Sign in to follow this  
KriVa

LG Ultrawide monitors... A few questions

I am considering buying an LG Ultrawide monitor (34UC97 or 34UM95, most likely).

While I'd love to go for the curved (UC) version, I have to take into account some productivity work (Photography) as well, where the curved edge might hinder me in seeing straight lines, well, straight.

I'm also questioning whether or not to replace my GPU setup with a new card. At the moment, I'm running two GTX 580s in SLI, which is still a rather powerful setup for 1080p, but I'm wondering whether they'll be able to drive the new monitors. I'm considering swapping them out for a single GPU, most likely a GTX 970 (I'm aware of the 3.5GB issues, they wouldn't affect me too much) or a secondhand TITAN. If I do need to change my GPU setup, a 900$ investment (only the monitor) suddenly becomes a whole lot more expensive.

On the CPU side of things, I'm still fine in my opinion. While I'm running a rather old CPU (2600k), it's still chewing up everything I throw at it, and then some...

I'd like some honest opinions about these suggestions. I've let my hardware knowledge slack off in recent years, and getting up to speed again is proving to be rather tricky.

I have a 34UM95 - running 780ti SLI overclocked and there are some things that struggle quite a bit. Monitor is amazing - UltraWS is better than 4K in my opinion. I think you'd have to upgrade your cards though.

Good luck with the decision.

Ken

Thanks for the response, Ken!

I'm quite hesitant to upgrade my graphics card. I have my setup running pretty smoothly these days, especially FSX, so I'm rather picky about installing a new piece of hardware in there.

I'm afraid there won't be much else in terms of options, though. I have my eyes set on a TITAN Black for a rather good price (about 800 EUR), so that might be an option.

In any case, I'm glad you're so fond of the monitor, that gives me confidence about having made the right choice (though the decision between curved or flat is one I still have to make).

I have a 34UC97 and your thoughts are correct. To have the same performance in say P3D with the same AA quality you might need to bump your card, making an expensive monitor purchase even more expensive.

I run a GTX 760 OC and its not enough to have any kind of SGSS AA in P3D. Its a lot of pixels to sort out I guess.

The wide FOV etc is definitely the better option compared to cost / performance on a 3 screen fish eyed FSX setup imho.

--

Martyn Pearson

Thanks for the, very valued, opinion guys. They confirmed the thought I had.... Time so shell out, I guess.

I have a 34UM95 - running 780ti SLI overclocked and there are some things that struggle quite a bit. Monitor is amazing - UltraWS is better than 4K in my opinion. I think you'd have to upgrade your cards though.

Good luck with the decision.

Ken

Interested to hear why?  I have been going back and forth for ages on this.  I was looking at the same curved widescreen and eventually ordered this which will be here tomorrow.

LG Electronics IPS Digital Cinema 4K Monitor 31MU97-B 31.0-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor

• 4096x2160, 5ms
  • DFC 1,000,000:1(1000:1)
  • 2XHDMI, Display Port, 4XUSB 3.0
  • Height&Pivot adjustable
  • 10-bit color depth
  • Adobe RGB 99.5%

And here is the Ultrawide specs:

• 3440 x 1440 5ms
  • DCR 5,000,000:1(1000:1)
  • HDMI x 2, DisplayPort, USB 3.0 x 3, ThunderBolt x 2

I am coming from a Dell U3011 which currently does 2560x1600.  For me the UWS would have meant going to 3440x1440 (gain in width, loss in height) whereas the LG is 4096x2160 @60hz so I am gaining width and height.  Refresh rates are the same, so curious as to why you think an Ultra Widescreen would be better?

Thanks!!

-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I prefer the feel of it over 4k - 4k to me is just a bigger screen it doesn't have that epic panoramic feel, the field of view is awesome in 21:9. Also its a bit easier to drive the screen resolution and get decent performance. Even with Titan X GPU's you'll struggle to maintain 60fps in plenty of titles.

Yes you can tweak your 4k to feel panoramic fine, but my personal choice will always be ultrawide going forward. There are 4K 21:9 screens coming soon too!

Interested to hear why?  I have been going back and forth for ages on this.  I was looking at the same curved widescreen and eventually ordered this which will be here tomorrow.

LG Electronics IPS Digital Cinema 4K Monitor 31MU97-B 31.0-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor

• 4096x2160, 5ms
  • DFC 1,000,000:1(1000:1)
  • 2XHDMI, Display Port, 4XUSB 3.0
  • Height&Pivot adjustable
  • 10-bit color depth
  • Adobe RGB 99.5%

And here is the Ultrawide specs:

• 3440 x 1440 5ms
  • DCR 5,000,000:1(1000:1)
  • HDMI x 2, DisplayPort, USB 3.0 x 3, ThunderBolt x 2

I am coming from a Dell U3011 which currently does 2560x1600.  For me the UWS would have meant going to 3440x1440 (gain in width, loss in height) whereas the LG is 4096x2160 @60hz so I am gaining width and height.  Refresh rates are the same, so curious as to why you think an Ultra Widescreen would be better?

Thanks!!

-Paul

Im just wondering how you went with your GTX670 powering that beast of a monitor?

ZORAN

Im just wondering how you went with your GTX670 powering that beast of a monitor?

Haven't had a 670 in years!  670, 780, 970, 980 and now a TitanX lol

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg