture filtering quality = Quality

Texture filtering Trilinear optimization = on

Threaded optimization = off

Triple buffering = on

Vertical sync = force on

I'm not going to say that these are optimum settings, but they seem to work well for my old computer.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

This might sound silly but have you ticked the "midmapping" box in your PD3 menu

Makes a big difference for me anyway

I set AA within FSX to "anisotropic"

In the Nvidia control panel I use the following.

Anisotropic filtering = application controlled

Antialiasing gamma correction = on

Antialiasing mode = enhance the application setting

Antialiasing setting = 4x

Antialiasing transparency = off

CUDA GPU's = All

Extension limit = off

Maximum pre-rendered frames = 3

Multi-display/mixed GPU acceleration = Single display performance mode

Texture filtering Anisotropic sample optimization = off

Texture filtering Negative LOD bias = Clamp

Texture filtering quality = Quality

Texture filtering Trilinear optimization = on

Threaded optimization = off

Triple buffering = on

Vertical sync = force on

I'm not going to say that these are optimum settings, but they seem to work well for my old computer.

I'll give these a go. I've got a pretty old, low-mid spec computer so not expecting miracles from FSX. I just don't get why only the VC displays are unreadable yet everything else has no jagged edges at all.

This might sound silly but have you ticked the "midmapping" box in your PD3 menu

Makes a big difference for me anyway

I'm running FSX

In my experience, 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling takes away the jaggies on the cockpit displays and any other places where the primary AA doesn't get. Try it out in the "Antialiasing Transparency" category. It may reduce your performance slightly though, and I'm not sure how your "low-mid" spec computer will handle it. Give it a try

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

Tried Transparent AA to Supersampling but I see no difference

That's correct, DX9 does not use those Transparent settings so you see no effect.

First make a new NI profile - instructions in the link.

With DX9: In NI set "Antialiasing - Behaviour" to None, "Antialiasing - Mode" to Override any application setting, and set "Antialiasing - Setting" to 4x4.

In the sim set Filtering to Anisotropic, and check Anti-aliasing.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...that's how I would set the AA, but not so sure it will fix your problem, seems strange, but a new NI profile may fix it.

"Antialiasing - Setting" to 4x4.

Have yet to try this but I have a feeling it's going to kill my performance.

With DX9: In NI set "Antialiasing - Behaviour" to None, "Antialiasing - Mode" to Override any application setting, and set "Antialiasing - Setting" to 4x4.

I've got AA for everything else, it's literally just the VC displays in the 737/777/A32x which are so jagged you can't read them from a distance, have to zoom in real close or be looking at them directly.

Yes, 4x4 is the strongest AA there, may want to use something less, but I wanted to know if that helped in any way, otherwise there is obviously some other problem affecting your VC view. Did you try recreating the NVidia profile?

...How does a stock aircraft VC look?

Okay I recreated the nvidia profile and set AA to 4x4. Fixed the jaggies (and 777 VC looks pretty amazing now) but displays look a tad blurred. I can live with that because it's still readable unlike before.

Performance wise I've actually seen a 1-2FPS increase at AS EGLL X than running just 4x?! Can't complain!

I'll keep playing with settings to see if I can improve any further.

Next fix is the blurry ground textures! I think that's more down to my CPU more than settings.

Okay I recreated the nvidia profile and set AA to 4x4. Fixed the jaggies (and 777 VC looks pretty amazing now) but displays look a tad blurred. I can live with that because it's still readable unlike before.

Performance wise I've actually seen a 1-2FPS increase at AS EGLL X than running just 4x?! Can't complain!

I'll keep playing with settings to see if I can improve any further.

Next fix is the blurry ground textures! I think that's more down to my CPU more than settings.

Jolly good. I always make a new profile after updating drivers, seen errors plenty of times from not doing it. 4x4 is more or less the top AA setting, you should be able to use a lower setting.

"down to my CPU" - What are you running?

Jolly good. I always make a new profile after updating drivers, seen errors plenty of times from not doing it. 4x4 is more or less the top AA setting, you should be able to use a lower setting.

"down to my CPU" - What are you running?

I've been really short of time recently but I will get round to playing with that more. I guess I was too fearful of going to 4x4 without ever actually trying it.

i5-650 dual core @ 3.2GHz. Don't have the spare money to build a new system right now, as much as I want to.

One more thing, I presume that under FSX Settings, Display tab, that you have checked the box for "High resolution 3-D virtual cockpit".

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

For the record, Poppet.......it's P3D, not PD3 :wink:

Thank you Mr Helpy Helperton :) :)

Regarding the Anti aliasing in the VC, It is slightly annoying alright. There was a time were I was spending more time tweaking then flying. I have given up on it. Doesn't bother me as much as it did. Hopefully a better profile in the future will sort it. It can't be perfect all the time I suppose.