Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Is there a smiling pic of Tom A?

Thank you everyone for the encouraging feedback about our friend's legacy.  Tom loved this picture, and I don't agree with changing it.  When we are finished building his memorial page, we will have many wonderful things to share about him including some other pictures he left behind.

@ Tom, I know you're wondering what all the fuss is about... but now it's our turn to let you know how much we appreciate all you did for us.

I think the current pic of Tom is perfect, don't see a need to change it.

As it was said already, that was his favourite pic

+1

I would not like to see sweeping changes at AVSIM at this time. It is comfortiable right now without making changes

Matthew Kane

Current picture is good choice IMHO

Same here.  It feels a little like some people want to force a version of Tom that didn't necessarily represent the real man.   Some people are not 'shiny happy smiley photo people' (speaking as one who is not!).

The Tom I saw through AVSIM meant business - he was driven and often came across as quite serious - but uncomprimising in his desire to do the best possible in his duties towards AVSIM.

Plus, the current picture was Tom's profile picture for as long as I've known. What can be more suitable than that?

The current picture profile is perfect. It's as if he's still watching over us to make sure we have our signatures correct :)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

The current picture profile is perfect. It's as if he's still watching over us to make sure we have our signatures correct :)

That put a smile on my face  :BigGrin:

Matthew Kane

some people want to force a version

-----------------------------------

Where in the world, to you read into that?!?!???

I made a suggestion, based on that I like smiles on people's faces. I smile alot, and enjoy seeing one on somebody's face, also.  Force?  C'mon, Graig!

Mitch

wonderful things to share about him including some other pictures he left behind.

------------------------------------

That sounds good to me.  I'm sure there are facets of the man, that other pictures would display, v.s. having only one to view.  Sound's good. The man did some truly awesome things with his life, starting AVSIM being one of them...and I am a visual guy....I take my 'read's of Life from the eyeball's in...more so, than any other method.  B)

Some people are not 'shiny happy smiley photo people' (speaking as one who is not!).

--------------------------------------

"Hey Craig, lol...get with the program. I am going to start a 'happy and smiley photo people' seminar, and want to sign ya up....!!!"   BTW, how is the disc 4 cleaning/reading going?  BTW, Life is way too short, to not want to cram as many laughs and smiles along its 'flight path'....at least for myself. ^_^

Cheers!

Smiling Mitch'er

"Hey Craig, lol...get with the program. I am going to start a 'happy and smiley photo people' seminar, and want to sign ya up....!!!"

You gonna get Kanye to sign up too......Let's face it, some people just never smile, I certainly have my moments. 

Matthew Kane

You gonna get Kanye to sign up too......Let's face it, some people just never smile, I certainly have my moments. 

"Do you recommend that he does, Matt?" Ok...I'll have to make up a sign-up form, and send it out, :)))))))))  I'm going to write a business plan...there seems to be a market for this. Could be a good retirement strategy!

It takes as many muscles working upon the mouth, to lift the corners up...rather than send them downwards.  A great early lesson from my Father.... :) It was a wonderful, parental legacy...  He once told me around the age of ten, that if your face was like a car, it would travel more miles per gallon, fueled by a smile, rather than a frown.

:BigGrin:

A contented person is not necessarily a smiling one...seems to me Tom's contentment comes shining through in the photo currently used. 

Thanks, 

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Where in the world, to you read into that?!?!???

I made a suggestion, based on that I like smiles on people's faces. I smile alot, and enjoy seeing one on somebody's face, also.  Force?  C'mon, Graig!

Mitch

Mitch, apologies if my use of language was poorly chosen.  'Force' was the wrong word. I guess what I meant to say was 'respect' that some people aren't perhaps the smiley types. To me, with all respect in the world to Tom, I just don't think he was the smiley type; especially on photos.   My late Dad was exactly the same; he'd never smile on photos and always looked sombre and serious, but like Tom - his heart was lodged right in the right place and his intentions always right.    

A contented person is not necessarily a smiling one...seems to me Tom's contentment comes shining through in the photo currently used. 

Brilliant words; I agree :smile:

"Hey Craig, lol...get with the program. I am going to start a 'happy and smiley photo people' seminar, and want to sign ya up....!!!"   BTW, how is the disc 4 cleaning/reading going?  BTW, Life is way too short, to not want to cram as many laughs and smiles along its 'flight path'....at least for myself.

Well the main reason I'm not smiling at the moment Mitch is because I tried everything to clean that FS9 CD4 (and my PC CD/DVD reader) with no luck! :(   :smile:    but nah, I'm not joining your program - the photos where I am trying to put a smile on look ridiculous - like each face muscle has been pinned into place - it looks excrutiating ha ha!  .... blue skies buddy!

Mitch, apologies if my use of language was poorly chosen.  'Force' was the wrong word. I guess what I meant to say was 'respect' that some people aren't perhaps the smiley types. To me, with all respect in the world to Tom, I just don't think he was the smiley type; especially on photos.   My late Dad was exactly the same; he'd never smile on photos and always looked sombre and serious, but like Tom - his heart was lodged right in the right place and his intentions always right.    

Brilliant words; I agree :smile:

Well the main reason I'm not smiling at the moment Mitch is because I tried everything to clean that FS9 CD4 (and my PC CD/DVD reader) with no luck! :(   :smile:    but nah, I'm not joining your program - the photos where I am trying to put a smile on look ridiculous - like each face muscle has been pinned into place - it looks excrutiating ha ha!  .... blue skies buddy!

Back atcha, Craig!  I also accept that everybody is different, and if Tom in life, had that sort of mostly intense and serious look upon his face...then that is perfectly alright in the big picture. :)))

He did look jovial in that other picture that a poster highlighted.  :) I'll just think of that picture every time I gaze upon the Founder..the Tom in the middle with the baseball cap on, ready to hear a good joke or story..... :))))  That pretty much describes my M.O.   ^_^

Sorry to read about that disc.  I wonder what happened to it.....you always kept it in its sleeve, Craig?  I think you can still order a copy of FS9, and if so...I'd buy one for sure.  Like I said, that's what I did...and there is a .exe that will allow you to not run or have a disc always in your hard drive. Or, you can make an image to do the same thing. I also did that...to save the disc.  I'm having a blast with FS9...I'm on a mission....lol.  It is really starting to look much like FSX...for I have seen others doing this the same. It can be done..and man oh man...if you can get it to what satisfies you visually...the payout is HUGE!

Cheers, my friend. Have a great day!  It's sunny around the lower Great Lakes! I'm going out today to change the oil in my GoldWing...and take her out for that first ride of the season. YES!

Mitch

Really? All this over a picture?

Change them out occasionally like google does with its logo, or random wallpaper or something. Sheesh!

Make it a living, changing memory and not some dusty, unchanging picture of a bank's founder on a wall.

Or something.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Really? All this over a picture?

Change them out occasionally like google does with its logo, or random wallpaper or something. Sheesh!

Make it a living, changing memory and not some dusty, unchanging picture of a bank's founder on a wall.

Or something.

I think it's great that Tom is pictured.  Think of the statue on the campus of Harvard College in the Green, that of John Harvard, himself sitting in the Elector's Chair.  I have rubbed that left foot for luck, along with so many others (we tourists)...that the finish has worn off...lol.  Sort of like having a statue of Tom as the Founder of AVSIM. I find it most appropriate, indeed! I just wanted a smile...(smile!).

I think the current one with the P-51D in the background is the most appropriate, especially if it was his favorite. I say don't change a thing!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.