Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

737NGX Full Flight video tutorial from Planning and weather concerns to manual HGS landing.

Hello,

First of all, I apologise in advance if this sort of thing is not allowed here. I finished uploading a video last night where I go through my own personal procedure of conducting a flight in the NGX.

I try to keep the flight short and basic (and only really scratch the surface of what the NGX can do!)

Hopefully it'll help out the new pilots (and maybe even provide a couple of tips for the experts)

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Neil this is great. Is there a way to download it so I can refer to it when I want? Can you email it to me or something? I really like the way you explain things in your video.

Thanks.

Jack Sawyer

Is there a way to download it so I can refer to it when I want? Can you email it to me or something? 

Thanks Jack! much appreciated.

The original upload is 3.5GB so I don't think email would really do the trick :)

I've just tried this out http://vidconv.net/ and it *seems* to work (looks like it downloads at 720p max though, but maybe it's enough?)

Neil Andrews.

Thanks Neil, I'm on my iPad right now, will try it on my iMac soon. I'd like to do exactly as you did and make this flight. You make it look easy!

Jack Sawyer

Jack, if you want I can send the PDF flight plan I used in the video? Just pm me your email address.

If not, no worries! Have a good flight!

Neil Andrews.

Alex(young).....sorry Neil :smile:

Enjoyed it, thanks for taking the time to make it. I've subscribed.

I think we all do things a little different, I turn off AT about 8 miles out and AP off on GS alive, I also hand fly upto TOC, but hey I think Ryanair SOR is far more how you do things. 

Great job enjoyed it.

Would love to join a VA and since I flight 80% of the time as Ryanair that would be sweet but I don't fly online.

I will enjoy all you other vids.

Thanks very much Neil. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Glad you like it Dave! interesting about how when you turn off the AT/AP, I should really try handflying a lot earlier in the approach. I would highly recommend Virtual Ryanair http://vryr.eu their ACARS is great and the routes are brilliant.

You don't need to fly online at all by the way, in fact all my flights for vryr have been offline. Haven't quite mustered up the courage for VATSIM just yet :)

Neil Andrews.

Thought you have to fly online, so that's great news will go see.

Try AT off Neil it's fun and am sure I read somewhere that's quite a few airline company's do it like that.

I did notice you had a warning light on before TOD, do you know why?

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Very good Neil,   Great tutorial, Plenty of information in there   :rolleyes:

Try AT off Neil it's fun and am sure I read somewhere that's quite a few airline company's do it like that.

I did notice you had a warning light on before TOD, do you know why?

To be honest I do land with the Autothrottle off, AP off and no HUD but that particular approach I had to record about 4 times. First the NGX didn't fly the racetrack pattern properly so I ended up way off the approach course. then I did it again, greased the landing without AT/AP or HUD...then discovered that Shadowplay had recorded the bloody thing with the wrong resolution.  I did it again and landed quite...shall we say, 'firm' :lol:  so the last time I thought 'bugger this, I'm using the HUD and AT' and that's the one you see in the video! shhh, don't tell anyone!  :lol:

As for the master caution light, I have no idea why it was there, I really should read up on the caution systems in the FCOM.  :blush:

Very good Neil,   Great tutorial, Plenty of information in there   :rolleyes:

Cheers Elaine!

Neil Andrews.

I know some companies use the AT on short final and landing, and I assume some don't..

Either way is viable as far as Boeing is concerned. I've seen some mention that if using

the HGS, using AT allows one to stick to Vref+5, even if a bit of wind mayhem..

Myself, I've tried it both ways, but I prefer to run the throttle myself. But I do leave the AT

armed in case I need TOGA for a missed.. One thing I don't like about a AT landing is it

tends to run the throttle nearly all the way down to the ground, and when I get close and

start to flare, it tends to goose it up a tad to hold Vref+5, when I actually want it to go to idle.

Which tends to make you float a tad to bleed off that speed, and thus land a bit longer than

I would manual.

With the AT on, you have to really aggressively plant the plane down to avoid that it seems.

I tend to land better if I'm running the throttle I think..

I'll often run the throttle down to 20 feet or even slightly less if I need it, but I like to decide

when to go to idle.  Or that's my $2.31 cents worth anyway..   :wacko:

But I do leave the AT
armed in case I need TOGA for a missed.. One thing I don't like about a AT landing is it
tends to run the throttle nearly all the way down to the ground, and when I get close and
start to flare, it tends to goose it up a tad to hold Vref+5, when I actually want it to go to idle.
Which tends to make you float a tad to bleed off that speed, and thus land a bit longer than
I would manual.

Great bit of info there Mark, thanks! if you watch the video you'll notice that my landing is a long one (even betty had a go at me about it!) but now you point out that the AT tends to idle later than you would manually, this makes a lot of sense. the FCTM states that ideally as you begin to pull the throttles back to idle the moment your main gear touches the runway should be when your throttles hit idle.

warning light on before TOD

Dave, I quickly skipped through the video and noticed a glaring error that explains the Master Caution light. There was something 'off' when it should have been 'armed' for the entire flight! haha see if you can spot it (tip: it's a covered switch on the overhead) answers on a postcard.... ;)

Neil Andrews.

Postcard

Emergency Exit Lights

Bet you never make that mistake, pressure of recording I bet.

PS 

Just joined Ryanair VA, just set up weights and Topcat.

PS

I try to hit the deck at VREF speed or just over, am at VAPP to around 30-20-10 ft then cut the throttle try to get touch down on or just above VREF. Flare around 10ft 4 degrees nose up if below that or hold it. 

Great bit of info there Mark, thanks! if you watch the video you'll notice that my landing is a long one (even betty had a go at me about it!) but now you point out that the AT tends to idle later than you would manually, this makes a lot of sense. the FCTM states that ideally as you begin to pull the throttles back to idle the moment your main gear touches the runway should be when your throttles hit idle.

I know it usually autolands that way.. I guess I flare a wee bit more manual than an autoland,

which causes it to keep the throttle up or even slightly increase it as it's flaring out.

But it always seems to go to idle later than what I would like it to do unless I flare just right,

and perfectly mimic an autoland.

Postcard

Emergency Exit Lights

Bet you never make that mistake, pressure of recording I bet.

PS 

Just joined Ryanair VA, just set up weights and Topcat.

PS

I try to hit the deck at VREF speed or just over, am at VAPP to around 30-20-10 ft then cut the throttle try to get touch down on or just above VREF. Flare around 10ft

:lol: I can't believe I missed it!

Great news about vRYR, make sure you check out the docs, especially the points system.

Neil Andrews.