Sign in to follow this  
twharrell

Recording audio with Shadowplay?

I don't know if this is the best forum to post this question or not, but since I use P3D exclusively this is where I decided to ask.  I like to fly on Pilot Edge and sometimes I want to record segments of my flights to play back later.  I use a USB headset with microphone to communicate with PilotEdge ATC.  The issue I am having is Shadowplay will record the aircraft sounds and my voice but it will not record sounds I hear through the headset.  

In Windows 7, I have my headset enabled as the default audio device.  Inside P3D sound settings, there are 3 drop down menus to establish what sound goes where. I have voice reception and voice output set to my headset and I have the sim sounds set to my monitor speakers.  Within Shadowplay I have "Allow desktop capture" selected.  

I have also tried to record sounds using Audacity but it also records only my voice input.  All other headset audio is not captured.  Any technical help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Todd

Check out virtual cable

chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I'm using a  program called n-Track studio. I can record each input to a separate file and I just combine everything when I edit my video. Great thing about this is you can change the audio level of each audio track. It works great.

I'm using a program called n-Track studio. I can record each input to a separate file and I just combine everything when I edit my video. Great thing about this is you can change the audio level of each audio track. It works great.

Does it have a TBC, SYNC TRACK?

Chas

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Does it have a TBC, SYNC TRACK?

Chas

Whats a TBC? I usually just start recording the audio and the video at the same time with a keyboard shortcut to keep everything in sync

Time base corrector to provide as sync signal on recording tape...now…is a generic term for a device used for writing universal synching between various devices...and input sources

Chas

Sorry, guys, I lost track of this thread. I really appreciate the input.  I thought I'd give this a try (http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/). Anyone with experience using VB-Audio?  I'm not sure of the best way to set this up, though, and I have watched scores of youtube videos.  Any tips or if anyone can point me to a good tutorial, I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,

Todd

Within Shadowplay I have "Allow desktop capture" selected.

In ShadowPlay you need to enabled Microphone recording (which will also cover line-in which I'm guessing is where Pilot Edge ATC will use).

8d14b17199bec9fd41b31dfe316136b2.jpg

Ignore the Red Elipses (pic was for something else but covers the screen) ... what you want to check it the "Audio" button (next to Quality button).

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, thanks for your input. The way you have Shadowplay set up is exactly how I have mine set up. My issue is, when I want to record a video of my flight, Shadowplay will record in-game sounds and my voice but any ATC communication coming through the headsets is not captured.  I've also tried to record audio with Audacity and I get the same problem. For some reason, sounds coming through my headset are not captured and recorded.  It doesn't make sense (to me at least) that microphone sounds (my voice) are captured but sounds coming through the headset (ATC mostly) are not captured. I tried the virtual cable setup with Voicemeeter but was unable to get it working.  I didn't think this would be so difficult, but I assumed wrong! :wacko:   

Regards,

Todd

I should also add my setup specs, which is pretty basic:

All audio comes from the HDMI output from my GPU to my monitor. SO basically, my audio comes through my monitor speakers.  My headset is USB and is plugged into a USB port on the front of my computer case. I don't have a dedicated sound card or separate speakers.

Todd

Rob, thanks for your input. The way you have Shadowplay set up is exactly how I have mine set up. My issue is, when I want to record a video of my flight, Shadowplay will record in-game sounds and my voice but any ATC communication coming through the headsets is not captured.  I've also tried to record audio with Audacity and I get the same problem. For some reason, sounds coming through my headset are not captured and recorded.  It doesn't make sense (to me at least) that microphone sounds (my voice) are captured but sounds coming through the headset (ATC mostly) are not captured. I tried the virtual cable setup with Voicemeeter but was unable to get it working.  I didn't think this would be so difficult, but I assumed wrong! :wacko:   

Regards,

Todd

I should also add my setup specs, which is pretty basic:

All audio comes from the HDMI output from my GPU to my monitor. SO basically, my audio comes through my monitor speakers.  My headset is USB and is plugged into a USB port on the front of my computer case. I don't have a dedicated sound card or separate speakers.

Todd

Dude I already gave you a solution a few posts above. I'm doing the same exact thing as you. When I fly on vatsim I'm able to record all my streams separately including ATC coming into my headset,so when I edit my video in premiere I can change the audio levels individually. With  n-Track studio you dont need to use voicemeeter or vb audio. The program is shareware

Dude I already gave you a solution a few posts above. I'm doing the same exact thing as you. When I fly on vatsim I'm able to record all my streams separately including ATC coming into my headset,so when I edit my video in premiere I can change the audio levels individually. With n-Track studio you dont need to use voicemeeter or vb audio. The program is shareware

Indeed you did, and I completely overlooked your post. I'll give your solution a try. :)