Sign in to follow this  
gpbarth

Track IR - With or Without the LEDs

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere (is this the right forum?), but I'm getting ready to finally get the TrackIR, and want to find out if buying the headset is a necessity. Right now, it's looking like $190 USD for the set, but $150 for just the sensor.

Opinions?

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

You're referring to the TrackClip Pro right? if so, get it. It gives the best tracking over just the reflective 3 point thing that clips onto a cap.

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Yep! That's what I was referring to. Although I figured it was better, I'm on a tight budget, and $40 more is a lot of money. I guess I'll bite the bullet and spend the extra cash.

-= Gary Barth =-

You could probably get away with buying the trackclip pro later if you're on a budget.

Just remember that the TC Pro tracks better, filters out ambient light better and lets the sensor itself run cooler (the sensor runs passively with the trackclip pro, without it, it's active and has internal LEDs buzzing away constantly!) the heat probably shouldn't cause a problem but it might over a period of time.

Neil Andrews.

There is obviously a major advantage to buying the TrackClip, so I shall spend the extra bucks and get it. I think this will be the last major purchase for FSX for me for awhile, and it looks like NaturalPoint has a slight discount right now when both are purchased together. Thanks for the info, guys. I always like to make informed decisions.

-= Gary Barth =-

I prefer the Trackclip pro also. You'll find the leds get less interference from outside light sources.

NAX669.png

I've used TrackIR for a number of years, but with the passive cap reflectors. I have had very few issues with the system (mostly software related), but as I have never used it, must defer to the other posters when they suggest the active system is superior.

Do bear in mind that the active system requires a headset to mount and a USB port for power. I believe you can rig up a battery pack to power the LEDs. But I dont know anyway around the headset. I am not instructing you. Just a couple of things to consider.

The Pro Clip has a rep for breaking pretty easy. Mine did - but it took 4+ years before it broke for good. 2 for plastic 4 for wires.

I did have it taped and twist tied on before the final break - which was the super skinny wire broke inside the attachment coupling. Try as I might I could not splice it back in.

I immediately ordered a new pro clip. But in the interim used the reflective hat clip.

I have now had the pro clip for a couple of months and not used it - sticking to the reflectors. Mainly due to the PIA wires going up the head phones and the very fragile clip plastic. (hint use a headphone stand when not wearing headphones and treat the proclip with kid gloves)

Since I only get time to fly at night the reflectors work pretty good. Recently -during the day- I tried TrackIR with only the reflectors and with my office facing the water, large windows, and the bright Florida sun reflectors did not work so good- got kinda jumpy.

With the ProClip I used to adjust Light Filter and IR Brightness to compensate for day time use.

Hope this helps. You will LOVE your new head tracking!!! EZDOK and Opus require a little text editing, but nothing too complicated. Ask here if you need help. :)

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

I've used TrackIR for a number of years, but with the passive cap reflectors. I have had very few issues with the system (mostly software related), but as I have never used it, must defer to the other posters when they suggest the active system is superior.

Do bear in mind that the active system requires a headset to mount and a USB port for power. I believe you can rig up a battery pack to power the LEDs. But I dont know anyway around the headset. I am not instructing you. Just a couple of things to consider.

I played around for a bit with NotrackIR, the freeware answer to TrackIR, and although it was supposed to work without any LEDs, there was a version that used an IR LED setup powered by a battery pack.

I ended up buying the LEDs, and used a webcam with a negative film filter as the receiver. Never did finish the build, but I still have the LEDs. So I'm wondering if I could use them to build the LED headset myself, instead of buying it.

-= Gary Barth =-

I ended up buying the LEDs, and used a webcam with a negative film filter as the receiver. Never did finish the build, but I still have the LEDs. So I'm wondering if I could use them to build the LED headset myself, instead of buying it.

Hey Gary,

That's way over my head. Maybe Neil could speak to that. There's a reason that folks pay significant dollars for TrackIR. It just works. My preference would be a cap mounted LED setup with a battery pack. Invent one. I'll be first in line for the purchase :)

Hey Gary,

That's way over my head. Maybe Neil could speak to that. There's a reason that folks pay significant dollars for TrackIR. It just works. My preference would be a cap mounted LED setup with a battery pack. Invent one. I'll be first in line for the purchase :)

It's relatively easy to set up a simple LED circuit using a 4-AA battery pack and 3 IR LEDs. It took me about 30 minutes to wire it up. Trick is designing a bracket for the LEDs. Should work with the TrackIR camera.

The LEDs are cheap, as is the battery pack. It could be done for way less than $10 USD.

-= Gary Barth =-

I've been using a TIR4 with the reflective clip since 2007 and I've noticed no sensitivity issues, except...

Once my tracking became very poor.  Upon a closer inspection I noticed that the reflectors on the clip were bent out of alignment with the sensor.  Bending them carefully back (really not a big deal) fixed it.  I've found that it helps to keep the reflective surface clean as well.  I've always thought the pro clip not worth the hassle of yet another tethered device attached to myself, when the passive clip, sans any tether, works just fine for me.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Www.free-track.net is the place I found to design these things.

-= Gary Barth =-

The Pro Clip has a rep for breaking pretty easy. (hint use a headphone stand when not wearing headphones and treat the proclip with kid gloves)

The build quality of the TrackClip Pro is borderline acceptable. NaturalPoint cheaped out on this big time and it honestly feels like it would break if you even so much as look at it the wrong way. But saying that, they don't have any competitors so they can charge what they want, and they do!

At the end of the day though, the TrackIR is brilliant and it works really really well. 

Never did finish the build, but I still have the LEDs. So I'm wondering if I could use them to build the LED headset myself, instead of buying it.

Yes. This should work without a problem. Let us know how you get on!

Invent one. I'll be first in line for the purchase :)

I recently came across an alternative and I'm seriously considering picking one up as a backup to the TrackClip Pro

280751011.jpg

It's called a Delan IR Clip, it's made by a guy in the UK. The frame itself is metal and I'm pretty sure the components he uses are far superior than the Naturalpoint ones. (also comes in a battery powered version)

http://www.delanengineering.com/

Neil Andrews.