Sign in to follow this  
cva1077

Lest We Forget

This year marks the 100th anniversary of the ANZACs' landing on the shores of Gallipoli, Turkey. This is a tribute to the ANZACs who paid the ultimate sacrifce, and to all past and current servicemen and women of the Australian and New Zealand Defence Forces'

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

anzac.jpg

This is a tribute to the ANZACs who passed away defending their country,

What? I thought they traveled all the way to Turkey to invade that country and it was the Turks who  died defending their country.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

What?...

You seem to be quite offended at me paying tribute to my countrys' defence force personel, nonetheless, I have changed the wording of my original post.

You seem to be quite offended at me paying tribute to my countrys' defence force persone

Oh no..not at all. I am not even  Turkish. I just thought the wording seemed kind of weird, is all. Factually so not correct. Hence. After you changed it, it looks good.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I understood the intent of the original wording. While I have always understood the strategy of the landing, I've still have some serious reservations with the actual tactics employed.

In any case, I salute with great respect the service people involved! :Applause:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

What? I thought they traveled all the way to Turkey to invade that country and it was the Turks who  died defending their country.

Hey Manny, In Canada they have Remembrance Day, In the USA they have Memorial Day, In Australia and New Zealand they have ANZAC day which is these two countries equivalent to honoring all wars and sacrifices and not just the Gallipoli Campaign. Your comment is just as inappropriate if it was made towards Remembrance Day or Memorial Day as well. This was a World War 1 engagement and every troop in that war was sent off to a foreign country to fight in a far off place, Doesn't matter if you were from Boise, Idaho, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan or Christchurch, New Zealand.

ANZAC Day is a day to honor those who died due to circumstances out of their control and it is not about the policy makers that put them there, it is the same for Remembrance Day and Memorial Day as well. For me I am Canadian and Newfoundland was heavily involved in the engagement as well. The former British Empire had a policy of using its colonies as pawns in war and saving the troops from England for other battles, this is because it was easier to have heavy casualties from countries like Australia or New Zealand or the Dominion of Newfoundland then to answer for those losses from English troops to the families in England. This was one of those situations and casualties were heavy, and the loss is still a legacy today 100 years later.

When your country marks its day of remembrance or memorial I will respect that too.

Cheers

Matthew Kane

Guest JustanotherPilot
When your country marks its day of remembrance or memorial I will respect that too.

Cheers

ytzpilot

Thank you for expressing in words, for others, what we Aussies learn from Birth. Another example of sacrificing the Colonies is how Churchill would not release Australian Troops fighting in the Middle East (under British command) during World War II, to defend Australia against the Japanese military advancing towards our Home. It was only a defiant Australian Prime Minister, against Churchill's wishes who brought OUR troops back to fight for Australia and stop the Japanese in New Guinea, less than 300 miles from mainland Australia.

Slowly, and with inevitability Australia will one day, be a Republic.

Edited by JustanotherPilot
Please do not quote the entire post. Thanks!

Thank you for expressing in words, for others, what we Aussies learn from Birth.

No problem. I am a big time history buff and have taken part in ANZAC day ceremonies every year since I have moved to New Zealand.  If people are not from or have not been to Australia or New Zealand they simply just won't get it. 

Matthew Kane

For me I am Canadian and Newfoundland was heavily involved in the engagement as well. The former British Empire had a policy of using its colonies as pawns in war and saving the troops from England for other battles, this is because it was easier to have heavy casualties from countries like Australia or New Zealand or the Dominion of Newfoundland then to answer for those losses from English troops to the families in England. This was one of those situations and casualties were heavy, and the loss is still a legacy today 100 years later.

Oh really, big-time history buff ?

Well, lest we not also forget, alongside the ANZAC forces at Gallipoli, the 21,255 soldiers from the U.K and Ireland ( the largest casualty figure of any nation ) who also perished there - amidst the claims of Colonial troops being sacrificed, the toll on Churchill's own country always seems to be overlooked.

RIP all of them.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

In the interests of accuracy and understanding the estimated deaths in the Gallipoli Campaign were:

Ottoman Empire 56,643     United Kingdom 34,072 France 9,798 Australia 8,709 New Zealand 2,221 British India 1,358 Newfoundland 49 Total Allies 56,707     Austalia & New Zealand (ANZAC)  10,930

I am an ex-pat Kiwi, and know full well the reverance surrounding ANZAC Day. I think that ANZAC Day does not as much represent which side someone was on, but rather the expendability of troops when the outcome is already known to be failure before it even begins.

Bruce.

Ironic that on a forum board in a hobby where the majority of people can't be bothered to use the search function or look up anything through any other means, the contributors here seem to be able to either recite or research history with so much fervor.

Oh really, big-time history buff ?

Look Paul, ANZAC is Australian and New Zealand equivalent to Remembrance Day, no need to get nasty over it. I also observe Remembrance Day because I was born in Canada but now I live in New Zealand so I take part in ANZAC as well. I will be respectful to you on Remembrance Day so I would expect the same from you. This isn't about counting how many casualties from each side etc so I won't partake in such discussions, the meaning of the day gets lost in such discussions.

Cheers

Matthew Kane