Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Are there any good ATC addon that works with P3D 2.5?

So when using these ATC add-ons with commercial planes like the PMDG 777/737, can I have the ATC vector me? Would I have to load the same flight plan from my PMDG and submit it to the ATC add-on somehow? I'm not familiar with how this will work.

I use PFPX to plan my flights, and theres a section for ATC that have the flight plan, do I just cut and paste that when filing my IFR flight plan with ATC?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Seems like I'm going to give Pro ATC/X a try. Hope it supports (vectoring) since I see a lot of that on my FMC when loading a flight plan that PFPX created.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Make sure you read up on ProATC.  I use PFPX as well and by default it'll select your SID / STAR for you usually.  And ProATC will want to do that as well, and it can result in some rather interesting flightplans.  There's some good info on their forums over there that should help you learn the best way to go as far as PFPX / ProATC-X, and your FMC.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

Okay I got Pro-ATC/X, but can't seem to get the flight plan to load in the FMC for PMDG 777.

I type in KIAHPHNLCLR and hit LSK for Co-Route, and I get a message 'Not in database'

I recheck all my paths are correct for where all the flight plans should be saved to and everything. I can't figure this out. I heard that you need to get clearance from ATC first before the actual flight plans are created. But how do I do that?

Do I hit the ~ key to open up FSX's ATC menu and get clearance that way? I would appreciate if you can help me get this working.

Thanks.

You have not copied FP to pmdg\flightplans\777 folder or incorrect format that the 777 cannot read. Check you are exporting fp correctly

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Hi All,

I've been researching for new ATC software. At the moment I use VoxATC and in general find it excellent, but for one thing, it's not very stable. I can fly several flights without a hitch, and then over the next few flights I get an error message come up two or three times in a flight. It's easy enough to remedy, just shutdown Vox and restart then all you have to do is re-contact the appropriate ATC frequency. It's just very annoying and not very realistic.

So I was looking at PATC and liked what I saw, especially with this months new version, but, and please correct me if I'm wrong, having read the entire manual it seems it's completely menu driven and not voice controlled. If that's the case it is no good to me as I find that unacceptable nowadays.

Would like to know what you guys think.

Cheers.

Paul

Pro ATC was reworked and released about 6 weeks ago, and while it was good before, it is excellent now and is really close to flying ATC in the real world, which I have done. Makes flight plans, and assigns sids and stars, moving map , ATC chatter, co pilot, will give you an ILS or Rnav approach, vectors to final etc. and handles you from Clearance delivery to Taxi to the gate after the flight. It is also a work in progress and is constantly being updated. never fly my VA without it. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Interesting, so the latest version is fully p3d v3 compatible? Can I use it solely as an ATC addon. I have PFPX for my flightplanner. Can the 2 work together?

I recheck all my paths are correct for where all the flight plans should be saved to and everything. I can't figure this out. I heard that you need to get clearance from ATC first before the actual flight plans are created. But how do I do that?

Do I hit the ~ key to open up FSX's ATC menu and get clearance that way? I would appreciate if you can help me get this working.

Just a quick check up, are you up and running with ProATC? If not, please post on the official support forum and will figure out what is happening.

PMDG products are the most used with ProATC so this should be easy to solve (most common problem is starting 777 from cold and dark and forgetting to switch the com1 mic on).

Interesting, so the latest version is fully p3d v3 compatible? Can I use it solely as an ATC addon. I have PFPX for my flightplanner. Can the 2 work together?

Yes, ProATC is V3 compatible. You can use it solely as ATC/Moving map. I personally import real world flight plans into PFPX and ProATC. Works without problems.

Here is an old video, where I show how to use PFPX with ProATC (one of the first videos I have ever done, so sorry for the quality): 

Edited by Jarkko

Jarko thanks for the video... can Pro-ATC used for GA aviation as well. I have an A2A Cessna 182 with Garmin GTN 750. Will it work with Pro-ATC? I'm guessing not, because I don't see a profile for the 182, and also the GTN 750 uses it's own proprietary flight plan files. So I would have to manually punch in the flight plan from Pro-ATC, into the GTN.

captain420, on 30 Nov 2015 - 1:03 PM, said:

can Pro-ATC used for GA aviation as well. I have an A2A Cessna 182 with Garmin GTN 750. Will it work with Pro-ATC? I'm guessing not, because I don't see a profile for the 182, and also the GTN 750 uses it's own proprietary flight plan files. So I would have to manually punch in the flight plan from Pro-ATC, into the GTN.

