Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Possible SimConnect issue...?

Pete and Rob, thanks for the input and answers to my questions. As for background processes I've already cleaned out anything not absolutely needed using msconfig but thanks anyway.

Mik75, I've gotten used to rely quite heavily on EFB for the type of flying I do so I would rather not fly without it. Also as I think I mentioned in one of these threads before I find it strange if EFB would be the single culprit since I've been able to use it before since I switched to P3D without any stuttering issues. At this time and after the reinstallation of P3D including all my addons I think it might have been a SimConnect issue since things are looking much better now although still not perfect. Could also be the latest version of P3D that plays a role in all this since that is one of the few things that has changed.

I'll keep my fingers crossed the actual culprit eventually will be found and fixed since I'm apparently not the only one seeing this problem and until then I guess I'll just have to learn to live with the stuttering still left since the reinstall. At least now I know I did everything I could on my side to get rid of the issue.

Richard Åsberg

Could also be the latest version of P3D that plays a role in all this since that is one of the few things that has changed.

If you want to go the road of diagnostics you can always test without EFB data bridge and see if that solves the issue.  Not a solution obviously, but identification is a step forward and then you can hit up LM/AivlaSoft for input if identified.

I did have a stutter problem when I had both ESP client and FSX SP2 client installed with v2.5 12945.  I uninstalled ESP client and that resolved the issue.  BUT, other's have the same situation (ESP, FSX SP2, FSX SP1 all installed) and have not reported any issues so in my case it's something specific to my setup.  My issue is why I  tried to locate a stand alone ESP client so I could attempt to figure out why the two SimConnect clients didn't seem to get along.  Re-installing P3D every time I want to get the ESP Client wasn't an attractive option.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm now doing yet another test flight ESSA-EKCH and this time without EFB (and boy do I feel blind-folded without EFB :wink:).

What I did part from not using EFB for this flight is I moved all the traffic sliders to 0 from 15 since I might have had them at 0 in the past when I didn't have the stuttering issue. I also changed another thing. Up until now I've been using a software called Virtual Audio Cable to be able to record all sound including the ATC communication when recording clips for YouTube. No idea if that could cause these kind of issues but worth a try I guess. Then again I've been using this software to redirect the sound for a long, long time without any issues so I highly doubt it plays a role in all this but at this point I'll try to do pretty much anything trying to find the actual culprit.

If this won't fix the stuttering I will make a complete system image of my current P3D installation so I can easily restore it and I'll then try uninstalling the ESP SimConnect client to see if that might help also in my situation.

For anyone with the know-how and programming skills I think one software that could give you a fortune would be some kind of analyzer tool for FSX/P3D monitoring all the most important parts of the sim affecting overall performance and then showing any bottlenecks in an easy to view GUI.

Imagine having this kind of analyzer tool, the days of spending days or even weeks or months on troubleshooting performance issues would be over - just fire up the program and let it show you exactly when you get poor performance and why.

Guess it's very hard to accomplish if even possible because otherwise I'm surprised this kind of software doesn't already exist considering all the time people spend on these kind of problems and have been doing for as long as I've been within this community which is a considerable amount of years...

Richard Åsberg

Just landed at Copenhagen after one of the smoothest flights I've had in many weeks now which makes me both happy and sad...happy because of the pure joy of experiencing smoothness again when flying...absolutely wonderful and almost forgot how good it can feel.

Sad on the other hand since this most likely means EFB indeed is the culprit because I have a hard time believing the other things I did (turn the traffic sliders all the way to the left and disabling the Virtual Audio Cable repeaters) would have caused my stuttering issue.

Will however try adding these things back one at a time to see what happens starting with restoring the traffic sliders back to 15%. The Virtual Audio Cable software isn't that much of a deal if I can't use anymore because I think I'm pretty much done recording flights for YouTube for the time being.

EFB on the other hand will be more tricky learning to live without if that is how all this will end because it's of tremendous help when flying "real" airline flights online on VATSIM with ATC and things often tend to happen rather quickly where it's imperative to always in an easy way be able to look up a different SID, STAR, taxiway, ILS freq etc etc. IIRC Navigraph is offering charts but maybe there's better solutions...will need to look into this. One thing though that felt better when not using EFB was it felt more realistic since you don't have a moving map IRL but instead need to rely on static charts although mostly in electronic form these days.

Of well...very nice anyway to end this day with a smooth flight!

Richard Åsberg

I did have a stutter problem when I had both ESP client and FSX SP2 client installed with v2.5 12945.  I uninstalled ESP client and that resolved the issue.  BUT, other's have the same situation (ESP, FSX SP2, FSX SP1 all installed) and have not reported any issues so in my case it's something specific to my setup.  My issue is why I  tried to locate a stand alone ESP client so I could attempt to figure out why the two SimConnect clients didn't seem to get along. .

The SimConnect clients are just DLL's installed in the Windows side-by-side library system, and are just libraries used by applications which explicitly reference them. I don't personally know of any applications which specifically select the ESP one, and if removing it didn't cause any problems with any of your add-ons then nothing was using it so it was never actually loaded into memory at all.

