Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Is there ANY possible way to create/have animated road traffic in FS9?!?!?

Why can't FS9 have road traffic vectored to such programs like Ultimate Terrain and such?

Why can FSX run animation, but FS9 can not.  Is it a hard code barrier?

Just wondering....

Hi Mitch:

It is possible, and has been done, but coverage is limited to only a few scenery packages covering specific airport or country areas. :wink:

https://www.google.com/#q=FS2004+animated+highway+traffic

GaryGB

Would this approach be too VAS intensive, for gobal, Gary?  I am REALLY getting back into FS9...and I guess my FSX-lust-for-comparable features is showing itself...lol!

Cheers!

Hi Mitch:

Would I be correct that you asked whether animated FS9 HWY traffic display may be too demanding on resources for a Windows FS9 task session such that it might not work if implemented on a "global" basis ...for the entire FS9 world ?  :Thinking:

Practically everyone nowadays that is running FS9 has a computer with a decent CPU and GPU / discrete video card which is also capable of running FSX tolerably well.

And since the aggregate system resource demands of rendering complex scenery for FS9 is about 1/10 that of FSX, even when flying complex aircraft (which is a major factor compelling many here to use FS9 versus FSX or P3D), one should still be able to display such scenery enhancements as animated HWY traffic ...without a substantial hit on FPS or VAS.

From the scenery development standpoint, I'd have to study how this has been done in the few FS9 sceneries which implemented animated FS9 HWY traffic display, before I could comment on how feasible it might be to add this as an "overlay" on existing default or add-on scenery (whether freeware or payware). :Nerd:

But as a far as the system resource demand goes, unless the vehicles were implemented as AI traffic vehicles, I speculate that the "resource expense" of rendering this in FS9 would not be prohibitive.

And even if implemented as AI traffic vehicles, a modern, optimized computer might render such scenery in FS9 quite well.

BTW: There actually legacy FS2002 (aka "FS8") and FS2000 (aka "FS7") sceneries which even put moving vehicle traffic headlight "light splashes" on the ground.. and IIRC, they also can be displayed in FS9.

Lots of good stuff out there to still be enjoyed in FS9 (...which is why I use and develop scenery for both FSX and 'legacy' versions of FS !) :smile:

I'm always astonished how many FS users feel like it is somehow a good thing to brag that they no longer even have FS9 installed and now exclusively use "FS-vNext" by "Sim DuJour". :rolleyes:

FS9 continues to be great fun for the minimal expense of only 6 GB of disk space for a 'base' installation ...alongside FSX and "FS-vNext" ! B)

GaryGB

Long time ago I did this AI traffic here at Las Vegas. Such traffic does only work on completely flat areas. They are drivable models.

Bernard

15058617288_1c2a17ba1d_b.jpgl

Long time ago I did this AI traffic here at Las Vegas. Such traffic does only work on completely flat areas. They are drivable models.

Bernard

15058617288_1c2a17ba1d_b.jpgl

I have to say, that Grey Hound bus and cars look great!  I mean, they almost look real.

Has anyone REALLY tried this?  If so, what's the report.  It's been "around" for a long time but never heard any reviews.

Yes, moving lights at night and a kind of "static cars" at certain streets at day. I use it for years now without any problem.

Only downside: left hand traffic...

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Yes REALLY! Just moving lights, not very exciting. But why don't you try it yourself?

Don't normally load things onto my computer/FS9 without first verifying the thing is safe and what it really does.

Thank you.