Sign in to follow this  
BrianG

GTX 960 upgrade has down graded performance

This should not be happening in comparing the two cards. Has to be something I'm not doing or doing wrong. Thanks for all your help. My specs are on the first post in this thread.

Is the 6800 completely broken or is it working enough so that you could reinstall it's drivers?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

NV_Inspecto_Vsync4.jpg4x4 FSAA or 2x2 FSAA?

there is a reason we choose 8xs with 2x sgss

There are 100's of users that use this setting on these very forums

8xs is 4x ms with 1x2 ssaa

The reason?
4x4 ssaa will cripple perf, 2x2 isnt much better.

The sgssaa will at least get rid of shimmering on lamp posts fences etc.

To say sgssaa does not work in dx9 is just false. The difference is clear on my system and 100,s of others on here that use dx9

Also, we don't set enhance the app setting, we override it. Nobody wants the aa that fsx supplies enhanced. I want the driver to take control of it - this is why AA is set unchecked in FSX.

i suggest you post this topic in the general forum and see the reaction you get.

What you suggest flys in the face of every setup guide writtenfrom nickn, avsim, Word Not Allowed, pmdg etc. and also my own testing

Sgssaa works just fine in dx9 and always has. The difference is night and day.

Steve,

Using 2xSGSS in DX9 mode made a BIG difference for me when I used FSX. Texture shimmering of fences, poles, and buildings was reduced significantly. This was with 8xS AA and 16x AF.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Why is SGSSAA not as good as SSAA? Because it does what it says on the tin, takes a sparse grid sample so it's like lowering the resolution of the starting image. Transparency is not about seeing through a clingfilm wrapper, that's opacity. DX10 and DX11 textures require Transparency supersampling because they are more complex than DX9 textures. To put it very simply, sparse grid samples come into use when the model scaling creates indeterminate pixel sizes around the edges of some objects, in FSX DX10 and DX11 P3Dv2.

Here's shots from the BN2 compared with and without sparse grid supersampling, it's much better to see it in the sim. On the left just supersampling, on the right sparse grid applied, FSX DX10. SGSS is not required with stock aircraft or aircraft like PMDGs 777 for example.

DX10SparseGrid.jpg

Still waiting for those settings Glenn...

You have them

Steve,

Using 2xSGSS in DX9 mode made a BIG difference for me when I used FSX. Texture shimmering of fences, poles, and buildings was reduced significantly. This was with 8xS AA and 16x AF.

You have them

It took me less that 10minutes to try those settings on two PCs.

Haha, very funny. Just tried on both PCs. It makes no difference at all visually adding any ssgss value to your (or should I say NIckN) settings. Did you even try it with / without yourselves?

Do it now and we'll do it together hehe.

Sgssaa works just fine in dx9 and always has. The difference is night and day.

Show me a setting that works Glenn! I'm waiting...

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

It worked for me, Steve. I don't have FSX installed anymore (and it never will be), so testing will be impossible. However, I tried it in the first place because of excessive shimmering with some wooden fences, and adding 2xSGSS made a significant difference.

EDIT: I never used any "Nick N" settings, or indeed any settings from anyone else.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You guys are just posting stuff but not actually trying it. I will go step by step with you Glenn to get SGSSAA working in DX9 FSX or FSX-SE. I'm ready and poised, others at home with DX9 FSX might want to have a go, only takes a few minutes, less time than it does to post this comment.

By the way, Glenn, you mis-read me, I said 4x4 was the strongest AA in D3D9 and I did say a lower setting should be used and work up. I've read your posts about SGSSAA and they don't make any sense. Let's go through step by step TOGETHER. Beat this out once and for all.

I don't have FSX installed anymore

Never mind then Chris, but I'm afraid I suspect that you could have tried that transparency setting along with others and not realised it does nothing. It's not opacity, transparency is about the type of images produced in the sim, they are made by d3d10 and d3d11, not d3d9.

FFS, this is ridiculous.

