Sign in to follow this  
templar998

PMDG A350

A PMDG 757 would hit the sweet spot and it would be up their alley.  Level D has been saying that it will happen for so long that IF it does, I won't be around to fly it.  I think that the powers that be have some allegiance to LevelD, and that's why they haven't acted on it.  I still fly their 767 and I have given up on their 57.  I'll bet that if PMDG did produce it, it would surpass their T7 sales in a heartbeat.  It's just the bridge between steam & push button automation.

Gnacino

Firstly, Airbus designs aren't that different to Boeing. If they were totally different, pilots would have a very hard time transitioning from A to B or vice versa. Secondly a relationship with Boeing does not preclude a relationship with Airbus. Those aren't the reasons why a PMDG Airbus is unlikely at present. It has much more to do with what aircraft types PMDG are interested in simulating.

We're not talking about transitioning pilots though, think about systems engineers instead (especially avionics). PMDG are able to reuse/adapt some code between their Boeing products to reduce development time, with Airbus they'd have to relearn and then recode almost everything.

Whilst I agree that PMDG "being in bed" with Boeing wouldn't preclude an Airbus product, it's very easy for them to get data and information from Boeing because of the relationship they have and it's taken them many years to get to that point.

Basically, doing an Airbus is more work because they'd have to start everything from step 1. It takes comparatively less of their resources to bring a Boeing product to market because the foundations are already laid.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

We're not talking about transitioning pilots though, think about systems engineers instead (especially avionics). PMDG are able to reuse/adapt some code between their Boeing products to reduce development time, with Airbus they'd have to relearn and then recode almost everything.

Whilst I agree that PMDG "being in bed" with Boeing wouldn't preclude an Airbus product, it's very easy for them to get data and information from Boeing because of the relationship they have and it's taken them many years to get to that point.

Basically, doing an Airbus is more work because they'd have to start everything from step 1. It takes comparatively less of their resources to bring a Boeing product to market because the foundations are already laid.

If the concepts and designs were that different it would certainly affect training of pilots. As it happens I am a systems engineer. I work with Airbus and Boeing flight simulator data all the time and working on one is no more difficult than working on the other. The avionics is conceptually very similar apart from the flight control system. Even that has much commonality, only diverging in detail. There would be no need to design an Airbus version of everything from scratch, you could modify much existing code.

As for the relationship with Boeing, this is no doubt primarily a commercial relationship and such a relationship with Airbus is equally possible. It wouldn't take years to develop. Yes they would have to start from scratch on a personal level but it is not an impossible barrier. If they were interested in making an Airbus they would make the extra effort where necessary.

PMDG are after all creating a classic piston engined DC6. Almost nothing in common with a Boeing jet airliner. They made an MD11 in the past which was far closer in concept to Airbus than Boeing. The J41 is also not like anything else. I don't think it's the aircraft manufacturer which is the problem.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Why do people want either the 787 or the A350, both are boring?  Push a button to takeoff, button to land and other than that monitor the systems.  The PMDG 777 was a masterclass in that, amazingly well developed aircraft, but so boring.

Older the better for me, late 50's, 60's and 70's aircraft, preferably Russian. 

Because it's modern times. Speaking of times, get with it.

There are plenty of flight simmers who want to fly older aircraft, just like there are plenty of race simmers who want to drive classic cars.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Why do people want either the 787 or the A350, both are boring?  Push a button to takeoff, button to land and other than that monitor the systems.  The PMDG 777 was a masterclass in that, amazingly well developed aircraft, but so boring.

Older the better for me, late 50's, 60's and 70's aircraft, preferably Russian. 

Personal preference?

Nothing would bore me more than a smelly old 60s Russian aircraft.  Each to their own.     I value technology and simplicity in FS.   Both can be fun.  

A PMDG 757 would hit the sweet spot and it would be up their alley.  Level D has been saying that it will happen for so long that IF it does, I won't be around to fly it.  I think that the powers that be have some allegiance to LevelD, and that's why they haven't acted on it.  I still fly their 767 and I have given up on their 57.  I'll bet that if PMDG did produce it, it would surpass their T7 sales in a heartbeat.  It's just the bridge between steam & push button automation.

Gnacino

Spot on!  Agree 100%.    (and I'm not even particularly a 757 fan but your thinking is exactly correct).

