Sign in to follow this  
jcboliveira

European Flight Levels

Guest ssurjap

Is it true that in Europe and Asia that the flight levels differ than in the States?The reason why I'm asking is I have Traffic 2004 for FS9 and I see that some of the European airlines flying in Europe fly at FL340. I know in the States that it's not allowed (unless requested by ATC), but is it allowed in real life in Europe and Asia.Thanks.

In Europe separation is now 1000ft, in the US it's 2000ft.I think Asia also uses 1000ft now, and the US is going to implement it soon as well.

Guest Stephan

Which are?Stephan

Guest ssurjap

Thanks guys.Stephan, what Jos

No, not that. I believe you are talking about RVSM I was talking about the odd even flight levels rule. Usually the rule is the called NEODD/SWEVEN however in some European countries most of the airways are N/S and the rule doesn't apply. At least that I know of: France, Spain and Portugal use the rule:NORTHBound routes (270

Guest Stephan

Thanks. I also thought you referred to RVSM in general. However, to separate the traffic on the north-south axis instead of east-west might make sense, where the main traffic flows north-south?I don't think RVSM or NEODD/SWEVEN is active in Russia. Hope not, as long as TCAS is not mandatory there.Stephan

I think it makes sense. Let's see if I can explain with an example my idea. In Portugal the biggest traffic percentage is from/to Lisbon-Europe. The European destinations are North of Lisbon so using these rules almost all the traffic departing from Lisbon is even and arriving to Lisbon is odd. This is linked to the way the airways are in the country.In Russia the separation is 300m, 500m, 1000m. In all my VATSIM flights in Russia usually the controller gives everything as it should be but in private it sends the values in feet.So if you cross Europe from Lisbon to Moscow you can get a nice Flight plan.LPPT UUWW. Initial Flight Level 360NSA DCT MONIV UN745 BARDI UN873 ZMR UN976 LATEK UN871 KUDES/N0450F370 UN871 DOTAK UN869 LAGAR UN869 RUDKA/K0850S1110 UN869 VTB UN858 RATIN R11B FK DCT UM DCT Notice that the flight leaves with even Flight level then changes to odd at kudes (I believe it's the France/Switzerland border) then in Russia it changes to metric system.Jos