Sign in to follow this  
addman

GTN 650 or 750?

So yeah, I'm not the most educated GPS expert out there but I recently read that A2A are going to make it possible to fit the new GTN's in their Piper Cherokee 180 and Cessna 172 with the next update. I was getting pretty tired of using the archaic default FSX GPS so I thought it might be time to get some real hardware for my favourite GA aircraft. Now, I know, after reading up on the subject, about the major differences between the 650 an 750. Screen size being the most obvious difference of course but the 750 is also superior to the 650 in almost every single way. My question is then, since I won't be paying for both of them and they're priced the same: is there ANY reason to get the 650 over the 750? I don't really need all the extra functions that the 750 offers. I use my GPS to get from A to B basically but getting all that extra screen space at the same price as the 650 seems like a no-brainer, why WOULD you buy the 650 over the 750 really? if it was cheaper sure!

Also, there seems to be quite a bit of extra work to set these things up, training software, buying DVD's etc. How does it work? Explain it to me as if I was a 4-year old (little Denzel Washington reference for you there) :)

Any feedback/advice is much appreciated.

Cheers!/Andreas

Hi Andreas,

I would only recommend the 650 over the 750 if available space on your panel is limited. Like you said, the larger screen and therefor ease of use makes it more appealing. Especially since there is no price difference.

Flight1 updated the package two day ago and now you have World wide terrain coverage. So there is no need to buy any DVD anymore. Since the program uses the actual Garmin training software (download link to trainer included in installation process) almost every option is available. It is very easy and logical in use, but if you want, the actual Garmin manual will provide all the information needed. There are also tons of instruction videos on YouTube.

The only "issue" is that the nav database is also linked to the Garmin trainer. Therefor, there is no option to use navigraph updates.

Cheers, Jeroen

IMHO you're going to want to purchase whatever integrates into the panel and the only one I know of that integrates the 650 is the Turbine Duke v2 (which integrates both). I suspect if A2A integrated the 650 into the Skyhawk as opposed to the 750 the uproar would be deafening so I highly doubt that would happen. You should probably check with A2A to be sure. The 650 doesn't have charts if you weren't aware of that and the ICAO key-in is a PITA compared to the 750. I have both and the 650 almost always just rides along. I wouldn't purchase the 650 if I had it to do over again but I admit it looks nice on the Duke panel right below the 750. :smile:

I'd recommend downloading the v5 trainer and playing with it outside the sim, you can compare the 650 to the 750 without spending a dime and when you decide which one you want you can just skip the trainer step in the installation process because you'll already have it installed.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5379

I went for the larger screen too. You can use the pop up if necessary. The Trainer software is free and downloadable as mentioned above. No buying DVD's necessary since it includes the whole world now, and the Product utilizes the trainer software.

Thanks for the useful feedback guys, I found the following thread over at A2A: http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46234

It's a preview of the upcoming accu-sim updates with integrated GTN support and it looks great! I doesn't say if the 172 or 182 will support a single GTN 650 setup, there is a screenshot showing the Cherokee having a single GTN 650 however. I'll have to ponder on this some more though, good news -at least for new customers- that worldwide terrain map coverage is now supplied with the package.

You'll love it.. I use the 750 in the Piper all the time as a pop up (would be very cool if they could integrate - I really want the 182 now because of this). but the interface is just so cool.. changing frequencies, squawk codes, a breeze.. Make up flight plans on the fly very quickly.. User Waypoints.. it really brings the sim to a new level. For me the Bigger Screen is a big plus.

You'll love it.. I use the 750 in the Piper all the time as a pop up (would be very cool if they could integrate - I really want the 182 now because of this). but the interface is just so cool.. changing frequencies, squawk codes, a breeze.. Make up flight plans on the fly very quickly.. User Waypoints.. it really brings the sim to a new level. For me the Bigger Screen is a big plus.

Sounds good to me! I actually have the 182 but to be honest, I still like the Cherokee best...sshhhh! don't tell lady Skylane.

P.S Have a look at that snug fitting 650 in the Cherokee. Looking forward to that accu-sim update.C180%20F1%20650.png

I love the Cherokee but it's so slowwwwww.. but still love it.. my co-worker has a Warrior II, which is kind of similiar.

GTN 750 without question

I saw a FB pic from a2a with a 750 in the cherokee so we should be able to expect that as an option

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'd recommend downloading the v5 trainer and playing with it outside the sim, you can compare the 650 to the 750 without spending a dime and when you decide which one you want you can just skip the trainer step in the installation process because you'll already have it installed.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5379

Jim I see this V5 is dated April 2014.

Is this really the latest?

gb.

A bit off topic but is anyone using an iPad to view these GTNs?

Just wondering what to use to get them across?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

That's it. The V5 trainer has been out for a while. F1 just released the updated gauge to work with it.

Tom

That's it. The V5 trainer has been out for a while. F1 just released the updated gauge to work with it.

Ok, thanks.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.