ProATC isn't developed with GA aircraft in mind so here are a couple of things that are needed if you intend to fly with GA:

1) You need to create a aircraft profile for ProATC, cruise speed, ceiling, descent profile to name a few parameters. You are not limited to the provided profiles. You can create your own or modify the existing.

2) The GA aircraft should be able to import the same AIRAC cycle that is used by ProATC. Otherwise you will end up in a situation where the aircraft doesn't have the SID/STAR/approach/airway in it's database, that ProATC clears you to fly.

You could also try to plan routes that would avoid SID/STARs and transitions, but this might not be worth the effort. This is why I would say that for best experience, bigger aircraft should be prefered.

Edited by Jarkko

So if I fly VFR GA flying, then I'm out of options when it comes to having ATC features at all?

I'm using A2A Cessna 182 with Flight1's GTN 750 Unit. 

I want to be able to start at an airpot parked in a GA space and then have ATC direct me from taxi to departing runway and anything else along my route until final approach. 

But since the GTN750 unit isn't using AIRAC navdata but it's own. I guess I'm out of luck using PRO-ATC then. 

How can I get a realistic ATC experience if I'm going to fly GA instead of IFR with tubeliners?

So if I fly VFR GA flying, then I'm out of options when it comes to having ATC features at all?

That is correct. ProATC doesn't support VFR flights at all. To quote ProATC's homepage:

"PRO-ATC/X is designed to control aircraft flying under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR). So if you prefer "The Big Ones", you are for sure surfing on the right site."

The reason for this is simple, the default ATC is quite OK for VFR flights, but lacking for IFR flights. ProATC is designed to fill that gap.

Jarkko thanks for clearing that up for me! :) Now onto my next question. I have ActiveSkyNext for weather, and I use PFPX for flight planning.I would like to be able to upload the wind data and all that good stuff into my PMDG 777's fmc. Since I always export 2 files in PFPX after I finish my flight planning. One is the route file and the other is the weather file so that when I load the plan into my FMC, it will recognize that there's also a weather profile as well and will be uploaded into the FMC. 

But if I use PRO-ATC, how will I be able to get this to work correctly, Since it also supports reading the weather snapshot from ASN. So do I use the weather file in PFPX when exporting to my PMDG, or do I ignore that, and use the weather that's built into PRO-ATC?

So do I use the weather file in PFPX when exporting to my PMDG, or do I ignore that, and use the weather that's built into PRO-ATC?

The thing is, that ProATC doesn't provide weather. You can configure ProATC to read the "current weather" (METARs) from different sources (ASN, VATSIM, NOAA, FSGRW, Opus or from the sim).

If you use ASN to inject weather into the sim, then it would be good idea to have ProATC read the "current weather" from the ASN snapshot. This way, ProATC will know what kind of weather ASN plans to inject into the sim once you get near enough to your destination airport.

The reason I'm talking about "current weather" is that by using the ASN snapshot, you are not limited to flying with real time weather. You can fly with with ASN configured to use historic weather and ProATC would still keep in sync as it get's the weather info from the ASN snapshot (historic or real time).

---

Why does ProATC need a weather source?

The thing is that (AFAIK) modern weather engines inject calm weather into all the airports until you are a close enough for the weather engine to start inject correct weather. If ProATC would choose the landing runway based on the these (generic) calm conditions, you might end up with tailwind landings and all kind of strange things.

With a weather source configured, ProATC is able to guess what kind of weather is going to be injected to your arrival airport ahead of time. This is especially important when flying in Europe, where STARs are runway heading specific. Your weather engine might be still be injecting (fake) calm weather into the sim ATC is giving you the arrival clearance.

If your weather engine would start injecting the correct weather once you are already flying the STAR, it would be a hassle to get you re-routed to a STAR that is suitable for the updated winds/weather. This is why a ProATC needs a METAR/TAF source.

For most consistency, PFPX and ProATC should have the same weather source configured. ASN, NOAA or VATSIM in your example case.

----

EDIT: One more thing, You can export a route from PFPX in SquawkBox3 format and then import it into ProATC. The other option (which I prefer) is to copy/paste the route string from PFPX to ProATC (you just have to remember to add the origin and destination to you route string when importing the route string into ProATC).

Edited by Jarkko