Sign in to follow this  
Southwest69

Putting Windows 7 on an SSD

Having bought a new PC, I got round to installing fs9 and all my many add-ons onto it.  Just when I got everything running really smoothly, something terminal happened which meant I had to do a complete re-install of Windows.

So, on the advice of my PC guy, I purchased a 128Mb SSD and just installed Windows and all the start up programmes on it.  Everything else, is going onto the 1Tb hardrive.

Early indications are looking good.  The PC get's from swith on to home screen in about half the time and FS9 seems to be running a lot quicker to.

Just a suggestion should anyone be interested.

My experience was the same. Migrating to OS on SSD cut OS and P3D2 load times massively.

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I have just been through the same exercise and an even better config is to put Windows on your primary SSD and then FSX on a second SSD.  I then have a hard disk for big scenery files and any storage that I need.  The improvement is immense!  I am not an expert but that config was what the experts reccomended.

Bob Palmer

Bob Palmer

I'm currently in the new build process for FSX, and my experience has shown that 128GB SSD might not cut it.

Even though you're trying to keep it for the OS, programs like AV, Adobe, MS Office will take a huge chunk of that.

SSD's will start to degrade as well above 80% capacity.

My Crucial MX200 is running @ $145 so relativity cheap for the extra piece of mind.

I'm current running a 250GB for OS and programs and a 512GB designated to FSX.

Will ample space.

My 2 cents Cdn though.

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

I was running Windows 7 on a conventional 7200 rpm WD HD, and FSX on a Samsung 250Gb SSD.

Purely for devilment, I transferred FSX to a spare 300Gb velociraptor (almost no difference in loading times), and migrated my OS to the SSD.

After a nerve wracking 40 minutes I restarted my pc, and wow what a difference. It loads and operates so quickly now.  Eventually I will get another SSD for flightsim, but at the moment I'm dead chuffed.