Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

bootmgr failure lately on a Asus Z97 during P3D session

Hi,

I am starting to get these "bootmgr missing" yesterday. It all started when i was loading a saved flight with the NGX and P3D2.5.

I have a Asus Z97-Pro motherboard with latest Bios and a SSD 128GB Windows 7 64bit.

Are there any simmers outhere who have experience this ? Its all new to me actually. I never had any issues of this before. 

The SSD is about 2.5 years. So far it only happens with P3D. 

I have done a system repair (startup repair) from the original windows DVD and setup BIOS afterwards . It seems like the BIOS after the crash is failing to recognise my bootdrive .

This time around it crashed just after landing EGLL-EKCH and about 2 hours in P3D

Is it a bad SSD ? (System based pagefile) (another drive has 3072mb located). FSX and P3D drives no pagefiles.

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Lots of things to look at here:

Since it can be many things, you need to isolate the problem(s).

1. Overclock CPU? If you do, load "Optimized defaults" and keep at default speed for a while;

2. Which Sata port is used? Intel or Asmedia. You should use Intel as the preferred port.

3. With these Z97 boards, new drivers are still being rolled in. Here the principle is unfortunately the last may not be the best.Drivers to look for: Intel Sata and Asmedia, Intel chipset

4. Is your memory o'c? If yes, use the default value and test.

5. Make sure your Sata cable is plugged in correctly.

6. Make sure your Sata drive is saved as the boot drive in the BIOS.

7. Make sure you do not have another drive that would have a "bootmgr". That could cause havoc.

I have had a similar problem with my recent upgrade/reinstallation with a Maximum VII Formula.

It is now working ok, but it is in "test mode" as far as I'm concerned.

I can not pinpoint a particular item that would have caused me a boot problem. But I did all of the above and it worked..

Anyway, hope it helps.

Pierre

Pierre

Thanks,

I have checked cables and they seem fine.

Where do i see the Intel/Asmedia Port ?

******* i am sorry . Its a Z87-Pro board Bios 2103 (latest)

Memory is actually downgraded to 1333 mhz . The system just crashed in Windows as well

I am trying to use another HDD for swapfile to see if its related to the other Drive that had a pagefile of 3072mb

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

You may have to rebuild the Bcd, I've had this happen before.

1. Put the Windows installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  2. Press a key when the message Press any key to boot from CD or DVD appears.
  3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
  4. Click Repair your computer.
  5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd, and then press ENTER.

You may have to rebuild the Bcd, I've had this happen before.

• Put the Windows installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  • Press a key when the message Press any key to boot from CD or DVD appears.
  • Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  • Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd, and then press ENTER.
Thanks. Forgot to mention i have done that as well.

Strange thing is that it says. "Windows installation =0" at the end of that session.

Btw. This method requires that your Bios recognize my SSD but mostly the Bios SATA information says that HDD Slot 1 is empty. Then you cannot perform any solutions.

I unplug power and wait 5 minutes and it then shows up again in Bios. Sounds a little like a power issue?

Thanks again.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Thanks. Forgot to mention i have done that as well.

Strange thing is that it says. "Windows installation =0" at the end of that session.

Btw. This method requires that your Bios recognize my SSD but mostly the Bios SATA information says that HDD Slot 1 is empty. Then you cannot perform any solutions.

I unplug power and wait 5 minutes and it then shows up again in Bios. Sounds a little like a power issue?

Thanks again.

Michael Moe

That is a strange one, the only thing I can suggest now is the following I found for when it does show up related to the  "Windows installation =0";

If you saw;

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.

Total identified Windows installations: 0

The operation completed successfully.

This result most likely means that Windows installation data in the BCD store exists but bootrec couldn't find any additional installations of Windows on your computer to add to the BCD. That's fine, you'll just need to take a few extra steps to rebuild the BCD.

1. Since the BCD store exists and lists a Windows installation, you'll first have to "remove" it manually and then try to rebuild it again.

At the prompt, execute the bcdedit command as shown and then press Enter:

bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup
    The bcdedit command is used here to export the BCD store as a file: bcdbackup. There's no need to specify a file extension.

The command should return the following on screen:

meaning the BCD export worked as expected.

2. At this point, you need to adjust several file attributes for the BCD store so you can manipulate it.

At the prompt, execute the attrib command exactly like this:

attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
    What you just did with the attrib command was remove the hidden, read-only, and system attributes from the file bcd. Those attributes restricted the actions you could take on the file. Now that they're gone, you can manipulate the file more freely - specifically, rename it.

3. To rename the BCD store, execute the ren command as shown:
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    Now that the BCD store is renamed, you should now be able to successfully rebuild it, as you tried to do in Step 3.

Note: You could delete the BCD file entirely since you're about to create a new one. However, renaming the existing BCD accomplishes the same thing since it's now unavailable to Windows, plus provides you yet another layer of backup, in addition to the export you did in Step 5, if you decide to undo your actions.

4. Try rebuilding the BCD again by executing the following, followed by Enter:
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    which should produce this in the Command Prompt window:
    Scanning all disks for Windows installations.Please wait, since this may take a while...Successfully scanned Windows installations.Total identified Windows installations: 1[1]  C:\WindowsAdd installation to boot list? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:
    meaning that the BCD store rebuild is progressing as expected.

5. At the Add installation to boot list? question, type Enter Y or Yes, followed by the Enter key.

You should see this on screen:

meaning that the BCD rebuild is complete.

6. Restart your computer.

Assuming that an issue with the BCD store was the only problem which is still my current working assumption, Windows should start as expected. Hope this helps!

Thanks will give it ago. Any ideer why Sata slot 1 is empty (my Ssd boot and Windows drive) in Bios when i get the CRASH? Thanks Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

No to be honest I don't. I'm afraid if the above doesn't solve the problem then I am at a loss without actually being able to sit in front of the computer itself. Sorry.

No to be honest I don't. I'm afraid if the above doesn't solve the problem then I am at a loss without actually being able to sit in front of the computer itself. Sorry.

I really apreciate you time in this. 

I have followed your walktrough and this time i had "windows installation = 1" and ok.

Now its just time to do a flight and see if it holds, Will report back  :rolleyes:

So far thanks

PS!

If the failure continues would it be advisory to unplug every HDD besides the SSD ? Maybe moving the SSD to another slot ?

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Well 30 minutes inflight with the NGX from a saved flight i got a blue error screen with "kernel_data_inpage_error"

Then restart and still the BOOTMGR is missing.

How many percent should i leave for the SSD ? I have noticed that the ramaining GB changes allmost on every restart

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Just a heads up,

Now just about 58 minutes into a flight with new cables AND a new CMOS CR2032 battery.

talking about fail anallyze :-)

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Update,

I finished the flight EGLL-EKCH after changing CMOS CR2032 battery and cable

Normally i change battery every month due to some issues with ASUS boards but this was just a wild guess. Lets see if it works

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

It did not. New SSD or backup from a system image?

Thanks Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Hi again,

Is it normal to have some space not allocated on drive c?

I have 101mb .

Still boomgr during windows sessions and Prepar3D.  Could it be a virus ?

Thanks Michael

disc.jpg

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png