Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

SSD slower loading times than recently

Has anyone experienced through the addition of add-ons a point in time where your FSX boot-up has significantly started to take longer? MY FSX start-up times have gone from about 1-2 minutes to 4 minutes and I can't figure out why. 

Yes, it follows logically that the more add-on aircraft and sceneries in my system, it will take longer to load the sim, which in my case is P3D.Same could be happening to you too.

Yes, it follows logically that the more add-on aircraft and sceneries in my system, it will take longer to load the sim, which in my case is P3D.Same could be happening to you too.

It may be MT6 that did the job on it...although that's on a HDD not my FSX drive. Seems it slowed after that installation though. I figured a SSD would still push through fast as it's a SSD.

I too have NT6 and yes, admittedly, my P3D now does take a while to load, but not that long it makes me want to go make a cup of coffee.

Yes, SSD drives are fast, but I think their main advantage is loading the OS fast, not other multi-nefarious software, which will be limited by the way that software is designed and developed. So, IMHO, I think the same thought pattern applies to loading AI traffic and and the sim too.

I'm not sure if it's SSD or hard drive related. Whenever I start FSX, there is a high CPU usage on the main FSX thread. 

It may be MT6 that did the job on it...although that's on a HDD not my FSX drive. Seems it slowed after that installation though. I figured a SSD would still push through fast as it's a SSD.

It is MT6, my FSX on SSD with a lot of aircraft and scenery loaded very quickly, since MT6 I can now make 2 cups of coffee, balance my checkbook and read the NY Times. I still like MT6 over UT2, just need to get rid of Air Force One.  :P

Could be that your SSD is getting full - they don't load so fast if they are low on free space - can't remember offhand how much freespace you need to leave.

My SSD seemed to get slower the more it got filled up.

IAN

ps - should leave around 10% to 15% free

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

You can run Process Monitor to see what is loading at startup.  Use the setup in the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 4, so that only FSX and FSX addons are loaded and none of your Windows services, etc.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim

I have that Process Monitor. How could I close down the Windows Services to just let P3D to load? Any tips most welcome from you.

Thanks

Regards

(PS, what do you think of that talent from Texas at Augusta recently?)

I guess that something is parsing through all aircraft folders on startup. This may be FSX itself or something like EZDOK. I have long ago resorted to drastic measures, by using symlinks my sim gets only those planes I intend to fly at the present time. All AI planes (UT2) I moved to a 8 GByte RAMdisk. That took care of loading times.

LORBY-SI

Well my AI planes are on a different drive and I have over 100gb of a 256gb SSD available.

LOL guys, i cant believe you are taking 5-10 minutes to load FSX.

My FSX folder is about 20GB only, majority of freeware addons.

Cheers :)

N.-

Well my AI planes are on a different drive and I have over 100gb of a 256gb SSD available.

Mine are also on a different SSD and MT6 killed my quick load time. MT6 must be looking for something each time you start FSX in my opinion.