Sign in to follow this  
Gregdpw

Anyone like mega scenery earth cities?

Brian, thanks for your summary, as this is probably the most accurate review I've read regarding photoreal scenery.  I hope it gets pinned in this forum so it's not missed by others.

You are welcome.    I fly with both landclass and photoreal and all the airports are designed are photoreal based.    It has it's down sides but I am just a huge fan of having the 'REAL' world under me when I am flying around.   For high-flying tube fliers there is no better product than a good high definition photoreal texture map.    For my night flying I just switch back to FTX Global or if 'Winter is Coming' I'll also turn off Photoreal and turn on FTX Global.    I am perfectly fine with switching back and forth as needed.     When I build up my 3D Night lighting collection for the United States I'll start flying Photoreal full time Day and Night for all my tube liner needs.   For GA flying I still stick with FTX Global and a good vector package like FTX Vector.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I like the Ultra res cities..

Not bought a state for a while...I stick with the city and get a good airport to boot and it's wonderfull...

I am thinking of trying Pilot Edge so also on my mind is Los Angeles and San Diego city pack as I bet it really enhaces flying the coastal and mini routes for vfr over KLAX.

Dave

I like the Ultra res cities..

Not bought a state for a while...I stick with the city and get a good airport to boot and it's wonderfull...

I am thinking of trying Pilot Edge so also on my mind is Los Angeles and San Diego city pack as I bet it really enhaces flying the coastal and mini routes for vfr over KLAX.

Dave

Me to Im going pilot edge and just looking at the training vids. MSE SO CAL is by far their best scenery however its expensive but when coupled with LA and San Diego and LA cities by Aerosoft I think,  its a truly wonderful sim experience, very immersive

ZORAN

Can anyone shed some light on the impact of hi-res cities on top of MSE states?  I have the state of Florida, and if I were to buy Miami and Tampa hi-res cities, would that impact VAS more than just Florida on it's own?  Does FSX read that as three different photo-real sceneries or just one being what is visible?  

Can anyone shed some light on the impact of hi-res cities on top of MSE states?  I have the state of Florida, and if I were to buy Miami and Tampa hi-res cities, would that impact VAS more than just Florida on it's own?  Does FSX read that as three different photo-real sceneries or just one being what is visible?  

You will see a slight rise in VAS usage because the ENTIRE state is loading into memory and then the Ultra RES City is loading on top of it.   URC is not 'replacing' the area on the state level product, it is laying on top of it.

Tip:  If you have FTX Global or other big landclass product loaded.. SHUT IT OFF.  You don't need it running when you are flying over an area covered in photoreal.  You are wasting VAS.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

You will see a slight rise in VAS usage because the ENTIRE state is loading into memory and then the Ultra RES City is loading on top of it.   URC is not 'replacing' the area on the state level product, it is laying on top of it.

Okay, thanks again, Brian.

As Brian says the photosceneries' VAS footprints add up - but according to your post only three PS products would be active in total. Three PS sceneries add up to a rather small VAS usage, so there will be no problem there. If I were flying in that area, I would disable the rest of my photoscenery - basically all the other MSE products - and my VAS should be alright then.

Kurt,

If you visit PC Aviator Australia forums you will find asticky thread.

This has a database of what scenery files to disable if you own a state and a high res city in that state.

The files are disabled in the state so that should stop them loading.

On a side note I have now picked them all up except New York (still waiting for Drezwiecki desing to make it Prepr3D friendly) in the PC Aviator Australia sale.

Each city was between £3.50 and £5.00 which is a massive bargain.

Dave

This has a database of what scenery files to disable if you own a state and a high res city in that state.

Most excellent!  Thanks for the pointer Dave.

Scott

Kurt,

If you visit PC Aviator Australia forums you will find asticky thread.

The files are disabled in the state so that should stop them loading.

On a side note I have now picked them all up except New York (still waiting for Drezwiecki desing to make it Prepr3D friendly) in the PC Aviator Australia sale.

Each city was between £3.50 and £5.00 which is a massive bargain.

Dave

Dave, thanks for your input.  I would like to review that sticky thread you speak of, but pcaviatorforums.com is a dead site.  Is there another link I could try?

Dave, thanks for your input. I would like to review that sticky thread you speak of, but pcaviatorforums.com is a dead site. Is there another link I could try?

Curt, it must be something at your end - it came up fine for me yesterday and still does today.  BTW, while many of the early releases are covered, many of the later ones are not.  I was hoping to find info for Denver but it's not there.

Scott

Anyone know if Aerosofts mega cities work well with Megascenery cities and Prepar3D ?

Dave

Scott...

If you look at all the other entries it appears there is a pattern and is the same tiles for all...

Dave

If you look at all the other entries it appears there is a pattern and is the same tiles for all...

Hmm... Not seeing that, I'm afraid.  While there's a bit of a pattern (e.g. tiles 1-A, 2-A, 3-A, 1-B, 2-B, 3-B... should be disabled in one area) the numbers and sub-numbers are by no means consistent from one state to the next  Still, I appreciate the pointers should I ever add other cities besides Denver.

Scott

Been flying around MSE Denver for a few days now. It looks great as your approaching flightbeam kden. The Denver scenery is plenty large enough. You can totally see the boarders from MSE and orbx global. Set LOD to 7.5 and it looked awesome. But then had a ctd. Went to 5.5 and it looked okay. So maybe 6.5. One complaint is that you can see big long sections where they photographed the city in a different season. And the occasional black textures around the city. But for 8 dollars I guess it ain't a bad deal.

Hmm... Not seeing that, I'm afraid.  While there's a bit of a pattern (e.g. tiles 1-A, 2-A, 3-A, 1-B, 2-B, 3-B... should be disabled in one area) the numbers and sub-numbers are by no means consistent from one state to the next  Still, I appreciate the pointers should I ever add other cities besides Denver.

Scott

If you have the SDK installed you can figure out what files to exclude. The letters and numbers at the end of the bgl file names are defining the grid of the texture tiles in each particular scenery. Letters from North To South, Numbers from West to East. 

Ultra Res cities are normally square shaped, so you first open the 4 corners with the tmf viewer in the SDK. They will be first letter with lowest number, first letter with highest number, last letter with lowest number and last letter with highest number.

You now need to locate the bgls in the original state scenery that lie within these corners. The state will have its own separate grid of tiles that once again has lowest letter, lowest number in the states NW corner and its highest letter, highest number in the states SE corner. With a bit of trial and error and by knowing roughly where in the state the ultra res city lies you can with the help of tmf viewer locate the four corners in the state bgl files and then exclude these.

I've successfully located the files that can be excluded in my collection of Ultra Res Cities that aren't included in the pcaviator forum list. I've registered on the PC aviator forum to share the information but haven't been granted posting or PM rights. I've also reached out to Dean on Email and offered the cities I've figured out but haven't heard a thing. 

Unfortunately I don't own Denver as I've never been. (I only have the states and Cities I've visited.=)