Sign in to follow this  

I want to buy a new pc that can run the pmdg 777 on addon scenery like UK2000 and the rest of must have addons (REX, FTX Global,...) and get above 25 fps in the cockpit. Is this possible with these specs ?

I5-4690k overclocked up to 4.6 ghz

MSI Z97

GTX 960 2gb

8gb ram

I know tweaks must be applied

Yes should be fine 970 should be better

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

We sell an identical system, have built and tweaked dozens of them, and never had a bad comment.  The i5 is as capable as the i7 for P3D, and the 960 is very similar to the 970 for way less money.  I recommend the MSI version, though, as it's the most reliable we've had.

sig01.png

It will probably work, but only just that. I thought abut the 960 as well, but I'm now thinking on getting a 970 as it has much better specs and should be able to use more VRAM reducing popping autogen and loads better textures.

Maarten Otto

19.jpg

I have a core i5 2500k running 3.5GHz , GTX 760 2GB and get 20 - 25 in the PMDG VC at add-on airport such as LHR with AI Traffic to boot. You'll be ok with that setup.

Now add ORBX Global, Vector and Landclass plus some ASN and I'm sure those sweet 25 frames will drop below 20.

Maarten Otto

19.jpg

Running ORBX Global and ASN with the numbers given. Landclass doesn't effect frames. Vector might dent it by 2 or 3 but really.. who the hell cares? Set the sim up the way you want, with the addons you want and if it works for you then all the more power to ya.

We sell an identical system, have built and tweaked dozens of them, and never had a bad comment.  The i5 is as capable as the i7 for P3D, and the 960 is very similar to the 970 for way less money.  I recommend the MSI version, though, as it's the most reliable we've had.

Are you sure about that? So you mean I5 4690K is equal I7 4790K as for P3D Performance?

I don't think so for the following reasons:

1) I7 has, at stock speed, 0,6GHZ more core clock speed

2) HT=ON gives me better results than HT=OFF using addons (specially ASN)...  also i think P3D development will improve HT usefulness.

3) I compared my I7 4790K P3D perormance with my brother's I5 4690K ones and experienced about 20% FPS more. Nothing scientific there i have to admit, but benchmarks results are similar so I believe that this is more or less the difference between the two.

I would suggest going for I7 4790K and GTX 970 to avoid having second thoughts when it is too late.... the value for money is not much worse and still very very good IMHO. I do not know if 5fps on a basis of 20 for you are worth $ 100, but considering the cost for ADDONs i think it's better to be safe with the best hardware on the market (ex. cpu currently off the market prices, costing 1000$ or so), at least for CPU which is still the most important part.

I think you'll be fine….

On a i5 3570k overclocked to 4.2mhz and a GTX670 I can achieve 25-30fps...

PMDG 777

UK2000's EGLL

20% traffic (Traffic 360)

Orbx Europe/England

Normal autogen

ASN weather….

Any other aircraft, like the Aerosoft 319/320, etc add 5-10fps.

Just don't go CRAZY on the settings…tempting I know….

Jason Jackett

Are you sure about that? So you mean I5 4690K is equal I7 4790K as for P3D Performance?

2) HT=ON gives me better results than HT=OFF using addons (specially ASN)...  also i think P3D development will improve HT usefulness.

3) I compared my I7 4790K P3D perormance with my brother's I5 4690K ones and experienced about 20% FPS more. Nothing scientific there i have to admit, but benchmarks results are similar so I believe that this is more or less the difference between the two.

I would suggest going for I7 4790K and GTX 970 to avoid having second thoughts when it is too late.... the value for money is not much worse and still very very good IMHO. I do not know if 5fps on a basis of 20 for you are worth $ 100, but considering the cost for ADDONs i think it's better to be safe with the best hardware on the market (ex. cpu currently off the market prices, costing 1000$ or so), at least for CPU which is still the most important part.

I agree the advice given isn't the best ;-)

André

I agree the advice given isn't the best ;-)

Right now, FSX and P3D do not take any advantage of hyperthreading, and benefits for other add-ons are marginal.  The i7 is indeed slightly faster, but it's absolutely not a 20% difference once overclocked and properly tuned.  I agree that the future might bring some improvements regarding HT, but that's still a shot in the dark right now.

