Sign in to follow this  
TigerJones

ILS Input

Hello,

is there a short way to input the ILS frequency without having to go through the whole FMC process for the Flight?

rgds

Harry

Do you use the FMC at all?

You could just enter the airfield you want to land at then DEP/Arivales then enter the rwy you want to land on. That's about .45 seconds.

That's a very dirty way.

Flying the 777 with no flight plan? That's just not nice

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Hi, 

Another way is to enter the ILS frequency and bearing directly in the radio page of the FMC.

Format is XXX.XX/XXX.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

The FMC process takes a few minutes only. The more times you do it the quicker and easier it gets. It's well worth setting it up in a basic way.

As well as entering origin and destination as mentioned above it only takes a few seconds to enter the aircraft weight on PERF INIT page. Without that the PFD speed tape bugs and markings will not have any data to help you.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Hi, 

Another way is to enter the ILS frequency and bearing directly in the radio page of the FMC.

Format is XXX.XX/XXX.

This for the RAD NAV page. Make sure you enter the zeros as well (it's 109.50/006; 109.5/6 would just not work!), and make sure it's the frequency from your scenery and not from a chart found on the internet: The ILS receiver will "listen" to your scenery, not to your chart, so your scenery frequency rules!

And, as indicated by Kevin already, filling in the Zero Fuel Weight will help you a lot with the speeds (clean, flap extension, stall etc.).

Do you use the FMC at all?

You could just enter the airfield you want to land at then DEP/Arivales then enter the rwy you want to land on. That's about .45 seconds.

That's a very dirty way.

Flying the 777 with no flight plan? That's just not nice

I just started with the 777 and FMC.

There where only three flights yet. One of them was the tutorial

I think it is OK if I first do some touch and go's before I try long range.

Hi, 

Format is XXX.XX/XXX.

Thanks! That was what I needed :-)

This for the RAD NAV page. Make sure you enter the zeros as well (it's 109.50/006; 109.5/6 would just not work!), and make sure it's the frequency from your scenery and not from a chart found on the internet: The ILS receiver will "listen" to your scenery, not to your chart, so your scenery frequency rules!

And, as indicated by Kevin already, filling in the Zero Fuel Weight will help you a lot with the speeds (clean, flap extension, stall etc.).

Yep, I will practise that.

One more question:

I tried the tutorial from Male to Dubai.

I inserted all Data and everything worked fine on the whole trip.

Except one thing:

At Top of Descent the Aircraft did not descent. I had to do it manually.

Did I do something wrong or is this normal?

Except one thing:

At Top of Descent the Aircraft did not descent. I had to do it manually.

Did I do something wrong or is this normal?

Have you set a lower altitude in the MCP altitude box before reaching the TOD?

What is displayed in the FMA? During cruise,the FMA should display VNAV PATH.

During descent, the FMA switches to VNAV SPD or VNAV PATH depending on the stage. 

If it displayes VNAV ALT, it means that the altitude setting on the MCP prevents the FMC from following the path calculated and the aircraft remains at the altitude set on the MCP.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Have you set a lower altitude in the MCP altitude box before reaching the TOD?

What is displayed in the FMA? During cruise,the FMA should display VNAV PATH.

During descent, the FMA switches to VNAV SPD or VNAV PATH depending on the stage. 

If it displayes VNAV ALT, it means that the altitude setting on the MCP prevents the FMC from following the path calculated and the aircraft remains at the altitude set on the MCP.

Where is this MCP altitude Box?  Do you mean Altitude on on the Autopilot panel?

I also get an amber warning "Landing Altitude"

Sorry, MCP means Mode Control Panel, it is the autopilot panel. So I mean you have to set a lower altitude on the autopilot to allow the FMC to enter to descent mode.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Sorry, MCP means Mode Control Panel, it is the autopilot panel. So I mean you have to set a lower altitude on the autopilot to allow the FMC to enter to descent mode.

Ah, OK. No, I didn't change altitude.

Thanks for help.

And about the last question - "landing altitude" ?

Sorry, what do you mean? The altitude to set on the MCP or how to set the landing altitude?

In doubt here is an answer for both:

_ Altitude to set on the MCP for descent: it doesn't matter for the FMC as long as it is lower than your actual altitude, the FMC will carry on the descent to comply with the path calculated (including altitude constraints).

A good advise, however would be to set it to the lowest altitude you would like to descent if you were using a mode other than VNAV (like FLCH or V/S) in case of something going wrong with the FMC and you would have to revert to another mode. That altitude could be the next altitude constraint of the STAR/approach or the MSA of the area you are flying.

_ Landing altitude: It is set automatically by the FMC when selecting a destination airport. However, you can set manually on the overhead panel. 

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Sorry, what do you mean? The altitude to set on the MCP or how to set the landing altitude?

In doubt here is an answer for both:

_ Altitude to set on the MCP for descent: it doesn't matter for the FMC as long as it is lower than your actual altitude, the FMC will carry on the descent to comply with the path calculated (including altitude constraints).

A good advise, however would be to set it to the lowest altitude you would like to descent if you were using a mode other than VNAV (like FLCH or V/S) in case of something going wrong with the FMC and you would have to revert to another mode. That altitude could be the next altitude constraint of the STAR/approach or the MSA of the area you are flying.

_ Landing altitude: It is set automatically by the FMC when selecting a destination airport. However, you can set manually on the overhead panel. 

I meant the amber warning "Landing Altitude" next to the N1 and EGT Indication, where all other warnings also appear.

A landing altitude warning message on the EICAS may mean two things:

_ The FMS doesn't supply the landing altitude (the destination airport is not selected in the FMS or the landing altitude is not known?)

_ The landing altitude selector on the overhead panel is pulled.

You should have a look at the FCOM v2 from page 2.10.11, 2.30.1 and 2.50.2. 

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

I meant the amber warning "Landing Altitude" next to the N1 and EGT Indication, where all other warnings also appear.

It means the FMC doesn't have that information. As well as a destination airport you need to select the landing runway at that airport. Once you've done that the FMC knows what the landing altitude is and the EICAS warning will disappear.

ki9cAAb.jpg

It means the FMC doesn't have that information. As well as a destination airport you need to select the landing runway at that airport. Once you've done that the FMC knows what the landing altitude is and the EICAS warning will disappear.

According to the FCOM v2 page 11.43.10:

"Until an arrival approach has been selected into the active flight plan, the destination airport altitude is used by the cabin altitude controller."

I didn't know that the landing alt message was triggered when an approach was not selected though. I always fly with an approach selected.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg