Sign in to follow this  
MrLyo

ILS glideslope failure

Hi,

I have had the pmdg 737ngx for a couple of months now. It mostly works without a problem.. however I'm having trouble with the ILS: I tune the ILS frequency on the nav1 radio (the dial right under the dial used to tune in frequencies for communicating with ATC). I almost always get the localizer, but the glideslope tends to either not show up at all; or show up and then dissapear. It has worked sometimes, but most of the time this happens to me. It feels very much like a bug, but Im wondering if there is anything I might be doing wrong? I also usually set the approach on the FMC, but this happens to me regardless of whether I have done this or not.

Thanks!!

Lyonel Aguilar

Hi,

I have had the pmdg 737ngx for a couple of months now. It mostly works without a problem.. however I'm having trouble with the ILS: I tune the ILS frequency on the nav1 radio (the dial right under the dial used to tune in frequencies for communicating with ATC). I almost always get the localizer, but the glideslope tends to either not show up at all; or show up and then dissapear. It has worked sometimes, but most of the time this happens to me. It feels very much like a bug, but Im wondering if there is anything I might be doing wrong? I also usually set the approach on the FMC, but this happens to me regardless of whether I have done this or not.

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum. It's a requirement here to post your full, real name in each of your posts. Please do so in the future.

As far as your issue goes, can you be more specific? What approach were you flying? There are a good number of airports in the sim that didn't have ILS when FSX was released, but have it now. In order to use this, though, you'd need to download updated files from sites like AVSIM.

Have you flown the two tutorials?

Kyle Rodgers

Hi! alright, didnt know that. It was my first post! 

Its happened to me on a number of airports that have worked fully before with the default FSX 737. Last time this happened was at Frankfurt (EDDF). Its also happened in KLAX, KMIA, KDEN, KSLC, KORD, and a number of other airports. It's been on and off, so I suspect its more to do with the aircraft itself.. 

I haven't flown the tutorials, but I've been using flight sim since FS2000, followed by FS9 and FSX, so I'm quite used to flying ILS. But I should probably do that! I have however been able to get the glideslope before, as I mentioned, on the first post. And I've always done the same procedure =/

Lyonel Aguilar 

Lyonel Aguilar

Hi, Lyonel,

Just to add to Kyle's point, there are many discrepancies between the ILS frequencies in the very old FSX stock scenery and the current navigation data.  So one question would be, from where are you getting the ILS frequencies?  Using more recent data, you could still be tuning nearby runway ILS's, but not the runway you want -- KSEA for example, as I recall.  You can check the frequencies and availability of GS against the data in the scenery by using the FS map view.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi! alright, didnt know that. It was my first post! 

No worries. Just letting you know.

Its happened to me on a number of airports that have worked fully before with the default FSX 737. Last time this happened was at Frankfurt (EDDF). Its also happened in KLAX, KMIA, KDEN, KSLC, KORD, and a number of other airports. It's been on and off, so I suspect its more to do with the aircraft itself.. 

EDDF got a new runway. KMIA has had its runways changed since FSX was released. KDEN might have had a few things change (I can't remember if it was FS9 or FSX that brought in one of the new runways).

...and KORD runways change just about every week, so it's highly likely there.

I haven't flown the tutorials, but I've been using flight sim since FS2000, followed by FS9 and FSX, so I'm quite used to flying ILS. But I should probably do that! I have however been able to get the glideslope before, as I mentioned, on the first post. And I've always done the same procedure =/

Honestly, I've been flying in Flight Sim since FS5.1 and I still fly tutorials. Usually, when people don't get proper procedures from tutorials (or other material), things only work sometimes because their procedure varies flight to flight. It might not be obvious, but if you watch closely, there's usually something small missed that can cause issues.

Never rely on simple experience to carry you from plane to plane.

I just flew a Cessna 172M about an hour ago. I have about a decade of flying 172s (12 years this year, actually). I still took an instructor up today since it's been so long since I've flown the older models. Speaking of minor changes: the 172M has a flap setting all the way to 40 degrees (10 more than I'm used to, at max), it uses an up/down toggle instead of detents to get them into those positions, and it also uses carb heat (which, in the past several years of flying Rs, Ss, and SPs, I'd completely forgotten about). Didn't help that it was a crosswind of 50 degrees at 14G22, either.

So...in the aviation industry, always look at things with an eye that you should continue learning, instead of an all knowing one.

Kyle Rodgers

Is the G/S indication also missing on the ISFD? (the standby gauge)

I get the ground speed right under the airspeed on the ISFD, but I'm guessing you mean glideslope?

Hi, Lyonel,

Just to add to Kyle's point, there are many discrepancies between the ILS frequencies in the very old FSX stock scenery and the current navigation data.  So one question would be, from where are you getting the ILS frequencies?  Using more recent data, you could still be tuning nearby runway ILS's, but not the runway you want -- KSEA for example, as I recall.  You can check the frequencies and availability of GS against the data in the scenery by using the FS map view.

Mike

I was getting my frequencies from VAFS, but I've tried with the ones that I got from the map in FS and I get the same problem!

EDDF got a new runway. KMIA has had its runways changed since FSX was released. KDEN might have had a few things change (I can't remember if it was FS9 or FSX that brought in one of the new runways).

...and KORD runways change just about every week, so it's highly likely there.

Yeah, but should that matter if I tune the frequencies of the runways that are on FSX? I mean, if the runways havent changed on fsx, and the frequencies are the same on fsx, shouldnt it work to tune those frequencies and get the ILS working?

