Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

P3D v2.4--Tired of waiting for ORBX OpenLC North America....

OK, I'm running FTX Global, Vector, Pacific Northwest, Northern Rockies, Central Rockies and a number of Orbx regional airports. I don't want to lose that.

How do I fit UTX Canada v1 and UTX USA/Europe v2 with my current setup? Any help appreciated.

Hey Mitch, don't want to be a jerk, but if that's Lake Erie, wouldn't that be Buffalo NY? Now if you were really a standup guy, you would have stopped off and got me some of the world's best chicken wings :)

OK, I'm running FTX Global, Vector, Pacific Northwest, Northern Rockies, Central Rockies and a number of Orbx regional airports. I don't want to lose that.

How do I fit UTX Canada v1 and UTX USA/Europe v2 with my current setup? Any help appreciated.

You don't lose anything...you only turn off (uncheck) the four VECTOR entries. That's IT! :) Also, I figured out the best place for all the UTX blah, blah entires...BELOW the four (4) VECTOR entries in the Scenery Lib. What you see, is the effect of that placement. Oh..forgot to add...you do NOT need to uninstall Vector, for any reason. Just uncheck the four Scenery Lib entries for that product...and FSX:MS/SE or P3D v2.4/3/2 will not 'see it'.

What are you running it in?  P3D v2.4/3/2 or FSX.x? To load UTX Canada into P3D v2.4 or later, you need the EMT tool.  Does a snap job...as Canada is looking really good over there....

Here's another shot of my buddies' place just east of the golf course at the island's tip.  He has a great view...and Grand Island is a great place to visit, in real life.

gi1.png

What are you running it in?  P3D v2.4 or FSX.x? To load UTX Canada into P3D v2.4 or later, you need the EMT tool.  Does a snap job...as Canada is looking really good over there....

Mitch,

Yes, when the Great Lakes ships come out, this will be awesome!

I am using P3D 2.5. I built my own fake FSX setup. I have EMT, but it has side effects in 2.5 for me. It screws up the timing for EZDok. No knock against the product. We owe Paavo a debt of gratitude. Does UTX need to see anything other than terrain.cfg in the root folder of fake FSX? A lot of the configuration files got moved out of the root folder in 2.5.

Just to prove I can be anal, do I disable Vector world-wide, or just North America and Europe?

Finally,what about the Vector entry near the bottom of scenery.cfg?

Thanks again.

Hey Mitch, don't want to be a jerk, but if that's Lake Erie, wouldn't that be Buffalo NY?

-------------------

I don't know what's the matter with me today...having two 'senior moments'. LOL   Yes...that IS Buffalo...at the river mouth...and I'm HEADING over to Niagara Falls....hey...don't get grey hairs...it sucks.  Yeah..we have the famous Buffalo Broasted Chicken in the water-front area...with cheap beers....when we visit our friends.

Oh..you're not the jerk...I'M the jerk for being uh..too relaxed today...the mind not in gear...LOL.  Thanks for the correction.  I'd have people scratching their heads for sure, lol.

Ses

I am using P3D 2.5.

----------------------------------

Graham, I have absolutely no experience with v2.5. You'd probably want to ask the way and wherefore, in the P3D forum...from those running with it. Sorry...

hey...don't get grey hairs

Well looking in the mirror, it appears that my hair (at least where it still grows) is grey, leaning to white.

Yes, when the Great Lakes ships come out, this will be awesome!

Actually...I believe that Henrik stated that doing the Welland Canal would be a large P.I.T.A. for him...so, here's hoping he will change his mind...and create the custom route through the Canal....

Well looking in the mirror, it appears that my hair (at least where it still grows) is grey, leaning to white.

"Hey...(Mitch hands Graham a beer), here's a cold one...for my thread bloopers of calling UTX Canada as v2.1...and really ticking off those from Buffalo....calling their hometown...Niagara Falls.....

yes...this needs a beer....(heading for the fridge....), to make me feel better...

Mitch

Awesome shots...and what a difference!

I lost my patience, lol.   I had UTX Canada...so thought to load it in. Glad that I did. What a world of difference it makes when you have plain old generic Global being directed to what textures to display, and their combination. Global can be so kick-butt with custom land-class in action. This sure proves it. So, I have OpenLC Europe for that part of the world,, and now UTX USA v2.1 and UTX Canada  to make up for those countries. Global looks fantastic now.

Very nice shots, speaking of which, when will OrbX Open LC for North America come out? I recall seeing a time map and it seems long overdue. 

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Very nice shots, speaking of which, when will OrbX Open LC for North America come out? I recall seeing a time map and it seems long overdue. 

