Sign in to follow this  

Okay, I agree that the way I said it was unclear.

Let's put it this way.  If you can afford the 4790K, it's the best choice as far as LGA1150 CPUs go.  If you can afford the GTX980, it's the best choice as a GTX 900 series, followed by the GTX970.

If those are over your budget, the 4690K and the GTX960 are good components.  They won't perform as much as the better components, but should be good enough for the OP's needs.

Whether the OP is on a budget or not is irrelevant - he asked if the components were good enough and they are just that - good enough.  I'm sure the OP knows some higher end components would yield more performance.

As a final advice, the OP might want to hold on for a bit - as the new Intel CPUs are released, there is a good chance the remaining 4790Ks will drop in price.

sig01.png

I want to buy a new pc that can run the pmdg 777 on addon scenery like UK2000 and the rest of must have addons (REX, FTX Global,...) and get above 25 fps in the cockpit. Is this possible with these specs ?

I5-4690k overclocked up to 4.6 ghz

MSI Z97

GTX 960 2gb

8gb ram

I know tweaks must be applied

Most important a few questions at what screen resolution and sliders settings are you planning to run P3D?

Which UK2000 airports? Heathrow?

What AI settings?

André

I use a 4790K with two 780ti and 32GB RAM, and on heavy weather I'm around 20-25 (with triple monitor setup and track ir)

It all really depends if the op thinks the 4790K is worth the extra $ for maybe a few fps over the 4690K. The majority of gaming benchmarks and reviews show the gains are minimal at similar clock speeds.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I have 4790k safe @4.7ghz on air (CM 212=30€), to have i54690k at same clock speed you need to spend the 100$ of difference in the cooler or however the difference will be reduced a lot. So no sense, you have to compare stock speeds... and that shows at least 10% more performance even on single core tasks.... no story with HT, that for me is working just fine.

The simmer always want more and more from his system, installing addon after addon... have 2 monitor? Why not 3? 

So you will be thinking "yes it is good, but with I7 or 970 would it be better?"  And you will end up buying it or crashing your hardware with insane ocing. So if you are going to install the better addons just save money before the better hardware you can (not spending 1000$ for CPU because that is non sense imho, if you are not milionaire) and buy addon along the way....

The point is it's up to each user to decide if it's worth it. A 4790K that runs at 4.7 is still roughly 40% more money than a 4690K at 4.6, each cpu's overclock potential is different. The 4790K will of course be a bit faster in FSX or P3d, it just depends on whether it's worth it or not to each user.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I jumped ship today and bought the Asus STRIX GTX970 and Prepar3D. Without installing any other add-on except for the Q400 I was amazed of the eye candy and smoothness.

Maarten Otto

19.jpg

I have 4790k safe @4.7ghz on air (CM 212=30€), to have i54690k at same clock speed you need to spend the 100$ of difference in the cooler or however the difference will be reduced a lot. So no sense, you have to compare stock speeds... and that shows at least 10% more performance even on single core tasks.... no story with HT, that for me is working just fine.

My i5 4690k runs at up to 4.6Ghz with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler, and it works just fine. In other words, I didn't need to spend any extra money on an expensive water cooler (which I am not interested in anyway). Whilst I am not certain of the comparison between an i5 4690k and i7 4790k, I agree with someone else in this thread that the difference in performance is nowhere near as dramatic as some people like to think (at least where FSX and P3D are concerned). Exactly the same was true of the i5 2500k and i7 2600k.

It's worth pointing out that I have an excellent CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer case, which has plenty of room inside, a massive 200mm diameter fan at the front (I can feel the cool air flowing through from it when I open the case), a couple of smaller fans at the rear, and plenty of vents.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png