The actual SimConnect code itself is built into assorted modules withing the main parts of P3D (according to the function being used), and is therefore identical no matter which version of the library is used. The library is merely a stub system for exporting versions of the assorted procedures compatible with the development level of SimConnect at the time.

Because I have to test my software with all platforms, every simgle possible SimConnect library is installed on my PCs. The ones not used are never called upon, so this does no harm whatsoever. It just takes a little more disk space.

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

This was a little bit above my head but in short are you saying having multiple versions of SimConect shouldn't cause any issues since only the version referenced by any certain addon will be used?

Richard Åsberg

This was a little bit above my head but in short are you saying having multiple versions of SimConect shouldn't cause any issues since only the version referenced by any certain addon will be used?

Yes ... not to speak on Pete's behave but I'm pretty sure he and I are on the same page.

I don't personally know of any applications which specifically select the ESP one

Ironic, today I installed Split X (Aerosoft) and it requires ESP client ... which I don't have installed and is not deployed with Split X.

I agree with you 100% Pete, removing ESP client should NOT have made a difference that's why I suggested something specific to my environment ... and I don't know what other than no ESP, no problem.

Anyway, now I must find me a stand alone ESP client installer ... ugh.

Cheers, Rob.

Sorry to hear about you finding out the need for the ESP SimConnect client Rob. Almost a bit ironical since we just discussed it and how it will probably never be needed...I hope you find an easier way to get it back in other than a reinstall.

Me I just experienced an issue also related to a missing SimConnect version. I'm using an application for helping out with the model matching when using vPilot. The application is called VMGenerator and it comes with a tool called Test.exe that will let you check for any issues with your installed AI models. This tool failed to execute and checking the Application Event Log in Windows showed the reason was SimConnect 10.0.61242.0 was missing so guess I'll have to reinstall that one and hope it won't cause any other issues...don't you just love our hobby :wink:

Richard Åsberg

Phew ... found the ESP Client SimConnect without having to re-install P3D.  Sadly I'm pretty sure I'm not permitted to share it ... anyway, for those interested the ESP 1.0 Software Developer Kit is still available if you have a MSDN subscription (not sure what level is require, I have the Ultimate subscription level).  

Install the ESP 1.0 Software Developer Kit ... after install, navigate to the usual suspects, example:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft ESP\1.0\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib

execute SimConnect.msi -- this will install Microsoft ESP SimConnect Client v1.0.20.0  (which is exactly the version Aerosoft Split X is looking for).

Cheers, Rob.

I just experienced an issue also related to a missing SimConnect version...the Application Event Log in Windows showed the reason was SimConnect 10.0.61242.0 was missing

Back when FSX came out it was in Standard and Deluxe versions which used 60905 initially. Then service pack one introduced 61242. Early addons may have referenced 60905 (Build RTM 60905), or 61242 (Build SP1a 61355). Later when Acceleration came out that installed 61259 (Build SP2 XPac 61637). So it's reasonable to assume that many addons would refer to 61242, just in case the user had not installed Acceleration.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks Steve, that makes sense but I thought installing SP2 on a non-Acceleration FSX would install the same version of SimConect you got with the Acceleration version?

That FSX Acceleration and FSX SP2 were pretty much the same thing minus some fighter a/c and maybe some other things as well missing in FSX SP2.

Richard Åsberg

That's right, but often they had only installed up to SP1a, and back then it made a difference. Even FSX-SE installs all versions now to avoid problems.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Guest Mik75

You really should try to shut down EFB's data provider, WebMaximus, once the stuttering appears. I am pretty sure that the stutters will immediately disappear. I used EFB on quite a few flights in P3D 2.5 without these stutters, or at least with less drastic stutters. But I am pretty sure that I've done these flights in the Aerosoft Airbus. The NGX causes more severe stuttering on my system. Other than that, the weather, the scenery, all of that is an important factor for how early and how bad the stutters occur (on my system). But everytime I shut down the data provider, the sim becomes completely fluid again, no matter how dense the scenery or how severe the weather is.

By the way, on the Aivlasoft forum, I am not the only one who has reported this issue.

That's right, but often they had only installed up to SP1a, and back then it made a difference. Even FSX-SE installs all versions now to avoid problems.

Well, as long as having several versions installed doesn't impose any issues I don't mind.

You really should try to shut down EFB's data provider, WebMaximus, once the stuttering appears. I am pretty sure that the stutters will immediately disappear. I used EFB on quite a few flights in P3D 2.5 without these stutters, or at least with less drastic stutters. But I am pretty sure that I've done these flights in the Aerosoft Airbus. The NGX causes more severe stuttering on my system. Other than that, the weather, the scenery, all of that is an important factor for how early and how bad the stutters occur (on my system). But everytime I shut down the data provider, the sim becomes completely fluid again, no matter how dense the scenery or how severe the weather is.

By the way, on the Aivlasoft forum, I am not the only one who has reported this issue.

Already tried it and seems we're in the same boat, read my post a bit higher up in this thread :smile:

Richard Åsberg