They don't actually say, other than they are working on problems that had arisen.  

yes...this needs a beer....(heading for the fridge....), to make me feel better...

Quit beating yourself up. You just pointed out that UTX Canada is viable in P3D v2. Seeing the Welland Canal running from Port Dalhousie to Fort Erie was great.

Now if you could post a snap of the Lake Ontario end facing the Skyway, that will clinch it. I want to see if there is a canyon like Orbx, when the canal should be climbing the Escarpment.

Props to Orbx for the great stuff they do. But the Niagara Region in Vector, to put it charitably, is a mess.

Awesome shots.

nebojsa

----------------------------------------------------------
Just to prove I can be anal, do I disable Vector world-wide, or just North America and Europe?

Finally,what about the Vector entry near the bottom of scenery.cfg?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's sorta easy...if you are going to fly in a region that is not covered by your UTX products, then you pass off the chore to Vector, by re-checking the vectors elements, and un-checking all the UTX elements...then as soon as you press OK...P3D/FSX will re-parse all the elements of the library and will load in Vector over UTX...or in reverse due to your check-uncheck of elements before pressing the OK button...that of UTX given the control, at the next scenery lib parse.

It works...but the only pain of this...is that every time you reload in your library, all your plane and ship A.I. also doubles up...and VAS goes 'south'.  The one way to avoid this...is to set your values to where next you want to fly...then end your flight simulator session...and re-start.  Then..set up your flight to that region..Europe for instance (as I already have OpenLC Europe installed being driven by Vector) and your VAS will be as minimal as it can...no doubling up of A.I. flights or ships...etc...

Have fun!

Mitch

Awesome shots.

nebojsa

Thanks JAT!

Now if you could post a snap of the Lake Ontario end facing the Skyway, that will clinch it. I want to see if there is a canyon like Orbx, when the canal should be climbing the Escarpment.

----------------------------------------

Ok...just got my first cup of coffee..and will set up that shot and post via EDIT to this thread.  I figured out why I had those two senior-gaffs last night...tired...(should have quit ...but was having too much fun exploring a better looking P3D Canada) and the LACK of my coffee-transfusion. That has been corrected today...so Buffalo is still Buffalo...and Niagara Falls can stay where it is...LOLOLOL.  Gawd..you have to laugh at yourself first...for Life can be quite amusing, if you roll with the gaffs...and lose all the got-to-prove-something attitude of our youth!  Graham, I got rid of that quite early in my early 30's...and life has been great, since.  I get up...brush my teeth...see a smile coming back from the mirror...and then get on with my day... :BigGrin:...gaffs and all...LOL.

Graham, here is the Lake Ontario entrance to the Welland Canal.  There is no Escarpment  incursion from the Ontario, or Erie side. If Hendrik (no pressure, lol) wanted to set a route through the Canal, well..he could..the ship would sail flat across...your imagination would only have to fill in the water level changes from the Locks...lol.

ont2.png

ont1.png

.your imagination would only have to fill in the water level changes from the Locks...lol.

Thanks for that. At least it doesn't disappear underground and reappear looking like some intermittant stream. Just wondering though. If that's the case, how did they do Niagara Falls? Or did they?

You're right. Laughing at one's self is theraputic. It's just I have so many opportunities to do so, I have to occasionally step back to avoid pulling abdominal muscles.

Niagara Falls looks great....the river well formed with the forks caused by the island.  If you look at my two shots showing the Lake Ontario entrance, You can clearly see the Niagara River mouth (Ontario side), (where the fort is situated)..and it has true form right though the Gorge, and onto the Falls. Orbx Global is a great product...but seriously  needs to be driven/directed with a well-developed Land Class product.

Are you saying that UTX Canada for FSX provides vegetative landclass? 

As far as I know, UTX Canada only includes urban landclass and of course all the vector data.

I'm tempted to get the new UTX USA 2.0 product as it does include vegetative landclass, but I hate to spend the money for that and then a couple months from now openLC North America finally comes out and of course I'll have to get it.

I'm a little frustrated that ORBX isn't more forthcoming about their progress vis a vis openLC North America.  I'm aware that they have a strict policy about not giving out release dates and not answering related questions, but they should consider making a small exception here.  ORBX began work on openLC North America last summer so almost a year has passed and not a peep from them about what progress they've made and still not one screenshot.

There was one recent post stating that they've run into technical difficulties with landclass data and that this has set the project back, but nothing yet about whether that has been resolved or not.

I've no doubt that openLC North America will be revolutionary just like openLC Europe because ORBX makes custom textures for multiple sections of each openLC area thus providing more realistic scenery. Nothing on this scale has been done for FSX yet as far as I'm aware.

Hopefully ORBX will give us some sneak peeks soon.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS