Sign in to follow this  
HaraldG

LatinVFR KSNA question

I'm not pushing any product but in all fairness, I have had zero problems with this scenery. LatinVFR is a reputable developer who continues to support FS9 and whose products are starting to be equal to some of the best addons. They have even issued free upgrades for some of their earlier sceneries.  

As the advertising disclaimer says -- "results may vary." I'm guessing the majority of customers have had good results or there would have been a storm of protests months ago when the scenery was first released.

Ed, have you contacted their support people? They may be able to help you identify what's causing the problem you are having with it.

Cheers

Ian

I have the LatinVFR scenery with the FS9 ground shadows option on, but I have not seen the grass shadows like in Ed's screenshot. :Confused:

Update: I checked my Latin VFR scenery and I did not have the volumetric grass in my scenery. When I first got the scenery I guess I never installed that option? So I re-installed the scenery with the grass and I did indeed have that shadows on the grass like in Ed's screenshots.

Ed, have you contacted their support people? They may be able to help you identify what's causing the problem you are having with it.

I don't have to…I know the answer. "Turn your scenery shadows off!" So that is what I will do. :P

I am grateful of the FS9 support. I purchased this scenery also because of the AES support. :smile:

What says the manual? In the case of KSAN (!), it is clearly stated that shadows have to bei switched off.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

What says the manual? In the case of KSAN (!), it is clearly stated that shadows have to bei switched off.

There is nothing in the manual about scenery shadows. But clearly they have to be switched off.

See static aircraft block shadow below.

fsscr182_zpsk4chs3uy.jpg

Of course one could remove the grass and static aircraft if this is a problem. :smile:

….and one could make the GA runway active only for GA but that's another story.

I started a topic in the LatinVFR forum asking if there is a way to get rid of the grass shadows without turning off the FS9 ground shadows option.

I started a topic in the LatinVFR forum asking if there is a way to get rid of the grass shadows without turning off the FS9 ground shadows option.

May as well add static aircraft to your topic.

I went to have a look a UK2000 airports after this and found they had no scenery shadows at all.

Well I don't use static aircraft. But I could add the static aircraft shadows for others.

I've been thinking about this one for a while. I'm still using the old FlyTampa KSAN (wish they rebooted that one like they did KTPA) . I don't care about static AC or volumetric grass so it should be good for me. I'm glad I've got more info on this now so thanks to everyone.

Hey ian, quick question, and not to hijack this, I keep hearing FSX SE runs better than the discs. I had FSX Acceleration and tweaked it to a point where it was almost perfect with ORBX installed and the scenery at pretty high levels. There was just these annoying 5 second pauses every once in a while that made me not use it. I think you had the original FSX discs did you not? Is there any real difference between a tweaked disc FSX and SE? It would seem not so but I keep hearing to the contrary.

LatinVFR is a reputable developer who continues to support FS9 and whose products are starting to be equal to some of the best addons.

Ian, I think there is no doubt about this. But another fact is that some of LatinVFRs sceneries belong to these with the worst FPS on my PC - probably because of the shadows problem. I just wanted to know if I would experience this again.

By the way, I love LatinVFRs SCEL, SLLP, SLSU, SPIM... but KSAN, as an example, is nearly unusable with shadows cast on, at least at my system.

However, this thread had its purpose. I have discovered a good freeware with your help. Thanks, guys!

Regards,

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

I heard back from LatinVFR, they said the issue with the shadows is related to the fact that they converted the objects from FSX to FS9. They said the only way to fix it is to remove the objects or turn off the FS9 ground shadows. But they did say they will look into fixing it.

Here is the link to the thread incase anyone wants to see it http://www.flycay.com/forums/showthread.php?5662-KSNA-grass-shadows