This advice is good, because the OP seems to have a more limited budget than you.  I don't know where you get your numbers, but the price difference between a 4690K and GTX960 combo and a 4790K and GTX970 combo is way, way over $100.  Regardless of the value for the money, if the OP doesn't have these funds to allocate to a PC purchase, the parts he selected will still give him good results.

Why don't you have two TitanX cards in SLI and a 5960X?  As Rob Ainscough demonstrated, that's the system that will give you the most performance.  Thing is, it's out of most's budget.  

What I'm trying to do here is to tell the OP that his selected configuration, while more modest than some others', will be able to yield comfortable performance for his intended use.  It won't be as future-proof, but it's still a good system for the money.  If the OP has the means to go for a 4790K and a GTX970, he should, as they offer superior performance.  If he doesn't, his selected configuration will be absolutely decent.

sig01.png

Nobody said that is not decent. The meaning of my post is that if one is going to spend 500-1000$ in addons like implied in the thread, than it is better invest 100$ for a better cpu (gpu a part). It is just an advice, given because i know this hobby can make you pretty perfectionist, so you can regret later to have choosen a second best hardware, after you pirchased and installed all the addons you were dreaming...

Also i ynderline that in my experience the difference is noticeable.

If the guy is content with i5 better for him because he is getting quite best value for money, but this hobby is not for accountants...

Right now, FSX and P3D do not take any advantage of hyperthreading, and benefits for other add-ons are marginal.  The i7 is indeed slightly faster, but it's absolutely not a 20% difference once overclocked and properly tuned.  I agree that the future might bring some improvements regarding HT, but that's still a shot in the dark right now.

This advice is good, because the OP seems to have a more limited budget than you.  I don't know where you get your numbers, but the price difference between a 4690K and GTX960 combo and a 4790K and GTX970 combo is way, way over $100.  Regardless of the value for the money, if the OP doesn't have these funds to allocate to a PC purchase, the parts he selected will still give him good results.

We have different price points here in Europe as you seems to have ;-)

As for the advice the OP didn't mentioned a budget in this topic did he? Did you asked here before giving advise?

Further he specifies particular add-ons and a target FPS...

If he is on budget well then you have to do with what you can afford simple as that.

But it's always a good idea to give several options with the advantage and disadvantage such configurations have in comparison.

As for the Nvidia 460 / 560 / 660 / 760 / 960  when you can effort a x.70 series I would certainly go with those compared to the performance of the x.60 series.

Since P3D has a function called tessellation it makes a difference in GPU.

One mistake made for FS/P3D is that the I7 processor is only about HT only, well guess what there is more to it  ;-)

The comparison with Titan x is way off compared to the question.

André

André,

You don't have to convince me.  I sell computers for flight simulators.  To me, the more my client spends, the more money I make.  I'm well aware of how the i7 series offers superior performance compared to the i5 line, and about the GPU usage in P3D.

And I reply here as someone who knows about hardware, not as a salesman.

But at my company, we also pride ourselves on fitting our offerings to the client's needs - not the other way around.  I didn't ask the OP what his budget was, since he didn't ask for help building a system - he simply asked if that configuration was good enough.

Well, it is good enough.  It's not the best, and if he wants the best, or even something more future-proof, then he should go with what you suggested, and add another 8GB of RAM.  But, that's not what he asked.

I made an extreme comparison to make a point.  Like I said earlier, one of the systems we sell is based on a 4690K and a GTX960.  It's our lower-end system, and we are aware of that.  Still, clients that purchased it were happy with theirs, and we got no complaints.

sig01.png

Great for you Max, but you talked about that he is on budget and I didn't read he said he would? and here we disagree because you said quote

" We sell an identical system, have built and tweaked dozens of them, and never had a bad comment.  the 960 is very similar to the 970 for way less money."

They aren't even close to similar in P3D ;-)

If he want to achieve what he asked, well I would go another route or wait to create more budget (and headroom)

Or turn down my expectations ;-).

I leave it at this and I simply don't agree with your advise as a developer about the GPU and the expected bandwidth generated

André