Sign in to follow this  
Gregdpw

Dx10 fixer or hd trees?

i was just about to purchase the dx10 fixer. And now I see that orbx has hd trees. I can only afford one item here. What would you guys do? I have been using dx9 for years now. I would really like to use light bloom and vc shadows. But the had trees look great and it says it will give ya a performance boost. Decisions decisions

DX10 Scenery Fixer, it's not even a hard choice, DX10 is now so far ahead of DX9 visually and performance wise.

Assuming you have a halfway decent graphics card DX10 will give you a performance boost as it allows the card to be better utilised. Also you'll have the benefits of DX10 wherever you look not just in external views of the ground.

My dx9 runs great right now with an i7 930 overclocked to 4.2. 12 gb of ram. And a Gtx 970. So if fsx runs fine now, dx10 with the fixer should be equal if not better performance. And I'll get the better effects. Thanks guys.

DX10 Scenery Fixer, it's not even a hard choice, DX10 is now so far ahead of DX9 visually and performance wise.

Absolutely agree.  Biggest bang for the buck...regarding FSX...ever!

DX10 Fixer. Easily one of the best purchases I've ever made for my sim. And I'm sorry I held out for so long.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I have never noticed any performance increase with dx10.

Only the annoying lack of tool tips unless you play in windowed mode.

So, is there really a performance boost of some sort or you just say that to justify your investment?

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I really just want my sim to look better overall. And it seems like the fixer would be the best bang for the buck for shadows and bloom

Yes, especially the in cockpit shadows are lovely.

It's just those claims about performance boosts that leave me puzzled. Especially since even the official page claims that what the Fixer does is exactly that, fix. Cockpit shadows and legacy sceneries/planes compability. No mention of performance boosts.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

DX10 visually over DX9 is quite a difference. VAS usage is much better as well. You just have to remember to run your fixer every time you install new stuff, as it processes it all for the new mode.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

It's just those claims about performance boosts that leave me puzzled. Especially since even the official page claims that what the Fixer does is exactly that, fix. Cockpit shadows and legacy sceneries/planes compability. No mention of performance boosts.

It would not be possible for Steve to guarantee performance boosts for the DX10 fixer because it depends entirely on the hardware used and the graphics settings used in FSX and the graphics drivers. It's not very difficult to find reports of people experiencing a 20%-50% gain in FPS from switching to DX10, though equally you can find reports of people noticing no difference. Worst case scenario there is no benefit in terms of FPS (though with the OP's hardware I find this unlikely) you still get markedly improved visuals and a much more rewarding sim experience throughout. 

FPS isn't the sole metric of "performance."

Do you mean that a higher FPS rate doesn't necessarily equate to a better visual experience or are you suggesting that there is another standard unit of measurement by which it is possible to quantify performance in FSX? I agree with the former but am unaware of the latter so would be grateful if you could elaborate.

fps above 30 and no fluctuation between them seems like a good standard of performance to me.