Because it's modern times. Speaking of times, get with it.

Lol - I suddenly feel the need to put on my Glenn Miller album and reminisce about Ginger and I taking down our first German bomber over the blue skies of France, young whipper-snapper.

Personal preference?

Yes each to there own, i was merely voicing my personal preference.

I would purchase anything made by PMDG, if they made a 787 i would get it without hesitation but i personally am very much looking forward to the DC-6 and hope that this is the start of a series of older Aircraft.

Gramps signing off...

Ian R Tyldesley

Let's stick to the Boeing ....:)

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

I certainly wouldn't get your hopes up about an A350!

Personally, I'd rather PMDG develop a 787, but any Airbus aircraft seems a longshot for now.

Guys,

Personal opinions should be able to be expressed here without worrying about being attacked by others. If you're part of the group taking shots at another for what someone else is interested in, knock it off.

This is just my own, personal opinion, related to opinions expressed in this thread:

• I love old aircraft. Heck, I was on cloud nine this weekend when I was hanging out in a DC3 and a P51 taxied by. The DC6 is coming down the line, so that should satisfy some of my old airliner hunger to a certain degree.
  • Russian aircraft seem cool. I used Samdim's Tu-114 and Project Tupolev's Tu-154. Both were modeled pretty well and were fun and challenging (especially since I don't know Russian/Cyrillic). I highly doubt that we'd ever venture here, though it would be a cool project/challenge. The Tu-144 and Tu-154 have always been interesting to me. An An-124 and 225 could be cool, but all of those would be pretty niche.
  • I'm no true fan of Airbus, and I don't think much of the rest of the team is, either. At the same time, I don't think any of us truly have a disdain for the manufacturer. Regardless, I don't think anyone here has a passion for their offerings to the point where we'd do it.

Seriously, though...classic aircraft...

10251356_593820337387278_481935358_n.jpg

Kyle Rodgers

Gnacino

I'm on board with this one!!!  The 57 is a rocket ship!!  PMDG 757 would be awesome!!!

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

I'm no true fan of Airbus, and I don't think much of the rest of the team is, either. At the same time, I don't think any of us truly have a disdain for the manufacturer. Regardless, I don't think anyone here has a passion for their offerings to the point where we'd do it.

Careful there Kyle, you can not reasonably expect to talk about one of the two most important airline manufacturers in the world while using the word 'disdain', and not expect to have your personal opinion sharply criticised, or talk about the PMDG team plans and motivation and expect your comments to be treated as your 'personal' opinion. 

Rembering that half of PMDG's planned product line is not Boeing should help you keep some perspective, or that PMDG did start an Airbus project before a member of their team moved on to other things.

Careful there Kyle, you can not reasonably expect to talk about one of the two most important airline manufacturers in the world while using the word 'disdain', and not expect to have your personal opinion sharply criticised, or talk about the PMDG team plans and motivation and expect your comments to be treated as your 'personal' opinion. 

Review my earlier post for the following:

1. The context of the use of 'disdain' (it was actually used in a neutral sense); and
  2. The fact that my post lacked any references to actual company plans (and I went so far as to note that it was a personal opinion to further emphasize that, to avoid wild tangents and theories).

...please don't kick dust up for the sake of kicking dust up.

Kyle Rodgers

To be honest, Aerosoft's Airbuses are at such a good point now, I wouldn't really be interested in a long and commited PMDG development of an Airbus.  Yes I've heard all the guff about the AS buses not being 'really deep' but for normal line operations they are very functional.  They are also innovative with things like the universally usable Weather Radar, and now Shared Flight Deck functionality.   

Before I get slapped for rambling on about the AS buses in the PMDG forum, I'll just reiterate that my point is, let Aerosoft do the Airbuses and let PMDG focus on the areas that interest them, and that they specialize in.

*I have deliberately not referred to the FSL Airbus here, as I'm specifically talking about current products, that are available now.

What I'd love to see from PMDG :-

• a 757 or 767
  • a 717 (virtually untouched in the FS world)
  • a regional jet (perhaps a PMDG level ERJ?)
  • a good modern turbo-prop (ATR 72-600?)
  • any General Aviation aircraft, done to PMDG standards

a 717 (virtually untouched in the FS world)

Oh you guys...you're all hitting the ones I'd love to see!!  lol!

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png