Sign in to follow this  
BrianG

GTX 960 upgrade has down graded performance

Steve.

Been trying to access the Bios to see if the hyperthreading is enable or not. Can't get in there. I'm running just FSX ( not FSX-SE) the Cpu is an I7-870 2.93 GHZ. Is Hyperthreading recommended or not for FSX?

Yes HT is good. Task Manager, right click on the task bar and should be an option there, should see the CPU details in the performance tab.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Brian, can you run Task Manager, and look for "logical processors" should say 4 or 8.

Steve,

Only thing I'm seeing in task manager>performance is CPU History usage. it's showing 8 boxes. Where in tak manager should I look for "logical processors"?

OK those 8 boxes are your logical processors, four cores each 'pretend' to be two, means eight logical processors.

Can you edit the fsx.cfg and put at the top:

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=254

There's more to these CPUs than meets the eye, so put that in and I can be confident that the sim loads up the CPU properly. Look to see if you already have a JOBSCHEDULER section, and use that if you have.

Again, in the performance tab, CPU usage history is showing 8 boxes. Does that mean hyperthreading is enabled?

Yes HT=On.

OK. I think I had affinity mask set at 14 but took it out. BRB

Ok. I just put it in the FSX.CFG

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=254

All other tweaks including highmemfix=1 are NOT there

Good AM=254, 14 would have caused a problem.

With the NVidia control panel choose the FSX profile in 3DSettings, Restore, Apply, choose anisotropic 16x and Apply, Close CP.

Go into NInspector and choose the new FSX profile, should already be set to 16x aniosotropic.

In the Antialiasing section Antialiasing - Behaviour Flags None, Antialiasing - Mode Override any.., and Antialiasing - Setting 2x2 [2x2 Supersampling (D3D only)], and Apply Changes.

Try the sim with no tweaks for now, can put that stuff in later.

In the sim go into display settings and set Antialiasing to Off and choose your usual other settings. Have a fly around, see what the performance is like. Speak later.

Steve, thanks for all your help. Did all the above. Still hovering around 10 fps and dips into single digits half the time taxiing around KSFO. 18-20 FPS under same circumstances with old Radeon card. I'm going to have the machine stress tested tomorrow. MB could have problems as mentioned in previous posts. Any other suggestions. You've certainly gone out of your way to help here. Much appreciated.

best,

Brian

That's a shame. I hoped it would be something simple. Possibly your MB+GPU setup needs adjustment or a bios defaults. I wouldn't worry just  yet that the card is faulty. The settings we made, we can pick up where we left off later. I will press your friend button so you can find me.

Have a think, have you done anything else, other than install card and drivers? Did you remove the AMD drivers, things like that?

I've not been messing too much with hardware lately, but there could be a setting in the MB settings for the memory on the GPU which is double now. I'm fairly confident the PSU is good enough, and the load should be similar. Have a look into those MB settings.

Yep. I confirmed with Nvidia drivers are up to date.  Got all the old AMD drivers out with a utility called Driver sweeper, recommended by in this thread. I'll sleep on it. Take a look at Bios settings tomorrow. Thanks again,

Cheers,

Brian

Yep. I confirmed with Nvidia drivers are up to date.  Got all the old AMD drivers out with a utility called Driver sweeper, recommended by in this thread. I'll sleep on it. Take a look at Bios settings tomorrow. Thanks again,

Cheers,

Brian

Still sounds like a driver conflict to me.

Try this driver remover, super easy to use.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Make sure you take the "Reboot in Safe Mode" option.

I suggest running it twice, first to remove any old AMD files then again to remove your latest nvidia driver. Then reinstall the nvidia driver.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Maybe he should also delete the "shaders" folder within the FSX folder, no? And also get rid of the "logbook". What would also be nice is to see the FSX.cfg as he uses it now, might be an issue there. The driver cleaning stuff is surely the first thing to do when switching from AMD to nVidia (or the other way around).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Maybe he should also delete the "shaders" folder within the FSX folder, no

No, that will break the Sim beyond repair, FSX will never be able to compile its shaders if you do that.

What the OP should have done is :

1: delete the shader files in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\ and delete the FSX.cfg

2: completely remove all remnants of the ATi drivers using whatever the best tool is for ATi cards.

3: Shut down and swap the cards, reboot and install the Nvidia Drivers then run FSX, after that it is just a matter of choosing the best AA mode for the DX version you are running under.

Tried again, on my 680, rebooted, deleted profile, tried other values no difference at all, maddening isn't it?

That's FSX for you, Steve. It has been confirmed (by sources that must remain anonymous for the present) that voodoo magic was used when the source code was compiled, so that's probably why no two results are ever the same. I suspect that this also applies to VAS management aswell, which is why someone with a billion complex addons can run FSX quite happily all day long, and yet someone else gets an OOM when they install one :smile:

For the record, using 4x Super Sampling (or 8x for that matter) was never anywhere near as good as using 2x Sparse Grid Super Sampling. However, framerates were higher with the Super Sampling.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png