Sign in to follow this  
BrianG

GTX 960 upgrade has down graded performance

So i'm not "deliberately being obtuse or if you are trying to not so gracefully back pedal" thank you very much. 8xS+anySGSS looks like 4x4SS, but is slower - so not only does 8xS+anySGSS simply appear to invoke the 4x4 method but also takes more time with no improvement to the image quality.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Doesn't work for me.

4x4 ssaa is a massive perf hit. Locked at 30 in the ra legacy at egbb it's dropping to 23 ish

8xS + 2x sgssaa is a much better option for me. Stays pegged at 30 fps lock value

So Glenn try this, set 8xS + 2xSGSS, compare it to 8xS + 8xSGSS, are you seeing any improvements? I'm seeing what looks remarkably like 4x4.

What tools do you have at your disposal to accurately measure fps with 8xS + 2xSGSS and 4x4. I'm seeing no change in image quality, but i'm seeing at least 5fps improvement with 4x4 on a GTX680.

I already answered this earlier Steve.

See my comments regarding 2x vs 4x sgssaa settings.

In short, yes I do see a difference.

The forum is also full of people who would love to run at 4x and 8x sgssaa for the iq but can't because of the perf hit.

4x is my preference bu I settle for 2x due to performance

So we know that internally the textures and build up of images and the way they blend together is different between D3D9 and D3D10. We know that the "Antialiasing - Setting" does not work with DX10. I have been testing the two AA 'strategies' shown above and see that 4x4 is faster than 8xS+2xSGSS, and looks the same.

Here is an excerpt from Word Not Allowed who used to be a member here:

"Thanks to Ryan (Tabs) in PMDG forums, we have come pretty close to some conclusions, but there is in my opinion a missing link:

Sparse Grid Supersampling.

Now, if you google and read about it, you’ll find out that it’s very hard on the system but it provides unprecedented quality. One thing everyone is so annoyed by, shimmering, it solves most of shimmering in cockpits and trees/autogen:

2x SGSS not as hard on the system (shimmering reduced greatly)

4x SGSS very hard on the system, especially cloudy situations (absolutely no shimmering)"

This again highlights that differences in the sgssaa settings do make a difference.

Perhaps this setting correlates to 2x2 ssaa, 4xssaa etc?

If your theory is correct and setting sgssaa simply invokes full screen ssaa.......

Brian, I'm thinking that you have been getting poor results whatever AA etc. It could be something else, maybe to do with the way threading works differently on NVidia cards to your AMD Radion. Can you tell me your CPU and is it hyperthreading enabled? I'll get back to you on the AA, but let's check out the CPU loading first. Are you using FSX-SE or FSX?

Steve, i'm running just FSX ( not FSX-SE) the Cpu is an I7-870 2.93 GHZ. Don't know if it hyperthreading enabled/disabled. Can't seem to access the Bios on start up to check. Is there a easier way to see if it's enabled/disabled. Just so I know, is hyperthreading a good thing or not for FSX.

Yes, I've tried just about all possibilities with NI and CP. nothing seems to make a difference. Interesting note, when the 6800 blew up, the original slot on the MB where it was plugged into never worked properly again. Had to use as different slot with the 960. So maybe it's a MB issue that even caused the 6800 to cease functioning? I'm just speculating. Going to have the entire system stress tested tomorrow to hopefully expose any system shortcomings.

Let me know on the hyperthreading. BTW, MB is a Gigabyte GA P55-83 USB 3. Might be time for a new system all together. this one is clearly dated. This current MB won't support any later generation CPU than the 17-870 to my understanding.

As for testing, I could use fraps but no point when the difference was so massive.

23 fps with 4x4 ssaa

30 with 8xs and 2xsgsaa

I'm not sure you are reading this right Glenn. "See my comments regarding 2x vs 4x sgssaa settings" you have to try 8xS+2xSGSS, then try 8xS+8xSGSS, do you see a difference in performance or image quality YES/NO.

23 fps with 4x4 ssaa

30 with 8xs and 2xsgsaa

Sounds like you have something totally wrong to me. I get a performance increase with 4x4.

I would have to try 8x sgsaa but if I can see the iq and perf difference between 2x and 4x I would expect the same between 2x and 8x sgsaa

You are suggesting that no matter what level of sgssaa I set there is no difference? Right?

No I'm suggesting that 8xS + any level of SGSS AA looks the same.

Haha I have just realised that the times of both 8xS + any level of SGSS AA vs 4x4 are actually identical. Because it's so identical the timings I thought i'd selected the same result twice. I think that's it over and done then Glenn.

Yes adding any level of SGSS to 8xS looks like 4x4, and all with identical fps times too.

So if you can try that please Glenn.

SteveW, on 23 Apr 2015 - 3:42 PM, said:

Brian, I'm thinking that you have been getting poor results whatever AA etc. It could be something else, maybe to do with the way threading works differently on NVidia cards to your AMD Radion. Can you tell me your CPU and is it hyperthreading enabled? I'll get back to you on the AA, but let's check out the CPU loading first. Are you using FSX-SE or FSX?

Steve, i'm running just FSX ( not FSX-SE) the Cpu is an I7-870 2.93 GHZ. Don't know if it hyperthreading enabled/disabled. Can't seem to access the Bios on start up to check. Is there a easier way to see if it's enabled/disabled. Just so I know, is hyperthreading a good thing or not for FSX.

Yes, I've tried just about all possibilities with NI and CP. nothing seems to make a difference. Interesting note, when the 6800 blew up, the original slot on the MB where it was plugged into never worked properly again. Had to use as different slot with the 960. So maybe it's a MB issue that even caused the 6800 to cease functioning? I'm just speculating. Going to have the entire system stress tested tomorrow to hopefully expose any system shortcomings.

Let me know on the hyperthreading. BTW, MB is a Gigabyte GA P55-83 USB 3. Might be time for a new system all together. this one is clearly dated. This current MB won't support any later generation CPU than the 17-870 to my understanding.

Ok Steve,

Out of years of reading this forum, you are the first person I have come across that is a complete 180 on the accepted way of setting up inspector with fsx.

Personally, I can see a performance and iq difference between 2x sgsaa and 4x sgsaa when used in conjunction with 8xS aa.

We will have to agree to disagree.

I would love to see this discussion moved to the main fsx forum because there will be some huge changes to be made in many people's setups if you are right.

Also, nickn, Word Not Allowed, the avsim guide, sim forums, pmdg have been very wrong for a long time!

I'm not one to blindly follow guides but my testing backs up this traditional viewpoint.

Hey Guys,

Can we please stick with the topic. Arguing over SGSS AA settings isn't what is needed here. We determined no settings are helping my performance problems. Steve suggested taking a look at my CPU threading and the differences between Radeon and Nvidia. I replied to his request ( see post 52 and 57) but all I'm hearing now is this back and forth stuff that isn't moving this original topic anywhere. I really appreciate everyone's help, don't get me wrong. But perhaps you might open a separate thread to discuss the virtues or lack thereof of various sgsaa settings.

Best,

Brian

Brian what is your CPU and HT setting?

...sorry I see it now in my quote you posted, back later.

Brian, can you run Task Manager, and look for "logical processors" should say 4 or 8.