I have been thinking about this for quite a while, but figured I would get some opinions here. I lost my right leg below the knee in a traumatic work accident a few years ago. I have recently gotten back into the sim hobby in a big (and expensive) way with all the add on products.

I am currently using a Saitek X-55, but I am really missing the ability to properly control my yaw axis. During a real flight I took not too log ago in a Piper Warrior, I was asking my friend if he had ever had a student with a similar situation. He explained that he has had quite a few, and that what they typically do to activate the toe brakes is just slide their foot up the pedal.

I guess what I am getting at is would this be an option with the currently available rudder pedals on the market? Are they heavy enough to resist tipping over? As you can imagine I do not have the sensitivity or feedback that a regular user would have as I do not have the ankle joint to work with. Is there anyone on here in a similar situation, or know anyone who has overcome this with their home sim?

Thanks for any feedback or thoughts you might have.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

Sorry to hear about your accident - as for pedals - you could get saitek pro flight pedals and use a piece of plywood up against a wall and the pedals go up against that if the wall is to far away to hold your pedals also you could add a non stick rubber material to them - has an adjustment tension wheel in the middle to make it hard or easy to operate the motions - the foot area pedal area is also adjustable -  I think this would work well for you - I will get a pic for you

this would probably be your best option as I dont think many offerings have these kind of options which will come in handy and you cant tip it over its rock solid when propped up to a wall - its very easy to operate not much pressure needed to do any of the movments

2yl5k60.jpg

Rich Sennett

I believe you will be able to use Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals like I have without problem.   They are metal and the entire base is designed to be stuck to the floor via some heavy duty velcro.   I have mine velcroed to the carpet and they do not budge an inch.  They are very sturdy with responsive toe breaks.    To make things easier if you are not using a prosthetic leg, you can assigned both the left and the right toe breaks via FSUIPC to have one toe break press down both at the same time in the simulation for breaking purposes.   I think you should be able to use rudder part of the pedals just fine as your instructor friend said.

As Rich mentioned above, the Combat rudders also have the tension system in the center so you can adjust how much pressure is required to move the rudders back and forth.

I personally cannot live without rudder pedals.   I have to have them.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Good suggestions above . Also to help with coordination you could get something like the Saitek Instrument panel that sits clearly in view so you can refer to the turn co coordinator at at all times

http://asn.aerosoft.com/?page_id=25540

But if you have a spare second screen there is free instrument software available  as well

ZORAN

I am in the same position as you.  What I  use is the Saitek combat pedals and I have the right pedal set with the toe at the lowest angle.  This makes it easier to calibrate and you operate them with your heels on the bar at the bottom and when you need to brake you just slide your right foot up like your friend suggested.  Good Luck!

What a coincidence you found this thread. A coworker of mine recently loaned me his Saitek Combat Pedals, along with a Thrustmaster Warthog. Its all still in my office, not hooked up as I have been rather slow to stop by the hardware store for a sheet of wood and some screws to mount the pedals to. I did a dry run and tried them out while not hooked to the computer, and on carpet, they were way to awkward to use as they were sliding around and tipping over. I am hoping that I can make it all work if I mount them to something. Of course the other part of me wonders if its all worth the hassle, and should i stick to my X-55. DCS and the A-10 is what is primarily driving my interest in pedals as the TM HOTAS has no twist grip.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST