Sign in to follow this  

I am currently flying FS9 on an Acer 20" LCD monitor and I was thinking about upsizing to a 27" monitor.

Is there anything I should be aware of before spending my cash?  If any of you have any personal recommendations on make and model that would be great too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You need to bare in mind that a larger screen will need more resources from your graphics card, the higher the screen resolution the more graphics memory and processing power is required so if you have a low end card you *may* experience a lower frame rate in FS9. 27" screens come in 2 main screen resolutions 1920x1080 and 2560x1440 there are also the 3840x2160 4K panels, the higher the resolution the more demands will be put on your graphics card. If you don't use your PC for much other than gaming and web browsing then a 1920x1080 panel should be fine, I use a higher resolution because I also us my PC for photo editing. Most manufacturers use the same selection of panels from one or two companies so once you have decided on your price point and resolution it is generally down to aesthetics, warranty, supplier, best deal available.........

Specs are:

AMD FX-6 @ 4.1GHz

GTX960 2048MB GDDR5

16GBB DDR3 1600 MHz Memory

The one I am looking at is a backlit 1920 x 1080.  

Thanks for the advice, most helpful.

I have just sprung for a Korean Qnix 2710, they use "QC rejected" Samsung pls (IPS) panels and are overclockable to a stable 96hz. Rez is 2560x1440, so your fps will take a hit, but they are absolutely beautiful displays, but in a crappy bezel and stand. Best of all they are cheap and any backlight bleed can be easily fixed. There are sites dedicated to these monitors and will give you guidance as to where you can grab one.

Specs are:

AMD FX-6 @ 4.1GHz

GTX960 2048MB GDDR5

16GBB DDR3 1600 MHz Memory

The one I am looking at is a backlit 1920 x 1080.  

Thanks for the advice, most helpful.

Specs for FS9 are great so you should be fine with the 1920x1080 you have your eye on.

i am using a gtx 970 with an lg ultra wide 29 inch monitor at 2560x1080 and love it.its not 4k but better than 1080p

Indeed, the jump from gtx 670 to 970 was what prompted my monitor choice, op has 960 and interested what performance this had in fsx or p3d. The 970gtx has been nothing short of amazing with p3d2.5 and made 1440p a reality for me.

Haven't got round to installing fsx yet, (it's still in the box with the acceletaion disc) but I am still getting all my fs9 add ons installed. In fs9, with all sliders right to the max, I'm getting 39fps (with it locked at 40) so I'm a very happy bunny.

Just in case anyone is interested, I ended up getting a Samsung 27" screen.

It has all the usual things you'd expect to find plus a Games mode which doesn't really help me with flight Sim but will help me with some of my PS4 games.