Sign in to follow this  
757 Fanatic

Migrating from FSX to X-plane

Hey - After enjoying the X-plane demo, I bought it and haven't looked back to FSX. X-plane rendering is far superior to FSX, in particular the draw distance. No matter how far I set the LoD_Radius in the FSX config, the terrain in the distance is too blurry. Even with ORBX FTX Global with settings maxed out, the ground textures just don't cut it. P3D too has this problem, being directly descended from FSX. In X-plane, the landscape, bar the autogen, is far more aesthetic than anything FSX/P3D has to offer in my opinion. The distance is rendered beautifully, and the autogen phases out slowly; unlike in FSX where it immediately stops at a certain radius from my plane. However, the only thing keeping me tied to FSX is the PMDG 737 NGX. X-plane does not have a study sim NGX, but does have a study sim 777, which I find is better than PMDG in most areas except texture quality. So, the point of this thread is, now that PMDG have developed their first aircraft for X-plane, what is the possibility of them making their 777 and 737 compatible with X-plane in the future? Will this depend on how successful the DC-6B is in retail? If they don't sell many copies, will they abandon what plans they have for X-plane? When can we expect to see their NGX in X-plane? 

X-plane does not have a study sim NGX

Bit of a :P reminder but.. the real plane is called (737) 'NG' (no X).

As for future releases on X-Plane, that's as much as there is from PMDG themselves. Assuming it is still current information:

Upon completion of this project [DC-6], we will evaluate the market demand and the Xplane platform's viability as a platform for future growth of our PMDG BAe JS4100, PMDG 737NGX, PMDG 777 and PMDG 747-400v2.0 product lines with an eye toward making these products available to Xplane users.

I would welcome more and more PMDG titles in X-Plane since that's a sim which already allows for the extensive use of installed and virtual memory space for example. An item which rose to become the Achilles heel of FSX and P3D, especially when using their planes and some nice scenery. Apart from the flat runways that is. ^_^

Since you are a 757 fanatic, did you already take a look at the FlightFactor 757 Pro? Seems like their aiming point is very much in line with what PMDG tries to establish, including official Boeing support if that matters to you.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The X-Plane General Discussions Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Hey - After enjoying the X-plane demo, I bought it and haven't looked back to FSX.

That's what I did in the beginning of March. For now I keep my FSX/P3D stuff updated, but I don't use it... I am very busy using XP10. It's simply great!

Since you are a 757 fanatic, did you already take a look at the FlightFactor 757 Pro? Seems like their aiming point is very much in line with what PMDG tries to establish, including official Boeing support if that matters to you.

The FlightFactor 757 Pro is outstanding. I very much enjoy the freighter version.

I also bought the FJS 737-200, the JAR A320 and A330 and "Peter's A320".

XP10 simulates the world in a great and superior way and so it is a real adventure to experience all those different A/Cs.

Big fun and very much recommended from my side! B)

I think you will see that X Plane has come along ways and has so much more to offer in so many ways. I made the move a year ago and have seen so much improvement in just a year, and more is coming real soon. :rolleyes:  

P.S. one thing which I really really like about XP is the simple way in which scenery can be added and removed, and the scenery add-on's by the community is just outstanding.

So, the point of this thread is, now that PMDG have developed their first aircraft for X-plane, what is the possibility of them making their 777 and 737 compatible with X-plane in the future?

Put it this way, if PMDG don't do it, somebody else sure will. IXEG, I'm certain will be on of them with the 737 classic. As developers learn more about the platform and the libraries and utilities improve, there will be more and more powerful addons (The same was pretty much true for FSX, look at what is available now compared to a 2-3 years after FSX's release)

I saw this topic at the other forum website, which consisted of a few pages of comments. Since I didn't have my password handy, I actually didn't respond.  So............I will now. I do have a computer than runs at a higher end. I7 3960x & Geforce 980.  The 3960 is still way up there, performance wise. It just takes a bit more power than the newer cards. I'm able to run X-Plane and FSX at very high frame rates. Both sims run really smooth. It's nice to see FSX run with fluidness, that X-Plane has. In some situations, I can still drag the frame rates of both sims down. I don't have P3D.

I am extremely happy, that I can run both simulations. I do love "eye candy", and especially mountains. I live in a mountain area, and flew (real life) in these mountains for many years. X-Plane really does a great job with mountains.  On the other hand, I can be flying in some excellent mountain areas with X-Plane, only to head down the other side, and then the scenery becomes repetitive and bland. And in situations such as this, It might be Orbx, for FSX that looks awesome. So..............the reality is, there is just too much real estate in this world, that still needs a lot of programming from various authors. Until that's all covered, it certainly makes sense for me, to use what ever sim looks the best, for the particular area I'm flying in. Flight dynamics were mentioned at the other forum, and I don't see it brought up here. Since I did do a lot of real life flying over the years, as well as building and owning a high performance plane..............I know that flight dynamics can be very good in either sim.  If FSX had poorer flight dynamics all of these years, I wouldn't have been using it.  I'm a 50/50 person, when it comes to simulating flight dynamics and eye candy.  One doesn't work with out the other.