Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How to "refresh" P3D back to a clean factory state?

Hi, I wanted to know what I can or need to do in order to make my current installation of P3D back to factory defaults. I wanted to do some troubleshooting to see why I'm getting strange frame rate issues.

Do I just delete the C:\programdata\user\appdata\roaming\lockheed martin\prepar3d v2\ folder and reload up the sim to let it recreate everything from scratch? Is this safe to do? Because I currently have orbx global, vector, ezdok, asn, rex, and many add-ons installed.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

How can you get to a "fresh" state if you keep your add-ons?  Uninstall P3d and reinstall for a complete refresh.

Or delete the prepar3d.cfg file and get somewhat back.

If you're chasing framerates - the ONLY way you'll be able to tell for sure is to uninstall ALL add-ons. Uninstall P3D. Delete the P3D folders.

reinstall - and THEN check frames - anything else and you're blowing smoke.

I guess you COULD make a copy of the entire P3D folders - then just uninstall P3D and delete the left over folders - reinstall to same location and do your testing. Once done, just copy the old P3D back over the new install to recover add-ons.

It could be easy or messy - depends.

EDIT: the link Jim provided is the way to go.

Have fun,

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Jim, thanks for that. I'll have a look at that. 

I'm upset that when uninstalling my previous version of p3d using the control panel > uninstall in Windows 7, it didn't delete those other mentioned folders. Sigh. I certainly don't want to reinstall p3d and all my add-ons all over again. That will take ages. :(

Hopefully I'll be able to delete those mentioned folders and let p3d recreate everything again without having to reinstall.

Can I just delete these 4 folders and let p3d recreate them all over again?

%userprofile%\Documents\Prepar3D v2 files

%Programdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

%appdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

%localappdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

It IS worth the hassle of totally uninstalling P3D (once you've uninstalled all your addons!) cleaning the drive then starting again. Takes hours but worth it in the end. 

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Can I just delete these 4 folders and let p3d recreate them all over again?

you can do what you want BUT if you want a "refreshed state" - that will not work.

The uninstaller can ONLY delete the files that it installed - not any 3rd party files that it doesn't know about.

the saying is - "You can't have your cake and eat it too!"

Decide which you want -

1) Vanilla refreshed P3D

_OR_

2) All add-ons intact

When you make that decision we might be able to help but you can not have both unless you backup and restore as I mentioned.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors