Sign in to follow this  
gpbarth

Removing Default Aircraft from FSX

Did a cursory search with no results, so forgive me if this has been discussed previously. BUT - I have finally set up FSX (and now SE) with all of the aircraft that I really like to fly. I'm sure others will come along, but for now, my personal livery consists of the A2A C-172, P-51 (mil and civvie), Cub, and B377, the Alabeo Tomahawk, Carenado Grand Caravan EX, RealAir Turbine Duke, Coolsky MD-80 and the Leonardo Mad Dog, and the PMDG 737NGX and 777.  Although I keep the Trike as default load (for FS2Crew), I have little use  for any of the aircraft that were installed with the sim. And there are a LOT of them! Gliders, bi-planes, tube liners, Cessnas and Mooneys... Once you have flown the realistic, hi-res, V/C stuff, the "old" FSX aircraft just lose their appeal.

So my question here is, what is the proper way to remove a default aircraft from FSX?  I can't remember if there is a "Remove" feature in FSX, but all of the custom planes have an uninstall feature, so there has to be a proper way to take the legacy planes out of the sim. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I created a folder in Simobjects\Airplanes called "Unused Aircraft" and moved all  them there. They are no longer found, but still at hand if you need a sound file, etc.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I just moved all of them into a new folder outside FSX, and hopefully that will remove them from my choice screen next time I open FSX.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I just moved all of them into a new folder outside FSX, and hopefully that will remove them from my choice screen next time I open FSX

One day you will buy an addon aircraft that references one of the default gauges and will wonder why it does not work correctly. Many third party aircraft also only initialise correctly if loaded after FSX has initialised fully with a default aircraft, without this step a lot of variables are not initialised correctly.

Simstarter (freeware) http://aviation.pero-online.de/wordpress/?page_id=105 has a handy livery manager that will hide the default liveries from the aircraft selection screen for you.

simstarter.jpg

Don't do it.

Besides referencing default aircraft/gauges also the default aircraft folder structure is sometimes referenced.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Dave, would that same logic apply to P3D, not to touch them. I was going to delet all the default aircraft *except the opening one* and just have my payware.

Always use a folder called "Unwanted" in the Airplanes and Rotorcraft directories. As already mentioned, above, there are many references to default planes and helos. All the rubbish addons etc go there whether freeware or payware - and there are a lot of them, too - mainly due to the simple idiosyncratic panels.

Sauviat

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

lways use a folder called "Unwanted" in the Airplanes and Rotorcraft directories.

Thank you Martin, I'm going to do that.

Leave the planes alone. Don't delete them, don't move them, don't create new folders for them. You are not gaining anything and you are potentially causing yourself trouble down the road. If you don't want to see them, post #2 covered that.

Agree 100% on the "Don't remove them" scenario.  For all other aircraft that I like but don't fly

often, I have a "Hangar" folder inside of FSX.  Another reason is default aircraft are used as

AI, unless you have a 3rd party program covering that.  I use WOAI with the original FS9

flightplans.  Still, on rare occasions, a default will pop in if WOAI doesn't have a plane for

that plan.  A second good reason not to delete or move is that the default are used as

AI in most of the Missions.  No AI=Missions don't run.

Now that being said,  I did move the sailplanes and the air racers out to the Hangar.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Leave the planes alone. Don't delete them, don't move them, don't create new folders for them. You are not gaining anything and you are potentially causing yourself trouble down the road. If you don't want to see them, post #2 covered that.

So Jim, what are you trying to say  :huh:            I understand,  and thank you  :rolleyes:

I created a folder in Simobjects\Airplanes called "Unused Aircraft" and moved all  them there. They are no longer found, but still at hand if you need a sound file, etc.

Ok thank you, this worked for me,  very happy with myself   :rolleyes:   

I'm a little confused about post #2...which appears to be the safer way to go from what I've found.  You say to rename the folder in the "aircraft.cfg".  I don't find a folder in "aircraft.cfg".  Can you clarify for me please.  Thanks.

Garry Lundberg

Don't move them or delete them. There is a way to make them not show without removing them. I cant remember but it is in the Aircraft cfg file for each aircraft. If I can remember the tweak I will post the proses in another post.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /