Sign in to follow this  

Saw a group on for a 40" Samsung 4k tv capable of 3840 x 2160 resolution.  Anyone using one of these beasts for their primary monitor for FSX pr P3D?

colin 

...funny, just came back from Costco, and was about to post the same question, and noticed that Samsung  curved screen too, wonder if there is any one that can post an

opinion /review

Cheers

Yair   

Do these TVs have any inputs besides HDMI? I have tried HDMI through my video card with terrible results, and wouldn't want to run FSX using the HDMI output.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

My current monitor has a resolution of 1920x1280, and my video card has both HDMI and DVI outputs. So I tried both to see if there was any difference. In my own experience, DVI blows HDMI away - there was no comparison. Brightness, clarity, sharpness, everything was way better with DVI. I don't think resolution alone will do it - I may be wrong, but I don't think HDMI is the way to go wit a computer monitor.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

There are a lot of recent topics here in this forum about 4K TV's being used as a monitor.  You have to be careful and do a lot of research.  Some require a really good video card to run it.  Some do not like the resolutions and they look blurry.  Some say it is sharp and crisp.  That's why it is always good to look through the subjects here in this forum and read some of the comments from those using a 4K TV as a monitor.  Samsung also has a 34 inch 4K curved monitor (not a HDTV but a monitor) that is currently available.  A 4K TV is certainly cheaper though.  A lot of individuals have 42" and higher 4K HDTV's and like them but sometimes the quality is not as good as a monitor and you need a really powerful video card or a SLI setup.  They are all discussed here in this forum though and very recent, I mean, in March/April timeframes.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

About HDMI x DVI, I also faced same problems with HDMI but at the end, with proper settings and a proper TV/Monitor, today HDMI and DVI have exactly the same appearance for me. Not to talk about the old analog VGA connector, that always presented very crisp and clear signals, even compared to HDMI. It seems the chroma subsampling or the way the TV presents color, using HDMI, plays an important role. Video card set to 32-bit color is also important. In my TV, for example (Philips full HD 32”), I have to turn it on before the computer, otherwise I get artifacts on screen, something like the chorma subsampling issues I mentioned before. Also, switching among sources on the TV and back to the PC yields similar results and for “fixing” it I have to turn the TV on and off. I´m sure with correct adjustments you can get a good image with HDMI unless you TV/Monitor has some limitations using this interface. Some useful information on 4k monitors: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1381724-official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread.html.

Read up on refresh rates. TVs dont usually have the same refresh rates as monitors.  Do your own due diligence.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png