Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

FSX: Steam Edition New Open beta

Mine crashed when I tried to load a flight with my Real Air Duke (piston).  My Cessna 310 works, however.

Hi Jeff,

Can you please confirm whether this was loading a saved flight, or simply going to "free flight" and loading the Duke? Thanks.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Orbx objectflow does not update. Just getting "run once" dialogue box

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

It works just fine Rob, for some reason it crashed from free flight mode, but when I loaded another plane, and then switched to the Duke, everything was good.  Thanks for checking.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Offline Mode

• Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition can now be used in Steam’s Offline Mode. Multiplayer features can not be accessed whilst in this mode.

Multiplayer Fixes

• VoIP communication is now using the correct device identified in “Settings”.
  • During mission-based Multiplayer flights, if the host has activated the “Anti-Cheat” flag, users who have modified their aircraft are immediately disconnected without affecting other users. 
  • The Steam “Invite to Game” feature will now work by buffering the request until the user enters the Multiplayer menu.
  • Players are prompted to use the Steam Client to invite a user from the Multiplayer menu to become a friend on Steam.
  • On the Multiplayer Session and lobby screens, the text in the “Weather” section is now aligned correctly.

User Interface Updates

• If “Show Saved Flights” is enabled, the time stamps on the saved flight data will now show the correct time the flight was saved.
  • The HTML content in displayed in some windows (e.g. tutorials, mission help, etc) now uses Internet Explorer in IE9 compatibility mode, rather than IE8.
  • On the Multiplayer Session screen, the host's user name is now shown.
  • On the Multiplayer Session screen, “In Briefing Room” is now shown prior to the session starting .
  • The fallback mission image has been updated for FSX:SE. This is only displayed if a mission does not provide it's own image.
  • FSX: Steam Edition now displays the default news screen upon starting the game

Stability Updates 

• Potential causes of the terrain.dll crashes experienced by some users has been corrected. A theoretical deadlock where a game may hang for several minutes before either crashing or being terminated by Windows has been corrected. This is a potential cause of the terrain.dll crashes experienced by some users.
  • Some compatibility issues encountered by third party add-ons that use SimConnect have been resolved
  • Fixed crash in G3D.dll caused by certain add-ons 
  • Fixed crashes in UI.dll 
  • Kneeboards & Checklists now display correctly
  • The configuration file AFFINITYMASK value is now correctly calculated for all Core i3, i5 and i7 generation Intel CPUs.

Support for problem analysis

• We now include some additional debugging info that can be captured by the DebugView tool to help with Host Disconnection errors. If a player experiences the "Host has lost connection to the host" problem, they can download and install the DebugView tool, then start DebugView before running FSX:SE. If a "Host has lost connection" message is received the log output from DebugView can then be sent for analysis. 
  • Added support for Mini-Dumps. If you are now unfortunate enough to experience a game crash, the system will now attempt to save a mini-dump to disk. These mini-dumps are automatically uploaded to Steam and allow us to obtain debug information about the crash that has occurred. No private or user information is contained within a mini-dump. Using mini-dumps, we can understand what has gone wrong and this greatly speeds up our ability to provide fixes and improvements.

Updated changelog.

I wonder if anyone can help me out with my FSX-SE install.  I have tried to use the method suggested by Pete Dowson and have referenced my current install of FSX.  

I have FSX in my F:\Flight Simulator X folder and Steam in the F:\Steam folder.

Per Pete:

As long as your SCENERY.CFG is set with full pathnames so you can use it in both FSX and FSX-SE, and similarly for the SimObjects paths in the FS CFG file, and you simply copy over your Gauges, Sounds and Effect folders, and you copy over your EXE.xml and DLL,xml files (only setting Disabled TRUE for those not yet compatible -- which is not many!), then pretty much everything which worked in FSX is the same in FSX-SE. 

- So I have done the above as best I can and the sim runs (with exception of ORBX people flow).  Default aircraft are fine.

Problems:

Payware aircraft:

- PMDG - plane loads but black screens I assume due to some issue with the license.

- LEVELD - Error - Cannot build.

- Activesky Next - SP2 build 5575. "Waiting for Simulator"

- EZCA - Does not work although EZCA loads.  Upon closing down get the FSX Process not found, FSX_Handle=0.  Its version 1.17

- DX10 the fixer - not working but I think I need to download 2.7 and install into SE for that to work.

On a good note - Majestic Q400 works perfectly.

Any help appreciated.  thanks.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

The latest DX10 Fixer version is 2.8. To switch between FSX and FSX:SE you first uninstall the libraries, point the fixer to where FSX:SE is installed (change the FSX Path field), and then reinstall the libraries. So it takes a few mouse clicks to go back and forth between the FSX and FSX:SE versions.

Regarding some of your other problems, like with PMDG, make sure you have run all the legacy Simconnect versions.

Al

The latest DX10 Fixer version is 2.8. To switch between FSX and FSX:SE you first uninstall the libraries, point the fixer to where FSX:SE is installed (change the FSX Path field), and then reinstall the libraries. So it takes a few mouse clicks to go back and forth between the FSX and FSX:SE versions.

