Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

Gate assignments

Hi Bryan,

Would it be possible for the user to state the default gate assignment for each airport and UGCX to cause the gate assignment text message to be received in the cockpit some-when towards landing?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Would it be possible for the user to state the default gate assignment for each airport and UGCX to cause the gate assignment text message to be received in the cockpit some-when towards landing?

I'm not sure I follow.

Can you pls elaborate.

Hi Bryan,

Sorry to not have explained further.

I usually fly B77W in a British Airways livery. When deciding on an appropriate arrival gate, I use Wikipedia to decide which terminal BA use, then Navigraph for a suitable gate. This can be very repetitive over time.

CPDLC could have the capacity to receive gate assignments in the cockpit. If a user had the ability to set up a default gate for the destination airport, then UGCX could use this to send a CPDLC message advising the arrival gate.

HTH

Alas, the PMDG SDK doesn't allow anything like that.

The PMDG SDK basically allows you to flip switches and read the position of the switches.

Hi Bryan,

I like Richard's idea, even if it weren't to include something like CPDLC.

One aspect of "the other ground equipment software" that I don't like is that after I land and exit the runway, I have to stop the airplane and then go through several menus trying to find the gate that I'm supposed to go to.  While I include gate assignments as part of flight planning (FlightStats.com has this info for US flights), finding the gate I need in the menus is often cumbersome.  Would it be possible to include this step as part of the pre-flight config, or allow us to choose an arrival gate while still in the air?  I'd like to be able to land, clear the active, taxi in and have the ground crew waiting for me at the gate (or stand) without having to stop the airplane on a taxiway or go through pop-up menus.

Looking forward to it!

Ben

A correct AFCAD and aircraft repaint should have accurate parking codes. If you're able to read these, plus the gate size and aircraft size you could make an attempt to select one and then tell the pilot which he's been assigned (no menu pop-ups)

But then if you're on VATSIM and someone's already in that spot you'll need to be able to change it.

Hi Bryan,

I accept that at present the PMDG SDK may not allow it, but surely many additional facilities could be added if you were enabled to access/update all relevant items within PMDG products. Detecting changes as well as being able to set them would turn rather unintelligent functions in intelligent ones.

When are you going to be allowed to do such things?

Cheers, R

Would it be possible to include this step as part of the pre-flight config, or allow us to choose an arrival gate while still in the air?

I would very much like that option as well!

Well see what we can, but that may come in a future update.

We have to lock everything or UGCX will never see the light of day!

It's very hard as a developer to force yourself sometimes to stop adding stuff.  Trust me on this!

Sounds good to me Bryan, I think that a basic, well put together ground services program first, then bells and whistles as future releases (when and if practical) at later dates is a good idea.

Second the this idea, for initial release or future update!!!!! Thnx Bryan!!

Richard Bansa

I think it may have to come in a future upgrade.

We've basically locked everything down for the initial release.

Yippie..... 

We've basically locked everything down for the initial release.

so its imminent....gg :-))

so its imminent....gg :-))

Locking down does not mean imminment... it means we've stopped adding new features (otherwise it'll never get out  B)  )

Well see what we can, but that may come in a future update.

We have to lock everything or UGCX will never see the light of day!

It's very hard as a developer to force yourself sometimes to stop adding stuff.  Trust me on this!

From one developer to another (it is like Art): "Software is never finished, only abandoned":-)

One feature that would be nice, would be able to "vaporize" any AI that might occopy a gate. When landing with the 777F at some airports GSX (that I am using for now) will not allow my to pick a cirtain gate (e.g. perhaps the only gate at the airport big enought to handle the 777F).

I passed that request over to my UGCX coder...  no promises, but we'll see.

I could add that I fly with Proflight emulator for ATC, which allows me to "reserve" an arrival gate while flight planning which the destination ground control will then use (and even give me taxi instructions to). I also fly with FSCaptain (an acars utility) in which I can also reserve the same gate and it will send me the gate number during approach. Sometimes it changes it. But still FSX can still have that gate occupied by AI. A way to be able to clear the spot would be handy, indeed. Wishing is easy :)

Looking forward to UGCX!

Alex

What have been discussed here would certainly be cool and helpful but on the other hand IRL I don't think you always get your assigned gate until you actually get in touch with ground ATC after vacating or am I wrong?

IRL I don't think you always get your assigned gate until you actually get in touch with ground ATC after vacating or am I wrong?

You're not totally wrong.  I don't think.  But, not totally right either.  It's usually the airline themselves that determine where a plane will park.  So, when an aircraft gets "in range" and is communicating with its personnel at the destination airport, they are given a gate assignment from their operations team at that airport.  When they land, they then tell ATC what gate it is that they are going to.  That's at least been my experience with the two airlines that I worked for in the States.  Not sure how others or the rest of the world does it but I'd think it'd be pretty much the same.

You're not totally wrong.  I don't think.  But, not totally right either.  It's usually the airline themselves that determine where a plane will park.  So, when an aircraft gets "in range" and is communicating with its personnel at the destination airport, they are given a gate assignment from their operations team at that airport.  When they land, they then tell ATC what gate it is that they are going to.  That's at least been my experience with the two airlines that I worked for in the States.  Not sure how others or the rest of the world does it but I'd think it'd be pretty much the same.

As you say I guess it can be different from time to time and of course dependant on the airline and the airport. My assumption is based on the ATC comm I hear out at ESSA where the majority of aircraft are assigned a gate by ground after they vacated. I honestly can't remember I ever heard an aircraft telling ATC what gate they were assigned prior to landing and vacating.

Well...regardless how the gates are assigned I'm thrilled about this upcoming product! I've really been looking forward to it after being used to AES in FSX but after replacing FSX with P3D with no AES and not liking GSX this one will be more than welcome in my collection of addons :smile:

As you say I guess it can be different from time to time and of course dependant on the airline and the airport. My assumption is based on the ATC comm I hear out at ESSA where the majority of aircraft are assigned a gate by ground after they vacated. I honestly can't remember I ever heard an aircraft telling ATC what gate they were assigned prior to landing and vacating.

Well...regardless how the gates are assigned I'm thrilled about this upcoming product! I've really been looking forward to it after being used to AES in FSX but after replacing FSX with P3D with no AES and not liking GSX this one will be more than welcome in my collection of addons :smile:

Yeah, that's why I said "not totally wrong and not totally right"   :smile:   I only know of the couple airlines/airports here in the States.  I'm not sure how they do it elsewhere.  And, it may be case by case, airport by airport, etc, etc.  So there probably isn't a general rule here at all.

I have to say, this idea is a great one.  I've always hated sorting out where to park.  You just had this wonderful flight and then...oh yeah, back to the real world, look it up or take a guess where to park.  I'd also say it could be posted to a dialog or something.  the pilot just needs to see it.