I HAVE SGSS AA WORKING on DX 9 in FSX

with 8xS and no transparency AA then I have shimmering of trees, some cockpit displays and also fences, and lamp posts.

With SGSS AA turned onto 2x the shimmering stops.

What is it you dont understand?

These settings have been used by 1000's of FSX DX9 users for years. I dont need to step through anything with you.

Just look on forums for other titles where SGSS transparency AA works just fine with other DX9 titles too.

Sorry Steve, but keep telling me it doesnt work and I will keep telling you it does. As does Christopher and so will 1000's of other users.

It's quite unfair to Brian, he wants a simple standard workable setup to test the card properly, no tweaks.

You are using DX9, so make sure you start with a default profile and set:

Antialiasing - Behaviour Flags = Treat 'Override any' as 'App-Controlled'

Antialiasing - Mode = Enhance the application setting

Antialiasing - Setting = 2x [2x Multisampling]

Do that to a fresh profile Brian so we can eliminate the NI setup as causing any problems.

I challenge you to post this in the general forum and see the response you get.

Many will support the use of SGSAA in DX9 on FSX using 8xS as a base AA setting and will confirm that it works

No, I said 2x2 SSAA  was not much better it terms of performance as well. 4x4 is clearly overkill

You guys are just posting stuff but not actually trying it. I will go step by step with you Glenn to get SGSSAA working in DX9 FSX or FSX-SE. I'm ready and poised, others at home with DX9 FSX might want to have a go, only takes a few minutes, less time than it does to post this comment.

By the way, Glenn, you mis-read me, I said 4x4 was the strongest AA in D3D9 and I did say a lower setting should be used and work up. I've read your posts about SGSSAA and they don't make any sense. Let's go through step by step TOGETHER. Beat this out once and for all.

Never mind then Chris, but I'm afraid I suspect that you could have tried that transparency setting along with others and not realised it does nothing. It's not opacity, transparency is about the type of images produced in the sim, they are made by d3d10 and d3d11, not d3d9.

No, I said 2x2 SSAA  was not much better it terms of performance as well. 4x4 is clearly overkill

with 8xS and no transparency AA then I have shimmering of trees, some cockpit displays and also fences, and lamp posts.

With SGSS AA turned onto 2x the shimmering stops.

Tried again, on my 680, rebooted, deleted profile, tried other values no difference at all, maddening isn't it?

What about scenery and planes? I've got stock scenery and stock B58, perhaps it requires other scenery or planes? Can you try it on your system with stock?

Tried again, on my 680, rebooted, deleted profile, tried other values no difference at all, maddening isn't it?

What about scenery and planes? I've got stock scenery and stock B58, perhaps it requires other scenery or planes? Can you try it on your system with stock?

Do you have AA turned on is FSX or something? That box needs to be unchecked and the driver needs to overide any application setting.

I can only tell you that SGSAA on makes a massive impact on the last 3 PCs I have installed FSX on. All with the same setup of FSX and Inspector.

Glenn I have almost worn out my pc

I am starting from a paused saved flight so the same view comes up each time, I unpause and watch the fences and trees go by:

I tried AA on and off in the sim, makes no change.

I tried 2xSGSS on and off, made no change.

Making any change to Antialising - Setting works fine.

So all your settings make a difference, except those.

I can only tell you that SGSAA on makes a massive impact on the last 3 PCs I have installed FSX on. All with the same setup of FSX and Inspector.

But are you ACTUALLY trying it now - as we speak?

I also tried the BN2 Islander and displays no shimmer like it does in DX10. But sgss made no difference to it in DX9.

Yes, just did it. Used several aircraft and scenery situations. Text in the realair duke v2 and legacy is easily distinguished using the SGSSAA at 2x and off. 

You are restarting FSX after changing the settingsin inspector right?

Steve, I tried turning off SGSS (since I use only DX9) per your advice here before Glenn had responded to you and I noticed for myself that the difference is in fact night and day; very obvious shimmering with SGSS off. A shame, since performance was also much better with it off...(another real difference, even though I'm running DX9--clearly something is happening).

James