Al

Thanks, I actually just updated that.  I wonder why you can't have the libraries installed for both at the same time ?

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Im using FSX:SE (non beta) does the new beta version work in offline mode.

im geting 14 hour flights with pmdg 777

also i requires 16 Gb of space to download beta

Then And after a week it will turn back into a pumpkin until full release corrrect....

Payware aircraft:

- PMDG - plane loads but black screens I assume due to some issue with the license.

- LEVELD - Error - Cannot build.

Hi, Mark,

You didn't say which PMDG plane, but PMDG has released new installers for the NGX that are compatible with Steam, including dual installations.  It is not a license issue per se in that they consider Steam to be just another variant of FSX.  You need to download the full installers from your store account at PMDG, not just updates from their downloads page.  I don't think just copying everything over from regular FSX will work w/ these two planes, but there's no need to do so.  On other, older planes, I believe people have succeeded in getting them running but I don't have first-hand experience.

Regarding the Level-D, you may need to put the full path of the Level-D module in FSX:SE's DLL.XML, and to make sure the LVLD.dll module is in the FSX:SE modules folder (copy it from regular FSX).  Bear in mind that, in a dual install, FSX:SE names several folders and files differently from regular FSX, and the Level-D installer does not know about these folder names. 

Also be sure you have the latest version of FSUIPC installed -- Pete has been on top of Steam developments and probably holds some kind of record for keeping up with Steam's developments.

As Al said, be sure to run all three legacy simconnect installers, buried in the Steam SDK.

Please take a look at these threads:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458175-fsx-steam-and-level-d-installation/

http://www.leveldsim.com/forums/767-works-with-fsx-steam-edition_topic26003.html

Regarding Active Sky Next, v. 5575 is designed for use w/ both versions of FSX.  An uninstall of the previous version and then full install seems to work better for me than using the update file.

Mike

Im using FSX:SE (non beta) does the new beta version work in offline mode.

Hi, Mossyfly47,

New Beta FSX:SE does run off-line and does run the PMDG 777 & NGX fine.  This is a relief to me as their previous Beta broke the 777 (not sure about the NGX).  You are probably right that in a week it will turn into a pumpkin, although maybe if you can stay off-line you can avoid the roll-back. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Mike,

"Looked in exe.xml and found the ASN entry was after a dummy entry, I moved it up before the dummy entry, and w/ the same saved approach it stopped giving that message."

Where is the exe.xml file located?

Thanks

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

Where is the exe.xml file located?

Hi, Ahmet,

Same folder as dll.xml.  If you have both FSX & FSX:SE on the same computer, typically:

C:\Users\[Your Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

If you only have FSX:SE on your computer,

C:\Users\[Your Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

You probably want to back up the xml file before you edit it.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I can report that the Real Air Duke and the Milviz C-310 are working, but my Flight 1 King Air doesn't display a VC as is the situation every time DTG updates FSX.

Flight 1 mustang no VC either and they dont appear to keen to fix it in the forums either, very poor form

ZORAN

Hi, Mark,

You didn't say which PMDG plane, but PMDG has released new installers for the NGX that are compatible with Steam, including dual installations.  It is not a license issue per se in that they consider Steam to be just another variant of FSX.  You need to download the full installers from your store account at PMDG, not just updates from their downloads page.  I don't think just copying everything over from regular FSX will work w/ these two planes, but there's no need to do so.  On other, older planes, I believe people have succeeded in getting them running but I don't have first-hand experience.

Regarding the Level-D, you may need to put the full path of the Level-D module in FSX:SE's DLL.XML, and to make sure the LVLD.dll module is in the FSX:SE modules folder (copy it from regular FSX).  Bear in mind that, in a dual install, FSX:SE names several folders and files differently from regular FSX, and the Level-D installer does not know about these folder names. 

Also be sure you have the latest version of FSUIPC installed -- Pete has been on top of Steam developments and probably holds some kind of record for keeping up with Steam's developments.

As Al said, be sure to run all three legacy simconnect installers, buried in the Steam SDK.

Please take a look at these threads:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458175-fsx-steam-and-level-d-installation/

http://www.leveldsim.com/forums/767-works-with-fsx-steam-edition_topic26003.html

Regarding Active Sky Next, v. 5575 is designed for use w/ both versions of FSX.  An uninstall of the previous version and then full install seems to work better for me than using the update file.

Mike

Hi, Mossyfly47,

New Beta FSX:SE does run off-line and does run the PMDG 777 & NGX fine.  This is a relief to me as their previous Beta broke the 777 (not sure about the NGX).  You are probably right that in a week it will turn into a pumpkin, although maybe if you can stay off-line you can avoid the roll-back. 

Mike

Thanks, I will give it a try.  My plan was not to install the PMDG777 and NGX into FSX-SE but to just reference the install in my FSX location.  I will run the update because that will hopefully make it work with this reference setup.  As for ASN, I may need to copy over the folder from my FSX install to FSX-SE.

Mark W   CYYZ      

Mike,

Thanks. It looks like I didn't correctly installed Sb2. Now all working. :Party:

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"