Sign in to follow this  
Raven9000

FSUIPC clear answer

Hi, trying to read into the many benefits of FSUIPC, and determine the difference between the free version and the registered one.

Yes, there are a million posts, and yes the million posts are not clear. It seems everyone says "yea, you have 1000s of functions available with the registered version" without providing any clear and concrete examples...

So what I'd like to ask is basically 3 things:

1 - what are some concrete specific functions you only get with the registered version

2 - what would you say are the most useful of those

3 - for a particular need: best way to calibrate several saitek controls (yoke, throttles, pedals, panels) and if possible have different settings for different aircraft and have them load automatically, would you say FSUIPC is *THE* tool for it? And if so, is this one use where the registered version is required?

Lastly, for WIDEFS, as I understand it's a server tool that you run on your main fsx machine and lets you run programs on other computers on your same network that can talk to your fsx (through the client, then server, then fsuipc). Is that about right? So what are the best tools you use with this underlying infrastructure? Anything particularly nice/useful? And I imagine you don't need a supercomputer for that, right?

Greetings,

One of the best ways to answer many of your questions would be to download the latest version of FSUIPC. The freeware version and PAYWARE version are the same file; once you pay for it and register FSUIPC, it unlocks all the fun stuff. But you can get the documentation for free.

1. The PAYWARE version gives you the ability to assign axes, buttons and key strokes. It has a more efficient joystick calibration routine. It has more controls that can be assigned to a button/switch than via the FSX menu. You can create aircraft profiles, which customize button/switch and axes assignments based on the aircraft you're flying. No more reconfiguring the joystick when swapping from the J3 Cub to the Lear Jet. Utilities such as centering the aileron trim when activating the autopilot, dampening controller spikes, extending the battery life among others. I also ran a real-world Garmin 295 GPS via the GPSOUT setting of FSUIPC; it was pretty cool having FSX and the Garmin synced together

2. My favorite/most useful feature would have to be the profiles feature...

3. Yes! This is one of the greatest things FSUIPC does.

Unfortunately I can't provide insight into WideFS as I do not use it. However, just like FSUIPC, you can download the program and read all the documentation to see if it will do what you need it to before you pay for it.

Respectfully,

Brian

1 - what are some concrete specific functions you only get with the registered version

The ability to assign buttons / keystrokes / axis from specific joysticks to specific FSX functions.  I can't speak for anything else the program might do, although it is capable of a lot.  As previously suggested by the poster prior to me, a good idea is to read the manual.

3 - for a particular need: best way to calibrate several saitek controls (yoke, throttles, pedals, panels) and if possible have different settings for different aircraft and have them load automatically, would you say FSUIPC is *THE* tool for it? And if so, is this one use where the registered version is required?

Absolutely.  I have all plugged in at the same time: Saitek yoke, second Saitek TQ, Saitek TPM, Saitek switch panel, Saitek trim wheel, Saitek x55 stick plus throttle.  (I also have rudder pedals plugged in, but they are the only hardware I assign through FSX, since they never change assignments.)  FSUIPC is the only thing that keeps me sane.  It allows me to set up portions of that hardware as profiles to use with specified aircraft or helicopters.

Many people who use a limited amount of hardware may feel differently, but if you have a lot of hardware, it becomes absolutely essential.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

would you say FSUIPC is *THE* tool for it? And if so, is this one use where the registered version is required?

Absolutely essential, the profile function is worth the price alone.

The Mouse macro function is genius, it has allowed me to use my goflight panels with aircraft that would not ordinarily work with them.

Lastly, for WIDEFS, as I understand it's a server tool that you run on your main fsx machine and lets you run programs on other computers on your same

The Profile function is invaluable, worth the price on it's own

The Mouse Macro function is the work of genius

FSuipc is the cornerstone of my setup, the number one piece of payware that should be on every ones list, putting it's many functions aside for a moment, it is doing a lot of stuff behind the scenes to keep FSX working properly, intercepting crashes ect that many folk are not even aware of, for that alone Peter Dowson deserves to be paid.

WideFS runs on your client machine and "talks" to FSuipc running inside FSX.

This allows you to use many applications running on another machine as if they were on the main FSX machine.

I use it for FSCommander and Radar Contact, Having the FSCommander moving map visable is great and I find Radar Contact runs much better networked.

The registered version of FSUIPC enables you to run and to create LUA scripts. Those are little programs with which you can manipulate almost anything in FSX. I used Lua to create a checklist program that reads all items to me on request. Others have created tools to set all buttons in the PMDG Jetstream 4100 to cold and dark, for instance. You can find more examples of (free) Lua script at

http://forum.simflight.com/forum/143-user-contributions/

Peter

I used fsuipc virtual button with spad to assign special LUA routines to buttons. For instance, in the Duke T, i have the deice button that set all anti icing devices of the aircraft. I also used the magneto selector to do the automatic sequence for motors start up in several steps.