Honestly, I've been flying in Flight Sim since FS5.1 and I still fly tutorials. Usually, when people don't get proper procedures from tutorials (or other material), things only work sometimes because their procedure varies flight to flight. It might not be obvious, but if you watch closely, there's usually something small missed that can cause issues.

Never rely on simple experience to carry you from plane to plane.

I just flew a Cessna 172M about an hour ago. I have about a decade of flying 172s (12 years this year, actually). I still took an instructor up today since it's been so long since I've flown the older models. Speaking of minor changes: the 172M has a flap setting all the way to 40 degrees (10 more than I'm used to, at max), it uses an up/down toggle instead of detents to get them into those positions, and it also uses carb heat (which, in the past several years of flying Rs, Ss, and SPs, I'd completely forgotten about). Didn't help that it was a crosswind of 50 degrees at 14G22, either.

So...in the aviation industry, always look at things with an eye that you should continue learning, instead of an all knowing one.

Yeah you're right, I'm going to fly the tutorials!

BY THE WAY everybody, I noticed a pattern: when I'm flying away from the runway I get the glideslope working.. as soon as I start flying towards it the glideslope dissapears and leaves me only with the localizer! I thought it was just me picturing things before, but I took a test flight right now, and its always like that!

Lyonel Aguilar

Lyonel Aguilar

BY THE WAY everybody, I noticed a pattern: when I'm flying away from the runway I get the glideslope working.. as soon as I start flying towards it the glideslope dissapears and leaves me only with the localizer! I thought it was just me picturing things before, but I took a test flight right now, and its always like that!

I've had problems like that when two or more addon AFCADS (which can also be included in a larger scenery installation) were installed for the same airport.

Just to cover another possible issue, are you dialing in the approach course on the MCP? 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

You need to tune both Nav1 and Nav2 to the ILS. Plus have both FD's on.

For a full autoland you need both AP's (after capturing the glide slope)

I've had problems like that when two or more addon AFCADS (which can also be included in a larger scenery installation) were installed for the same airport.

Just to cover another possible issue, are you dialing in the approach course on the MCP? 

Mike

Hm, havent installed any scenery, have actually only installed AI, the PMDG aircraft, and VAFS (plus the programs that it requires. 

No, I havent dialed in the approach course on the MCP, but should that make a difference if I'm not using the autopilot? I fly manual from top of descent all the way to landing! (and only use altitude hold during the entire flight)

You need to tune both Nav1 and Nav2 to the ILS. Plus have both FD's on.

Even when landing manually? Cause I never use autoland =)

Lyonel

Lyonel Aguilar

No, I havent dialed in the approach course on the MCP, but should that make a difference if I'm not using the autopilot? I fly manual from top of descent all the way to landing! (and only use altitude hold during the entire flight)

Doesn't it bother you that the localizer indicator is not lining up with your actual approach course?

You shouldn't need both Nav 1 & Nav 2 tuned if you are doing a manual landing.  But since I've never experienced this missing GS, and AFAIK it is not a common problem, I think it would be best if you did the tutorials rather than all of us trying to figure out what might be wrong.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I get the ground speed right under the airspeed on the ISFD, but I'm guessing you mean glideslope?

(...)

Yep, G/S for glideslope.

Here are my observations in the NGX:

With an ILS frequency dialled in, I have a continued indication of the G/S on the ISFD, but not on the PFD. On the PFD the G/S indication only becomes active when I'm on an appropriate intercept angle for the LOC. (Not thoroughly tested, just my "feel" of the situation.)

I searched the intro doc, FCOMs and the FCTM for a reference to the extent of "G/S indication is supressed if ..." but could not find any.

So we're not talking about a NGX feature, but a quirk resulting from scenery, AFCADs, bgl's and the like???

Isn't there a setting within the PMDG 737 NGX FMC where you access the multiple PMDG settings... for glideslope and localizer?

I am pretty sure it's in tutorial one and maybe tutorial two as well.

Just blues skying...

Also, as more than several have said, there is a discrepancy in airport locations, and frequencies, and lack of DME.

We need to get LM to start and or SPONSOR the "Global Navigation Update Project" based upon either Aerosoft's or Navigraph's data...or both navigational information, to put this puppy to bed.

And we need to use common tools so we can use common code. And I am suggesting Scruffy Duck's ADE V1.65(?).

I would be happy to participate and help clear this inexcusable, total BS befuddlement over proper navigational locations and frequencies.

Regards to all,

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

We need to get LM to start and or SPONSOR the "Global Navigation Update Project" based upon either Aerosoft's or Navigraph's data...or both navigational information, to put this puppy to bed.

Go to the LM forum developer's section in the Feature Request posts add your idea.  I would rather all navaids be taken out of bgls completely and put into an xml file to make updates feasible without compiling dozens of individual bgl files. They are going to keep changing for decades until ground based navaids are obsolete.

Dan Downs KCRP

Doesn't it bother you that the localizer indicator is not lining up with your actual approach course?

You shouldn't need both Nav 1 & Nav 2 tuned if you are doing a manual landing.  But since I've never experienced this missing GS, and AFAIK it is not a common problem, I think it would be best if you did the tutorials rather than all of us trying to figure out what might be wrong

Doesn't seem to be a problem. I always get to the center of the runway anyways =) But yeah guys, thanks everyone for trying to help me out with this. I started going through the manuals and tutorials, will continue to do so when time permits it in the next couple of days. Will get back to you if I get around the problem!

Lyonel

Lyonel Aguilar