Sign in to follow this  
Krazypilot13

737ngx windshear alert

Hi everyone

I now have the 737ngx SP1d  wich comes with the weather radar i been using Active sky Next  free trial version and my question is  now that  737 has WX radar does it alert us of windshear??  this morning i experience some windshear but no alerts ... i know the ASN comes with a windshear sound alert but so does the NGX how come the NGX is not alerting us??   

I had once a windsheer alert inside the 737. On final approach into UUEE. The alarm message was "Windsheer ahead. Go around" or quite similar.

Isn't that part of the preflight checklist, WXR TEST?  It's a non-transmitting test that can be performed on the ramp.  When in doubt RTFM

Dan Downs KCRP

Hahaha absolutely right, Dan! RTFM!

PWS active below 2300ft RA only. PWS alerts below 1200ft RA only.

read the manuals... Know what to expect.

Brian Nellis

Brian Nellis

Silly question:

In order to have a windshear allert (if there is any) do I have to press the WX button before final approach,or I can have the allert even if the WX button isn't press?

Thank you guys for replying and i hope i encounter Windshear  in order to see the effects en the ND and hear that alarm =)  lucky you 

There is no "windshear search" in ASN, but you can search for strong winds, preferably in mountainous areas. Another good search would be for thunderstorms, which create W/S and microbursts often.

One of the first places where I encountered W/S in FSX is SCEL (it knocked down my PMDG B744!). I've returned to that airport often and have experienced a high probability for W/S, even in good weather.

(And it's a magnificent natural testbed for the groundspeed mini function, but it would be more appropriate for me to mention that in an "Airbus forum". :P)

If live weather doesn't give you a W/S, try a couple of historic wx downloads. Chances are, you won't need many.

Another airport wich are many chance to abort landind do to windshear is LXGB, because here the hot air from continent from Spain and Marroc encounter the fresh air from the Atlantic ocean. The problem is that all the turbulence is created over the mountain and is pushed down over the runaway, which is sea level bellow. Take a look here:

Take a look here:

https://youtu.be/JKjudF68hxc

Wow, looks as if the PF for almost 2 seconds tries to escape the windshear with a nose down maneuver (chasing speed) which at 100 ft AGL normally would be a guarantee for a big hole in the ground...

(Nose down momentum this fast IMO cannot derive from the loss of elevator effectiveness due to shifted airflow.)

But anyway: for some nice ASN windshear experiences I can recommend the following scenarios...

European weather scenario for testing WXR and PWS:

Location, Date, Time: EDDG (Muenster/Osnabrueck), 2014-07-28, 18:15 UTC, early dusk (ASN historical weather!)

US weather scenario for testing WXR and PWS:

Location, Date, Time: KNPA (Pensacola, Florida), 2014-04-30, 11:10 UTC, early dawn (ASN historical weather!)

Just take a look at the ASN MAP for the windshear sector symbol and head into it!

But remember:

PWS active below 2300ft RA only. PWS alerts below 1200ft RA only.

And: like the TFC warning comes up automatically in "urgent emergencies" on the ND, the PWS also switches itself onto the ND in case of windshear prediction below 1200ft.

Always a good source of information:

For a test you can select a one time wind shear or microburst in the ASN tools/view debug window menu. If I remember right, it will place the shear/burst three miles or so ahead of you.

The effects are not for the faint of heart, so there will be no mistaking it when you get to it.  :o

thanx to all of you for the amazing answers!!  :P  will try those places and those settings thank you guys for taking the time to help me out 

Are there any settings in ASN that need to be set in a certain way to be able to get the wind shear alert in the NGX?

I know there are a couple of settings in ASN related to wind shear IIRC.

Richard Åsberg

I got a windshear  on both a few days ago in WMKK, ASN and 737NGX.

The ASN windshear alert is more "sensitive" . The 737NGX alert you only wen you are allmost in the windshear. I do not konw what is more real

I think i wil turn off the windshear alert in ASN, with one is enought.