Sign in to follow this  
BrianG

GTX 960 upgrade has down graded performance

Hi all,

My Radeon 6800 series( 1GB) card stopped working. Replaced it with a GTX 960 (2GB) and my FPS have diminished by 1/3. I ran Nvidia inspector for the default FSX tweaks and added a few I found while searching the forum.. I took out my old FSX.cfg and let FSX build a new one and put in the essential Word Not Allowed tweaks. Still, performance is very lacking compared with the older Radeon card that is only 1GB. Frames drop to single digits with approaching payware airports where they used to be around 20 FPS under same circumstances using the Radeon 6800. Can anyone see a potential conflict with this new card and my specs posted below. Nvidia support says my specs are fine for the new card, but they're not FS experts. I did a stress test on the card. No issues there. The CPU isn't that powerful, but again, I was getting much better performance with the old card, all else being equal. Thanks for your help.

CPU : I7-870

GPU: GTX 960

PSU: Corsair 650w

RAM: 8 GB (2x4)

HD:    1 TB

OS Windows 7 64 bit

Best,

Brian

What are the power settings on the Nvidia Inspector set to? Adaptive or Maximum Performance?

What about the Antialiasing?

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I would start by deleting the FSX.cfg file, rebooting and letting FSX create a new one.

Thanks Jude.That's exactly what I did as written above. Still bad results.

What are the power settings on the Nvidia Inspector set to? Adaptive or Maximum Performance?

What about the Antialiasing?

Power is set to Max perfomance.

Antialiasing is set to 8xs.

Transparency supersampling is set to 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling

Antialiasing mode is set to: Override any application setting

Behavior flags: None

FXAA usage: disallowed

Thanks for your help

Your GPU is doing unnecessary work:

1/ Antialiasing is set to 8xs.
2/ Transparency supersampling is set to 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling

Only use 1/ with DX9
Only use 2/ with DX10 and DX11

More about that in this discussion "FSX-SE Nvidia Inspector doesnt override AA".

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Only use 1/ with DX9
Only use 2/ with DX10 and DX11

Thanks Steve. A bit confused on your recommendations. I use DX9. So, are you saying keep antialiasing set to 8xs and don't use 2x sparse grid supersampling for the Transpernac setting? Thanks again. I'll check out the link you posted.

Cheers,

Brian

Yes Brian, transparency is to do with the way DX10 and DX11 images are made, which are different to DX9. It's best to only use the AA method associated with the version of D3D in use.

Yes Brian, transparency is to do with the way DX10 and DX11 images are made, which are different to DX9. It's best to only use the AA method associated with the version of D3D in use.

Thanks again Steve. With that said, for DX9 users, where would you suggest I set Transparency Super Sampling?

Thanks again Steve. With that said, for DX9 users, where would you suggest I set Transparency Super Sampling?

When using FSX DX10 Preview, or P3Dv2

If using DX9, start with a default profile and set:

Antialiasing - Behaviour Flags = Treat 'Override any' as 'App-Controlled'

Antialiasing - Mode = Enhance the application setting

Antialiasing - Setting = 4x4 [4x4 Supersampling (D3D only)] (or to something less)

Dx9 requires transparency aa to reduce shimmer. Most people use fsx dx9 with some setting of sgss to achieve this.

It used to be possible with just 8xs but has not been the case for several years now since nvidia changed driver optimizations

Dx9 requires transparency aa to reduce shimmer.

Wrong.

I'm sat here with two systems, both with FSX, and FSX-SE, One Win7 with GTX480, and one Win8 with GTX680, both have 1920x1200 screens.

I'm waiting for you to give me the settings for NVidia CP and/or NI, that demonstrate any improvements to AA by using Transparency with DX9 FSX or FSX-SE. Of course, there's a reason it won't work, but I'll give you that chance to suggest some settings and we'll give it a go.

:D

I mean, come on, it takes longer to write comments about it than it does to test it out.

If you check out the posts above Glenn, and give it a go:

If using DX9, start with a default profile and set:

Antialiasing - Setting = 4x4 [4x4 Supersampling (D3D only)] (or to something less)

4x4 is the top Supersampling setting for DX9, and that's a bit like having 4x the screen area, so it's common to set something lower than that.

And this is the DX10 setup:

If using DX10 start with a default profile and set:

Antialiasing - Behaviour Flags = None

Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling = 2xSS, 4xSS, or 8xSS

If the instruments still look poorly antialiased, then choose 2xSGSS, 4xSGSS, or 8xSGSS. Here I am talking about for example a Carenado 1900D or C340, or a BN2 Islander, but with a stock plane ignore SGSS and just use SS - the difference is in the models. You will find SSAA better overall than SGSSAA, so only use SGSSAA for those planes that exhibit the excessive pixellation, even though the background is AA'd.

(NI 1.9.7.3 + NVidia 347.88)

Why is SGSSAA not as good as SSAA? Because it does what it says on the tin, takes a sparse grid sample so it's like lowering the resolution of the starting image. Transparency is not about seeing through a clingfilm wrapper, that's opacity. DX10 and DX11 textures require Transparency supersampling because they are more complex than DX9 textures. To put it very simply, sparse grid samples come into use when the model scaling creates indeterminate pixel sizes around the edges of some objects, in FSX DX10 and DX11 P3Dv2.

Here's shots from the BN2 compared with and without sparse grid supersampling, it's much better to see it in the sim. On the left just supersampling, on the right sparse grid applied, FSX DX10. SGSS is not required with stock aircraft or aircraft like PMDGs 777 for example.

DX10SparseGrid.jpg

Still waiting for those settings Glenn...

I'm still getting single digit FPS ( unusable) when approaching flightbeam ksfo using the recommended DX9 settings posted above, where I was around 20 fps (everything else being equal) with my Radeon 6800 1 gb card. Can someone tell me how to post my NI here so you can see what I've got. That in conjunction with posting my FSX settings and FSX.CFG might help clarify where the problem lies. All this for a GPU change? Good grief !!

I redid my FSX.CFG and put all the basic tweaks in as I had it before. Spent hours with horrible results. I've turned off transparency supersampling. My instruments look OK. Even at 2x or 4x, my FPS really didn't change that much.

This should not be happening in comparing the two cards. Has to be something I'm not doing or doing wrong. Thanks for all your help. My specs are on the first post in this thread.

Cheers,

Brian

Yes transparency won't help as I said, since that's for DX10. However, I also said 4x4 was the top AA for DX9 so hopefully you tried the lowest first 2x [2x Multisampling] and worked up.

Even if you get an efficient AA setup, doesn't mean it will definitely fix your issue, could be a number of things.

Several tweaks you may have had that worked in conjuction with the old card, but won't with the NVidia. Set up a default cfg and leave it default, don't install those tweaks, could be messing you up. You should be able to set up the AA in a few minutes.

You are using DX9, so make sure you start with a default profile and set:

Antialiasing - Setting = 2x [2x Multisampling]

You can make a default profile by using the restore button in CP, and apply, that deletes the fsx profile. Then make any setting in CP to create the new profile, so set Antialiasing - Mode = Enhance the application setting to make the new profile with that already set, go into NI and the fsx profile can be selected, set 2x, and behaviour flags as above. Then try 4x, should be only minutes of work.

If you can do that first, we can see if it's working right. Be careful to follow those instructions carefully. If that does not work with the default cfg then the card is not working properly. You could go on to try default bios settings and so on. I hope you get it going Brian! speak later.