Sign in to follow this  
Appliance

Everybody MUST READ !

The following is a complete Editorial article taken from the SimFlight website today.

I have uninstalled  the update referred to.

Quote -

Editorial: That’s a bit cheeky, Microsoft!
BY BOB, FRIDAY, 10 APRIL 2015 @ 14:12

mslogo.pngMany users of Microsoft operating systems just tend to set their updates to ‘automatic’, or click install on anything ‘recommended’ or ‘important’ without looking what the update actually does.

Sometimes, the result of this can be downright dangerous – updates have, in the past, disabled hardware or software and, on rare occasions, made your OS completely unusable until the ‘update’ is manually removed. Sometimes, it’s hard to work out what the update actually does, until you or someone else digs a little deeper: Such is the case with KB 3035583 “Update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user. It applies to a computer that is running Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1).

The update, it appears, does indeed ‘add functionality for Windows Update’, serving no function other than turning your PC into an advertisement for Windows 10 plus, potentially, then installing it anyway whether you want it or not. This link gives a good write-up on the various ‘phases’ of deployment listed.

Now, this may not be a bad thing for many people, as all the articles around the internet regarding KB 3035583 point out, if it makes it easier to update to a newer OS with minimum hassle. But what if you’re an experienced Windows user – like many in this hobby – who knows about Windows 10 and doesn’t need it pushing on them, perhaps while they are evaluating it on another PC, dual booting or, indeed, delaying installation until the bugs that inevitably exist in any new release get mitigated against or quashed?

According to many discussions, KB 3035583 started out as “Optional”, then was updgraded to “Recommended” and is now being distributed as “Important”, meaning that a lot of Windows installations will download and install it automatically and silently, so the user just suddenly starts getting advertising in their face. At the start of this article, I used the word “cheeky”, but it’s actually downright dishonest of Microsoft in my opinion to label what is basically adware as “Important”. That classification is for security or serious bug updates, especially when part of the wording on the KB page states “Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the “Applies to” section.” Emphasis mine, because there is no problem. This is pure marketing for Windows 10.

While this update is, in itself, comparatively innocuous, just annoying, it does to go show that automatically updating to what Microsoft suggests you do through Windows update isn’t always the best idea in the world. You might want to look up the KB article before hitting install and, if you still don’t know what it does, untick the box while you do a few Google searches. At worst, you’ll avoid getting ads for Windows 10 shoved in your face. At best, you’ll avoid major problems and a series of command prompt or safe mode instructions that you need to follow, to remove something you really didn’t want, need and which broke software you actually want to use.

- Unquote

Windows (7, at least), makes it incredibly easy to uninstall updates.  Stop the panic, it'll all be fine.

Plus, the Windows community is so large, if it ever came to that, someone would come up with a workaround within a week.

sig01.png

I feel left out since I'm still running WinXP ..... sigh!  I could use some good adverts ..... it's lonely here.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The FS2004 (FS9) Forum" to "WIN10 OS Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I've had this KB update installed since 4 April and have yet to see any W10 adverts. :rolleyes:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The update isn't yet active, it seems:

"There is also a reference to an OnlineAdUrl, presumably a page hyping the benefits of Windows 10, though this is currently a dead link. The update appears to be intended to advertise Windows 10 and push the user towards consenting to download and install it."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/09/microsofts_mystery_update_will_push_windows_10_onto_window_7_8_machines/

(That's one of the links in the OP.)

Well  I got  that update installed  and  havnt  been forced into windows  10  or  havnt  seen any type  of  adds  for  it  seems  to be  some mystery about  this update?  So if  its not  active  than how  come  its been released  for update  than?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

It will get even worse once Windows 10 is released and on your machines.

The Consumer version will not allow you to deselect individual items from windows update so you will get everything MS chooses to throw at you including GPU drivers, Oh what fun that will be.

But we are getting 10 for free so it would be churlish to complain, right ?

The Enterprise versions allow for turning off Windows updates presumably because those folks tend to roll out their own images.

Microsoft are desperate to get people and particularity business users off Windows XP and 7, it makes perfect sense to start getting people revved up.  Hell, they are actually giving Windows 10 away.

I am fairly ambivalent to Windows 10, but it's a good strategy.   

Ian R Tyldesley

Microsoft are desperate to get people and particularity business users off Windows XP and 7...

XP I understand but I only bought 2 licences for 7 18 months ago as that's when I finally had a PC capable of running FSX. As support remains with 7 for a few years yet I would be very annoyed if Microsoft started badgering me to upgrade... even for no charge.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I feel left out since I'm still running WinXP ..... sigh!  I could use some good adverts ..... it's lonely here.

Same here - XP. I don't know whether to feel left out or lucky, but at least I can sit back and see how things play out before I make a choice or before I am strong armed into something I'm not going to like.

Regards,