Sign in to follow this  
Fi5kuS

Clouds kill FPS in 2.5

Yes, the title is dangerously close to the well known "Clouds kill FPS in 2.3", but I've noticed this in 2.5 as well. Even with unticked "enhance overcast conditions" in ASN and medium cloud coverage density set within P3D, my FPS is cut in half when flying through clouds. Noticed it yesterday when flying out of Stockholm Arlanda in the NGX at dusk. Fair weather with only some clouds in the air. However, when breaking into the first cloud FPS dropped from 35-40 to 13-15. 

If ASN simulates overcast and rain/snow, then I can forget about flying - even in a default GA. However, if I run one of the weather themes such as "major thunderstorm" or "heavy snow" with a lot of clouds, FPS is stable and only drops a few digits. Why is it that the equal weather simulated by ASN eats up FPS then? 

Does this sounds familiar to anyone else, or is it mainly connected to my medium 760 GTX? +i7 4770K 4,4 ghz

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I'm running a 4770K at 4.6 GHz and a GTX 780. I also see decreasing fps in clouds but not as bad as you. A rough guess would be a 30% decrease in performance. For me it's not a big issue because when I fly through the clouds I'm mostly on autopilot so that the decreasing performance is not an issue.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I can't fly with clouds either. Whether it's ASN or Opus, it doesn't matter. Opus is a bit better but it becomes slideshow anyway. Say I am flying above vast wilderness of Alaska, when I activate weather engine and if it's a bad weather, my fps dips to 8-9 fps from 60 fps. I can't even fly on Alaska, can't imagine how I can fly through cities. I have gtx680 and I know it's a mediocre card, but it shouldn't be that bad even with this card. I am not using NI, so it's not heavy SGSS settings causing this. I have only one monitor (32 inch TV with a 1080p resolution) and I am using lowest possible resolution of clouds from Rex. Big mystery.

I started to see this and it got bad.

I set NI back to default and use in Sim 4xSGSS. All is fine again and I see no hit.

When I say default, I have global to power= max performance, texture's the best setting. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I started to see this and it got bad.

I set NI back to default and use in Sim 4xSGSS. All is fine again and I see no hit.

When I say default, I have global to power= max performance, texture's the best setting. 

Hm, thing is II don't use SGSS at all. Only 2x MSAA within P3D. Surprisingly, I can read all gauges crystal clear, not in all GA aircraft but in tubeliners like PMDG and Aerosoft.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I have a 3.6GHz 3770K with a 3GB GTX780, so a modest system these days. I pretty much exclusively fly the Aerosoft Airbus and use REX Essential Plus to inject weather. I get a frame drop when going through heavy cloud but nothing that makes it unplayable. I would respectfully suggest that ASN may be the problem...

• Upvote 1

I have a simular setup and dont see that kind of performance issue. Maybe 1-5 fps drop tops.

I have a saved NGX setup in descend through lots of clouds. Will record a video later.

Maybe AA ?

Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I don't fly with any SGSS on and have no cloud issues.  It's all having to do with the way clouds render their AA through SGSS.    SGSS has been a known destroyer of frame rates with heavy cloud coverage.    I notice very little difference with SGSS on or off, other than frame rate so I just run with it off.    I have big fluffy REX 4 Soft Clouds and I don't really need their edges AA'd as they are already big and fluffy without much jaggies anyway.

The sweetFX/ReShade guide recommends SGSS OFF when using P3D.   It's up to LM to fix, not Nvidia according to them and since they are programmers I'll take their word for it.

Bring on the thunderstorms with 8 layers of clouds set at MAX density!  I can take it!  RAR!  *plane crashes*

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Sorry I gave wrong info

i only use 4x MSAA in the sim not 4xSGSS me bad, its my age  :rolleyes: 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I stopped using SGSS, and use DSR instead as it has much less of a hit  (I use OPUS and REX soft clouds, so this may be an ASN issue...).

Sorry I gave wrong info

i only use 4x MSAA in the sim not 4xSGSS me bad, its my age  :rolleyes: 

Same here.      FXAA off for me.  4x MSAA.  No SgSS.   ReShade and SweetFX handle my AA problems for the most part without the mangling of the FPS.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I also used to set my AA on 8xSGSS. Have very good framerates but when clouds appeared, frames dropped dramaticaly (from 45 fps avg on PMDG 777 LAX. to 10-15). When flying into the clouds I got as low as 3 fps!

Nicolas Matus Sepulveda

My Specs: Windows 10 Pro 64x // Intel Core i7 4770K // 32GB @ 2400 Mhz Corsair Vengeance // Asus Maximus VI Extreme // NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080TI // 500GB SSD and 2 TB HDD // Prepar3D v5 // FlightSimLabs A320-X, CaptainSim 767 and PMDG 737NGX - 747 QOTSII  // My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/vader7472 - My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/vader7472

I also used to set my AA on 8xSGSS. Have very good framerates but when clouds appeared, frames dropped dramaticaly (from 45 fps avg on PMDG 777 LAX. to 10-15). When flying into the clouds I got as low as 3 fps!

Yep.  SGSS is a killer when combined with clouds.   If only SGSS would effect everything BUT clouds it would be a good thing.    So.. I'd rather of 8 layers of max cloud coverage out to 90 miles then a little bit of anti-shimmer and softer edges.

100454.png

Brian Navy

I have a simular setup and dont see that kind of performance issue. Maybe 1-5 fps drop tops.

I have a saved NGX setup in descend through lots of clouds. Will record a video later.

Maybe AA ?

Michael Moe 

Hi Michael.

Would you mind sharing your P3D & ASN settings. I have a similar system and I cannot get a smooth result. I have given up pretty much on 2.5 right now and have been enjoying flying in dare I say it "X-Plane" !

Richard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png