Sign in to follow this  
Nobias

Help Consult on DIY Home Cockpit *Package*

Hi All

Its been a few years since I last flew FSX and am coming back with a vengence. What I have is a partially built Cockpit and no payware software (I used freeware before I put the game away). I recently ordered some I/O boards, Buttons, switches and bought ALOT of castaway Joysticks, LED displays, pedels, etc for parts, and acquired alot of free transparent plastic sheets and foamcore board from a local Walmart that was remodeling. All this for making panels and such to complete the Instrument bays and enclosure.

Here is my delima, I've been away for so long I do not know which software is considered the best anymore and especially ones that will be useable to interface with a Live Instrumented and Hardware controlled cockpit. I'm familiar with the need for software (especially FSIOPC) for the Interface cards to connect the hardware to the computer and so on. So no need to make suggestions on HOW to connect Hardware to the Software. (Yet, lol)

What I would like to get comments on from everyone here is "which software" is best suited for this type of flying. What I mean is - the plane i fly - must have undockable 2d panels for me to use them in seperate displays and be sufficiantly detailed in its software controlled systems to allow control of as many aspects of the plane (the more the merrier)  with the hardware switches and buttons from the real cockpit.

I'm partial to the 747, but depending on which plane allows me to use the most displays and switches from the cockpit -- is the plane I may end up buying. I need to know this before I do the actuall panel constructions or course - so the cockpit fits the plane. And this does not have to be a single product. By that I mean If you know of a plane that will alone not allow the most external control but that with certain addons (guages, utilities, etc) to that plane that would achieve the maximum control possibilities that would work just as well too (if you yourself know that they both play well with each other that is).

The only other things I would like on my eventual choice would be:

Ability to display realistic weather radar that interfaces with both default and addon weather software..

Full featured TACAS system.

Ability to open doors and such for ground services.

Configurable failure modes.

the most automated takeoff/landing modes available are a plus.

Those are all really wanted - but only a lack of a fully functional FMC is a real deal breaker. From my research so far it seems like PMDG and a couple others are till the only game in town. but feel free to tell me your experiences with these too - if you have interfaced them to real world controls in a DIY cockpit. I also realize there ae a couple new Simulation software makers out there as well (Prepared3D and XPlane for instance) I might be willing to switch to one of those but ONLY if they allow more connectivity to the airplane than FSX/FSIOPC do.

So can anyone help me figure out which plane - that is out on the market now - that has the best capability to fully interfcae with a home cockpit? With and/or without addon software. ... It s not just the ability to do so I'm asking about but the quantity of controls they offer for external access as well as ability to display in seperate LED panels. And secondly any addons or utilities that work well for home cockpits and/or enhance the planes' abilities to interface as well?

So anyone with Homecockpits out there that can help have at it.

Thanks

Phil

Hey Phil,

maybe the 747 from aerowinx would be a suitable match for you. systemwise you won't find anything better. you can have seperate 2d panels running on different or the same pc. regarding the switches and hardwareinterfacing i have no idea. i am using the aoerwinx 747 with a arcaze card and some switches.

look at their really friendly forum and ask there for help.

http://aerowinx.com/index.html

and have a look at a review http://mutleyshangar.com/reviews/bc/psx/psx.htm

Cheers!

Edit: Just looked at the aerowinx plugin list and found this: maybe this is helpfull for you http://www.lekseecon.nl/psxseecon.html

Kind regards
John 

Thanks raex-flight

that's an an awesome system. So good in fact that I was wondering why I haven't seen it in any comparative reviews yet. Especially since it has been out for a while apparently.

At first; as I read it, I was thinking it was a standalone simulator for just one type of plane. But as I read on I realized that when all is said and done what it is just  a plane addon with a few other addons built in? and that it wont work without FSX or P3D, etc.? (using FSX as the scenery generator according to forum) and while it has a ton of features and is designed for real world cockpit interfacing - it would be right up there as one of my first choices, hands down. Unfortunately I think the ~$500 price tag is too high for my tastes. (hope I read that wrong).

I'm building the cockpit from scratch not just for the experience - which to be honest is just as fun as flying  - but because i need to keep the cost down since i can't afford to buy high priced hardware and then the software to fly it.. All the money I save on cockpit is going to software. Which is one reason i'm looking here for advice so i don't buy the wrong software to start out with.

Hey,

i am too puzzled why the psx sim is not really well know. the pricetag is very, very steep. but you can cut the cost somewhere else with it: instead of having multiple pc running multiple instances of p3d or fsx for everything, psx is very performance friendly so you can use old outdated pc not costing much. it even runs on my 8 year old laptop.

Psx has its own weather, atc and huge failure system, so no need for any more costly addons.

Psx is ONLY for the 747 and a standalone sim. you CAN enhance the outside view using fsx, p3d or xplane (which i use).

Good luck choosing the right software  & enjoy bulding! 

Kind regards
John 

Hi All

Its been a few years since I last flew FSX and am coming back with a vengence. What I have is a partially built Cockpit and no payware software (I used freeware before I put the game away). I recently ordered some I/O boards, Buttons, switches and bought ALOT of castaway Joysticks, LED displays, pedels, etc for parts, and acquired alot of free transparent plastic sheets and foamcore board from a local Walmart that was remodeling. All this for making panels and such to complete the Instrument bays and enclosure.

Here is my delima, I've been away for so long I do not know which software is considered the best anymore and especially ones that will be useable to interface with a Live Instrumented and Hardware controlled cockpit. I'm familiar with the need for software (especially FSIOPC) for the Interface cards to connect the hardware to the computer and so on. So no need to make suggestions on HOW to connect Hardware to the Software. (Yet, lol)

What I would like to get comments on from everyone here is "which software" is best suited for this type of flying. What I mean is - the plane i fly - must have undockable 2d panels for me to use them in seperate displays and be sufficiantly detailed in its software controlled systems to allow control of as many aspects of the plane (the more the merrier)  with the hardware switches and buttons from the real cockpit.

I'm partial to the 747, but depending on which plane allows me to use the most displays and switches from the cockpit -- is the plane I may end up buying. I need to know this before I do the actuall panel constructions or course - so the cockpit fits the plane. And this does not have to be a single product. By that I mean If you know of a plane that will alone not allow the most external control but that with certain addons (guages, utilities, etc) to that plane that would achieve the maximum control possibilities that would work just as well too (if you yourself know that they both play well with each other that is).

The only other things I would like on my eventual choice would be:

Ability to display realistic weather radar that interfaces with both default and addon weather software..

Full featured TACAS system.

Ability to open doors and such for ground services.

Configurable failure modes.

the most automated takeoff/landing modes available are a plus.

Those are all really wanted - but only a lack of a fully functional FMC is a real deal breaker. From my research so far it seems like PMDG and a couple others are till the only game in town. but feel free to tell me your experiences with these too - if you have interfaced them to real world controls in a DIY cockpit. I also realize there ae a couple new Simulation software makers out there as well (Prepared3D and XPlane for instance) I might be willing to switch to one of those but ONLY if they allow more connectivity to the airplane than FSX/FSIOPC do.

So can anyone help me figure out which plane - that is out on the market now - that has the best capability to fully interfcae with a home cockpit? With and/or without addon software. ... It s not just the ability to do so I'm asking about but the quantity of controls they offer for external access as well as ability to display in seperate LED panels. And secondly any addons or utilities that work well for home cockpits and/or enhance the planes' abilities to interface as well?

So anyone with Homecockpits out there that can help have at it.

Thanks

Phil

Try Jeehell FMGS, its free and fantastic :)

http://flightsystem.wix.com/airbus

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering