Sign in to follow this  
ramprat

Autopilot

Hi All,

As with most Carenado products, the autopilot logic is esoteric at best.  This one is the worst yet IMO.  I have followed the Carenado Pro Line 21 User Manual instructions with no success.  So, I am starting this thread in hopes of getting some input on how to get the Hawker to navigate and control altitude (ascent and descent) and keeping the info in one place where it's easily accessible for us all.   Also, if anyone can make the GTN750 work with this bird, that would be great.

Thanks,

Bill in Colorado

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

My friend told me to get the ALTS mode working (altitude capture), first set alt mode then use vs or FLC - I haven't had time to try it yet

Still that method is backwards

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

My friend told me to get the ALTS mode working (altitude capture), first set alt mode then use vs or FLC - I haven't had time to try it yet

Still that method is backwards

Thanks Ryan,

I'll give it a go and see what happens.  If it works, then all we have to figure out is how to get it to stay on the flight planned course.  I'm beginning to think the GTN750 integration might be the best answer. 

Take care,

Bill

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

I have the same frustration with the autopilot:

1.  PFD should indicate "AP" when autopilot is engaged...  not YD, or blank..

2.  PFD should indicate HDG when heading mode is engaged... not blank when in ALT mode..

3.  VS mode should indicate selected VSI

4.  When I select a target altitude, I expect FLC to get me there, not go past it

Bert

Bert and guys I figured out ALTS.  Basically just set an ALT in the window, and once on AP, select your lateral mode if desired, then just use the scroll wheel... don't use FLC or VS... and ALTS will work.  Of course that's worthless because FLC is the safest way to climb.

altsdonttouch.jpg

altsworked.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks Ryan.

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Carenado wrote me about my concerns for the VS and FLC modes:

We modeled and programed the aircraft according to the real one and the plane´s AP works like that, one system is the VS mode that keeps the rate of climb until you press the ALT HOLD and the other is the ALT SEL, where you can select the altitude and change the rate of climb with the up or down wheel (not selecting VS or won´t level at the selected altitude).

The FLC mode it also works like i´m explaining to you.

^ I'm just not sure I understand what C is saying, every PL21 I've seen has ALTS in conjunction with VS or FLC mode.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I'm surprised they didn't use the system they have in the PC12 as the alt arm/FLC seems to work in that.

Carenado wrote me about my concerns for the VS and FLC modes:

We modeled and programed the aircraft according to the real one and the plane´s AP works like that, one system is the VS mode that keeps the rate of climb until you press the ALT HOLD and the other is the ALT SEL, where you can select the altitude and change the rate of climb with the up or down wheel (not selecting VS or won´t level at the selected altitude).

The FLC mode it also works like i´m explaining to you.

^ I'm just not sure I understand what C is saying, every PL21 I've seen has ALTS in conjunction with VS or FLC mode.

That statement doesn't describe a Pro Line 21 autopilot at all.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

That statement doesn't describe a Pro Line 21 autopilot at all.

Ahhh, and therein lies the problem folks.  They modeled something other than a Pro Line 21.  I would love to see Carenado team up with someone who knows RW systems and avionics.  That would put them up in the top tier IMO as they already make one of the best visual models.  Maybe someday??

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Well, in an attempt to get something working while we wait for a patch, I made a little headway using the GTN750.  I found using the FSX key command for Nav instead of the Hawker NaV button worked to couple the Hawker to the GTN as far as following the flight plan is concerned.  However, I haven't figured out how to get the Hawker to fly either an ILS or an RNAV approach.  The APP button on the panel doesn't work and the FSX Approach mode key command doesn't work either. 

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

The autopilot is too complex for that GTN. It is integrated with the FMS and doesn't speak the simple language of Garmin.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

The autopilot is too complex for that GTN. It is integrated with the FMS and doesn't speak the simple language of Garmin.

Thanks Ed.  I have not been able to consistently couple the autopilot to an approach without the GTN.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  I can't figure out what is what.  I suspect that complexity factor is at play and there might be some variable I am unaware of.  Hope they fix this thing soon.

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Rats that's a shame. Now we've gotta get this FMS figured out.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

The FLC sort of works - but it's buggy. It doesn't seem to be correcting when reducing speed, and the correction when you're reaching up to the set speed isn't fast enough.

Next step is to delve into the coding...