But axis is definitively the most useful feature. I used a 20 cents metal hinge to delimitate two range for my ch yoke power lever. I can control easily how to go in the reverse range with one lever without accidentally going into the reverse.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

As you can see, so many of us have found different uses, with a lot of commonallity, for this amazing add-on... additional ket assignments that MS does not give, control calibration, the list goes on.

So, download the free version & READ, READ & READ the manuals!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

+ 1,000,000  !!

I'd buy the Registered version if it was 3x the price (Don't get any ideas, Pete!), purely for the following feature it provides :-

• The ability to assign key commands and buttons using the Mouse Macros (MCRO) and LUA features.

I personally detest constant mouse clicks in the VC once flying, and with quite a lot of aircraft coming with no integrated key command assignability (but mouse macro compatibility), such as the Aerosoft Airbuses, Majestic Q400, QW Avros, etc, etc, this feature of Registered FSUIPC is absolutely invaluable to me.

It allows me to assign keyboard commands (or hardware buttons) to custom features such as VNAV, FL CH, overhead switches etc  - far, far beyond the scope of FS's own native keyboard assignment capabilities.

In addition I also use all of the 'fixes' on the "Misc" page (battery life, control acceleration bugs, weather smoothing, etc), and I also use the "custom profiles" to be able to assign lot's of different key commands to many different aircrafts (without having to reassign each time I change planes!).

For me, FSUIPC = God, Brahman, Yahweh, Sunyata of Flight Sim!  :lol:

In all seriousness though, I probably wouldn't fly any more if Registered FSUIPC weren't available. (I rate it in the same league as TrackIR in that regard).

When they work! However, from the FSUIPC4 User Guide: In order to work they need to be able to hook into Gauge code which must be structured in the predictable way which results from using the Microsoft FS SDK for building gauges in C or C++. This unfortunately excludes most of Microsoft's own default FSX aircraft, as they did not use this technique. Furthermore, most new aircraft made by third parties use the more recent technique of having gauges in XML. Those are also not susceptible to "Mouse Macros". That aside, FSUIPC is an essential add-on for FSX.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

When they work! However, from the FSUIPC4 User Guide: In order to work they need to be able to hook into Gauge code

Thanks for that, but I am fully aware how they work.

That said, if it were not for the mouse macro's I would never have been able to programme my goflight stuff for half of the addons in my hanger.

Anything else I can get working by logging the lua variables because of FSuipc's logging facility's and then writing Lua scripts to get my hardware working.

If you have the hardware and need it programmed Fsuipc is absolutely essential.

Perhaps the best reason is that it will continue to support and develop an application that (i don't think i am over-stating this) revolutionized Flight Sim 

Ian R Tyldesley

I have it because I don't want to risk not having it, registered version. In FS9  used it quite a bit for weather related stuff. In FSX and FS9 have never used FSUIPC to do anything with either my Saitek or GoFlight gear. I just use their drivers and Windows calibration. Works fine for me. Also some addons are calling for it also, or calling for it not to interfere with them. It's worth the low price compared with how much we spend on other addons.

Just sayin....

The best part is, I paid once...I can't even remember how long ago.. and it has been working for almost all flight sim. P3D, FSX, FSX SE...  Its a gift that keeps on giving.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I used a 20 cents metal hinge to delimitate two range for my ch yoke power lever. I can control easily how to go in the reverse range with one lever without accidentally going into the reverse.

I know you posted this a few months ago but I only just came across it today. I love your solution for delineating the forward and reverse thrust using a hinge. Would it be at all possible to post a picture so I can get an idea of how to implement a similar solution with a couple of my Saitek throttles? I often find it frustrating not being able to get able proper physical feedback that could tell you what positions your various throttles were in. I know it's a bit much to ask for after this amount of time, but I'm always looking for innovative and preferably cheap ways to add the functionality you need to any piece of hardware, but especially Flight Sim hardware of course. 

Well, here's hoping......

Paul

At one time WIDEFS was the go to tool for connecting programs across the network.  With the exception of a few programs, two which were mentioned above, it has been replaced by vendor supplied network bridges or SimConnect.

My networked machine runs REX Texture Direct w/Soft Clouds, REX Essential, ActiveSky Next, FS Global Real Weather, FSWidgets EFB, Plan-G, simPlugins Panel Builder and SuperTraffic Board and none of them require WIDEFS.

Having said that I'm going to make an odd statement.  I wish that when I purchased FSUIPC I had paid the few extra dollars and bought WIDEFS as part of the package.   I have yet to need it, but if I ever do, it will be at full price, which will really chaff me. :-)

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem