Sign in to follow this  
jonss1948

Upgrading to P3D v2.5

Hi everyone,

I am about to download P3D v2.5 and already have v2.4 with the 777 200lr installed. This is merely to ask whether I can expect any known issues when installing the aircraft to v2.5 ? I am so pleased with v2.4 and the 777 that I do not want to break a fully functioning install.

Jon

I just did the same thing with no issues to report. Exact same situation as you are/ were in....super nervous.

Hi everyone,

I am about to download P3D v2.5 and already have v2.4 with the 777 200lr installed. This is merely to ask whether I can expect any known issues when installing the aircraft to v2.5 ? I am so pleased with v2.4 and the 777 that I do not want to break a fully functioning install.

Jon

Full names in the PMDG forums please Jon.

There is an excellent Prepar3D forum in AVSIM that is active.  There you can find information on other addons such as ASN, which does have an upgrade for latest patches.

Yes, PMDG announced support included in cost for all L-M updates up to and including v3.0 (64b) so you needn't worry about v2.5.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thank you for the info everyone. Now, here goes for about a 4 hour download and no, I'm not on dial-up, just live in Brisbane, Australia.

Jon Shearer

Thank you for the info everyone. Now, here goes for about a 4 hour download and no, I'm not on dial-up, just live in Brisbane, Australia.

Jon Shearer

Mine would always stop at about the same time after 5 hours for an 8 hour download. With v2.4, I downloaded each cab file but with v2.5 I purchased Internet Download Manager (IDM) and now use that for all downloads.  Pretty handy when Robert gives us a beta file for base and extension in all three platforms. Makes download easy, runs in the background, doesn't tie up your browser and downloads a little faster because it opens multiple streams.

Dan Downs KCRP

You might want to upgrade ASNext if you use it.

Thanks, I just did it. I hate flying without ASN and REX Soft Clouds.

Jon Shearer

I lost total heart when I mistakenly installed it to my C: Drive. Must be brain shrink I think. The old brain has had a hiding. Ah, Youth. Wasted on the young. Now the only Flight Simulator able to run is FSX, which it does very well. (Which brings me to a point along the way. Bandwidth in Australia is platinum coated and I do not wish to use it totally downloading a program I already have. Just nice manageable updates please, devs.) ASN   might work again once I re download it. I'm at that point in time where a complete and total OS reinstall is necessary, so I'll come back to report my victory over P3D v2.5 after the fact. I am not looking forward to this.

Jon Shearer

Jon, I expect that PMDG will issue very few "patches" and will issue full installers for updates.  I am not speaking for PMDG, but they now have products on multiple platforms and I think the complete installer approach has many advantages for them.  At least liveries are separate.  I think the path they are considering is using the OC extensively for updates, and if they figure that out then you may see the smaller downloads managed by the OC; and that is very attractive to PMDG.  That would certainly make the update process easier for the customer.

The main reason I'm responding to your post is because I'd like to recommend you use a download manager if bandwidth is an issue.  The Internet Download Manager product I now use for all downloads is inexpensive, improves the effective download rate or allows you to throttle the rate if that's important and it does a very good job of restarting a download if it is broken. It also has a queue feature but that's getting too far off topic.  I have an excellent ISP but I could not complete a P3D download because it would halt around 8 GB, almost to 10 GB but not quite.  The IDM solved my problem.

Flight simulators will work on the C: drive, I ran that way for many many years and only migrated FSX/FSXSE/XPlane to an F: drive in the past year.  My P3D is on my SSD C: drive and works just fine.

Dan Downs KCRP

I use "Free Download Manager" or FDM and that works quite well too.

For P3D I tried downloading it through Chrome but something must of happened and one of the files didn't download correctly. I didn't want to install a download manager so I downloaded a program called Free Download Manager Portable. It's probably the same as the one Wes mentioned in his post above but you don't have to install it on your computer just extract and run.